Thread: How do I design a page that will print consistantly on most printers?

Addicted Member Daniel_Christie's Avatar
    I have a document that I plan to have customers visit and I need it to print out consistantly on most common brands and styles of printers.

It is not a form it is more like a word document with only minor formatting, IE: a legal contract.

How does one ensure printing consistantly?

Suchas is there a way to preset the page set up for the following: Right, Left, top, bottom margins? Paper size, Oreintation, and # of pages to print?

If there is a way, then please can some one provide me a source code I may study to accomplish these settings?
    I appreciate all of your time and effort,
    Daniel Christie
    VB 5 and 6 Enterprise Editions,
    Html, Java scipt, Vb script,
    & etc...
    http://www.qwcd.com

Would it be possible to use something like Adobe Acrobat, or even post it as a Word document? From my experience, the printing is dependent on how the web browser interprets the HTML.

Josh

i don't think so. Like josh said, it is mostly how the browser interperates the page. The closest you could get is to probably just save it as a .txt page, because that seems very universal. But that wouldn't have the formatting that you need. If you stick with minimal amounts of formatting, avoid tables, div's images etc, it should be realtivly similar on everyones machine.

No matter what you do, someone is always going to set their fonts in their browser to like extra extra large, and that will override whatever you do. So the safest way is adobe acrobat, or plain text.

I think Josh T hit the nail on the head. Adobe would be a good answer.

Crystal 8 has a web reporting component that presents reports documents/reports exactly as you want, that's the direction I'd go.