Thread: [RESOLVED] Invalid TLV Record - CR XI

Resolved [RESOLVED] Invalid TLV Record - CR XI

I have searched and it seems that this is an error having to do with the Merge Modules but on the server where CR XI is installed I cant find any folder containing "Merge Modules".

I dont want to install them if they are already there. Plus the server runs an Enterprise App that contains CR 9 reporting and viewer control. So I dont want to create a conflict.

Just need something that can validate the need of the MM's and that they wont interfere with CR 9. CR XI runs fine on the server but when I converted a CR 8.5 report that worked to XI and saved as a different name, the error appeared when I linked it up to my code.

Thanks
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Hyperactive Member

Re: Invalid TLV Record - CR XI

Invalid TLV means the report is not a recognized report. Running an XI report on CR 9 print engine might actually cause this problem. Haven't tried it myself.

On my system the help says

Enhanced Deployment Options
    Deployment has been enhanced to allow application deployments that work every time.

The RDC merge modules are now automatically installed to \Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules. You have the option to update these merge modules when you run the new Crystal Reports Patch installation service through the Crystal Reports designer.
    The merge modules support recent versions of InstallShield.
    Enhanced configurable deployment options allow full control over deployed database and exporting DLLs.
    So you might find them there on your system also. I found them in that directory on my system.

HTH rasinc

CR XI is installed on the system so any dependancy modules shouldnt be needed. If I was deploying the app and reports then Merge Modules would be needed.

If found these KBA that may help but Im still looking.
    http://technicalsupport.businessobje...d=1 0 19812785

http://technicalsupport.businessobje...d=1 0 19812785

I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Hyperactive Member

I've seen systems running under Terminal Services not be able to run Crystal because the dll's were not in a path on the server that could be seen by the remote users. I moved them to the Windows\system32 directory and it ran fine. Could be just a path issue?? Based on the links you found, the dll's are not being used appropriately but if they are installed, it just could be a path issue. Guessing at this point but I spent about 4 hours figuring out I had to copy the files to a different directory and it worked.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Today it just hit me. I have CR 8.5 code and even though 8.5 dependancy files are installed and working fine, by using a converted XI report may cause a version conflict perhaps. Im going to test it out by late binding the CR objects in my VB 6 code and see if that fixes the issue.

I'll post back soon with the results of both and yes I am connecting to their server using its terminal services and rdc.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Re: [RESOLVED] Invalid TLV Record - CR XI

YEA! Got it. It was simply the code needing to be late bound but needing to be specifying the exact version. I dont have CR XI locally so I was using the original version of 8.5. When I upgraded the report to XI it created the invalid tlv. Duh! So I late bound it from this article and it worked. Their server has CR 8.5, 9.0, and 11.

Code:
    Set crxApp = CreateObject("CrystalRuntime.Application.11")
    http://technicalsupport.businessobje...d=1 0 19860700

Thanks for your replies.
    Last edited by RobDog888; Apr 7th, 2008 at 03:07 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Hyperactive Member

Glad you got it working. No thanks necessary, I didn't do much. You've helped me out more with the posts you have made than I ever will here.

I do a lot of Crystal design for use in other applications but while I've only tested the RDC a bit myself, I am currently using the OCX with Crystal 8.5 in my own programs. I have been playing around with XI and will be switching one of my main programs over later this year but I might be switching it to .Net instead of VB6.

CR in .NET will bring the same complications if you have the standalone full version of CR. God this issue really hammered my timeline but you got me to search the BO website too and figure out how to implement your post.

Running an XI report on CR 9 print engine might actually cause this problem
    Which was actually the problem so Thanks

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

This problem is also related to what I'm looking for. This problem is solved by registering the dll file via RegSVR32 for the crqe.dll file. If you have trouble registering the crqe.dll file try moving the file in the D or E folder and so on. Don't put it in another folder