Thread: Whistler

Fanatic Member
    Does anybody of you have installed a beta of Windows Whistler? And what do you think of it?
    I've installed Beta 1 Build 2296. It hasn't crashed yet. It looks quite promising.
    I can upload a screenshot, if you want.
    Oetje
    oetje@home.nl
    Visual Basic 6, Windows 2000

Never pet a burning dog

Frenzied Member
    Please do!!!! I've read a lot about it but haven't seen anythng about it.

...adn id think quite a lot of people will like to get it, where did u get it from?

Originally posted by oetje
    I got it from a warezsite..
    Which one? how big was it?

Originally posted by chenko
    Which one? how big was it?
    Ditto!!! I want! I want! I want!!!

Fanatic Member
    The site has put it in MySpace accounts.. and they really suck. If you know a good ftp, I can upload it.
    Oetje
    oetje@home.nl

Never pet a burning dog

How big is it? i dont know any but what about Xdrive? i use the windows drive mapping for it and its fine for downloads , but it seams to crash for uploads thou

If you could just give us the credentals im sure it wont be that bad,
    thanks simon

Fanatic Member
    It's about 350 mB. What are credentals?
    There's something called the 'Credential Manager'. Do you want that or something?
    Oetje
    oetje@home.nl

Never pet a burning dog

Frenzied Member
    You can upload it to my FTP server, I can't have it on 24 hours, but it will be on (at least) untill about 8 PM today (for about 6 hours). here's the address:

ftp://24.18.203.163/

the user name is:
    vb
    the password is:
    vb
    NXSupport - Your one-stop source for computer help

Hey Dimava.

You got a lot of MP3 Songs in your ftp Server..
    Interesting !
    If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing !!!
    [Download Tag Editing Tools.]

credentals are Username and Password.... im not gonna be able to download it today... when will it next be connected... wat speed connection are you running?

Frenzied Member
    I'm trying to keep it on as much as possible, I have cable, the only problem is that I need oetje to upload it first.

I say go for it Oetje!!!

VP
    VP/Sonic taking on the (vb) world, one post at a time.

Fanatic Member
    Dimava, I get connection refused when I try to upload.
    Oetje
    oetje@home.nl

Never pet a burning dog

Frenzied Member
    try again, i just turned the software on, also, get on the aim so we can talk incase it doesn't work

Hyperactive Member tumblingdown's Avatar
    How goes it with mischevious munchkins? Any joy?
    I have a second ftp server if required.

td.
    "One logical slip and an entire scientific edifice comes tumbling down." - Robert M. Pirsig

tumblingdown@hotmail.com

"but if Einstein is right and God is in the details, reality requires that we sometimes get religion." - Scott Meyers.

td, is it up 24/7?

It can be if required ;-)

td.
    "One logical slip and an entire scientific edifice comes tumbling down." - Robert M. Pirsig

tumblingdown@hotmail.com

"but if Einstein is right and God is in the details, reality requires that we sometimes get religion." - Scott Meyers.

dont worry mate im fine, ive found someone who will send me a copy thru post (i have slow connection!)

Thanks anyway
    Simon

Frenzied Member
    oetje, are you going to upload it?

Thumbs down Dimava:

Your avatar is sick.

It rocks!

td.

tumblingdown@hotmail.com

Ah...now that avatar is much better...I don't like macs.
    Was that one done in Flash? I seem to recall seeing similar transitions done in one of the demos before...rather cool.

How about giving it a transparent background tho...?

yeah, very flash, but not as funny as the MacOS!

td.

tumblingdown@hotmail.com

You guyz are still on Whistler beta 1??? i mean 2419 is out since a WHILE and beta 2 is coming out SOON, i have like every version since it was out for beta, and to get it the best place is IRC, and no im not saying any place, if you can't figure out that ur not worthy of being a beta tester
    *Rudy^
    Visual Studio 6 Ent. SP5
    Windows 2000 SP4
    Windows XP SP1a

Very impressive Rudy. I bet your a really good hacker too ;-)

Personally, i just get it from work.

td.

tumblingdown@hotmail.com

Sorry if this sounds a little stupid, but whats IRC? I would really be interested in downloading whistler.

thanks

VP/Sonic

Hyperactive Member
    At the risk of sounding like a complete moron...What is Whistler?...OK OK stop looking at me like that....Guys?
    Mahalo
    VB6(SP5), VC++, COBOL, Basic, JAVA
    MBA, MCSD, MCSE, A+
    Computer Forensics

Whistler is the next operating system by microsoft (yes, the same people who created cough cough bought cough cough DOS)

IRC is Internet Relay Chat. It is a _real_time_ chat system with rooms, privates etc.

Whistler will bring 2000 to the ME masses.

td.

(ok, and some other stuff ;-)

(also, while i'm feeling flipant, Rudy, if you get Whistler off irc, you can't really call yourself a beta tester;-)

tumblingdown@hotmail.com

Hyperactive Member
    So whistler, will replace Win9x, NT, ME????
    Is it a 64 bit O.S.? I guess I need to go to MS to read up on it.
    Thanks!
    Lee
    Mahalo
    MBA, MCSD, MCSE, A+
    Computer Forensics

Hyperactive Member
    I found this info, but you probobly already know this:

Speaking at a London press conference earlier this month, Microsoft VP for IT Infrastructure and Hosting Jim Ewel announced that the upcoming Windows release known as "Whistler" will include a range of new security options, including one that will block any software lacking a valid digital signature. Though implemented in response to e-mail-attachment viruses like the Love Bug and Melissa, the new feature will extend to "every piece of code executing on the machine," Ewel told British reporters.

A Microsoft spokeswoman says that Ewel's announcement was consistent with security features in Windows 2000. "This is part of our overall commitment to security. ... Signed drivers and trusted applications are features found today in Windows 2000, and this capability will be supported in future versions of Windows," she says.

Fear Of Redmond's Reign

Microsoft has not yet laid out details of the new feature, however, and some analysts fear that it could increase the giant's power over Windows software developers.

Win2K currently recognizes two types of signed code. A "trusted application" is signed by the software publisher, allowing end users to determine its source and verify that it has not been altered or tampered with. Developers may purchase the cryptographic certificates used to create such a signature from Verisign Inc.--Microsoft has no say in determining who may receive such certificates or what software may be signed. Windows 2000 will not automatically warn or block users from using untrusted applications; end users must manually check applications to determine whether they have a valid signature.

Windows 2000 does, meanwhile, include an option that will automatically warn or block users from installing unsigned drivers--the software code that allows a computer to control hardware like printers. Developers wishing to have their drivers signed must submit them to Microsoft for testing, which maintains complete control over the signing process.

So much for Warez appz. working any more!
    (not that I have any of course)
    Mahalo
    MBA, MCSD, MCSE, A+
    Computer Forensics

ok to explain what Whistler is (btw it's now officialy named Windows XP: Are you eXPerienced), it's the new version of Windows that combine ME and 2k, what it basicly do is add the compatibility of 9X and the stability of NT and a new UI. Right now it's still only a beta and is far from being as stable as the final will be and as compatible but it more compatible than 2k and almost as stable (im using Whistler 2419 as i am writing this msg). It will be released in 5 versions:
    -Personal (upgrade to 9X/ME)
    -Profesional(upgrade to Win2k Pro)
    -Server (upgrade to Win2k Server lol)
    -Advanced Server (upgrade to Win2k Advanced server)
    -Data Center (upgrade to Win2k Data center)

Personal and Pro should be released Sept 2001 and Server/Advanced Server should be out Early 2002 and Data Center Spring 2002

Right now i have Win2k pro and Windows Whistler 2419 on my computer but im waiting for Windows XP Beta 2 (whistler beta 2) and ill format my computer and use only Windows XP, i dunno but build 2419 load about as fast as ME and is as stable as 2k so it's the best of both world btw beta 1 and before were REALLY slow lol but they did a lot of optimization i guess, my computer start really fast and stuff like that it;s all good

tumblingdown: Well i might not be an OFFICIAL beta tester but i proly send more stuff to MS than a real one (i dont send the stuff FROM my computer but i send the stuff to one of my friend and he send it for me, he;s a beta tester ^_* )
    *Rudy^
    Visual Studio 6 Ent. SP5
    Windows 2000 SP4
    Windows XP SP1a

Only joshing with you Rudy ;-)

td.

tumblingdown@hotmail.com

i know i know eheheh but since i got build 2419 i didn't send anything heheh weird but it didn't crash yet
    *Rudy^
    Visual Studio 6 Ent. SP5
    Windows 2000 SP4
    Windows XP SP1a