Thread: Perl script - monitoring a directory

Perl script - monitoring a directory

Does anyone know how to create a perl script or a bash script (whichever works the best) that monitors a specific directory and then copies the NEW files and directories that were created since the last check? Is it possible to do this?

For instance, if i have a directory with a bunch of text documents in a bunch of different folders that sits on the server and then on a computer it has the same folders and files but the computer files will be updated. The server is a backup server. So the the program checks to see what directories and files are there. Then the next check it notices 2 new folders and 10 files compared to the backup directory on the server. It should then copy the files and folders from the computer machine to the backup folder on the server.

Re: Perl script - monitoring a directory

This sounds like a perfect use case for rsync.

rsync will synchronize the contents of two directories (possibly on different machines), copying only what has changed between the two.

basically, you say:

Code:
    rsync -av /source/dir@source /dest@dest
    which synchronizes copies the (updated) contents of the directory /source/dir on the computer source to the directory /dest on the computer 'dest'.

Check the man pages or google for more information.
    Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules -- and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.

Well the one machine is a windows machine, so am I going to have to run an rsync server on that machine or could i just mount the samba share to a directory like /mnt/smb and sync the two directories locally on the machine?

Unison is a file synchronization program based on the rsync algorithm and runs on linux/mac/windows/solaris. I have found it to be easy to use in my experience with it.
    CSS layout comes in to the 21st century with flexbox!
    Just another Perl hacker,

I second that. I use unison on Network shares, multiple OS'es and to update websites in a production environment along with change management tools.
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.