Thread: VB2003 Standard to VB2008 Express

VB2003 Standard to VB2008 Express

If I had a Visual Basic.NET 2003 Standard program that's working just great and I wanted to "upgrade" it to Visual Basic 2008 Express do you think everything would work ok. What does Visual Basic 2008 Express lack in comparison to let's say Visual Basic 2008 Standard. Or should I say what does Visual Basic 2008 Express lack that Visual Basic 2008 Standard won't lack when it comes out. I'm under the understanding that it's coming out around February. If it's already out that's news to me.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Interweb adm/o/distrator Paul M's Avatar

Re: VB2003 Standard to VB2008 Express

Not to sure never actually used 2003 but i believe it makes use of the .NET 1.0 and 1.1 while 2008 supports 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 so it is quite a change. How big is the application anyway? If it is of large scale then it would certainly be a difficult task

1.0/1.1 frmaework is not 100% compatible with 2.0 or above. Some functions have been discontinued.

The Express editions can produce the same code that you can with the standard or above but you wont get mobile device support or other supported functions and wizards etc. Unless you are doing medium to large sized apps for business, the express editions are just fine. Plus they are free
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Special Guest - Microsoft

Here are a few more significant limitations of Express:
    - It enables local data only in the tools, vs. client-server data connections
    - It enables client development only (Windows Forms and WPF), not Web, Mobile or Office. However Web development is available in VWD Express.
    - It has Clickonce deployment but not formal MSI setup projects

The full power of the .NET framework is there so you could drop down to code to accomplish tasks if needed. It's just not as easy as using the tools. VS Standard upgrade is available at $199, just fyi. Pricing details are here:
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/aa700832.aspx
    Paul Yuknewicz
    Lead Program Manager
    Microsoft Visual Basic
    http://msdn.com/vbasic

Would Visual Basic 2008 Express work with ClickOnce?

Another question. I use a lot of graphics commands like Drawline, DrawBeziers, RotateAt, etc, etc, . Would all of that stuff work ok with VB2008 Express.
    Make as many mistakes as you can as quickly as you can. We want to make sure that we make a great enough number of mistakes in a given amount of time so that we can be successful.

"Persistence is the magic of success." Paramahansa Yogananda

Yes, your gdi+ graphics code will still work.
    ClickOnce is still in Express 08 so I would assume its still the same.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Special Guest - Microsoft

Confirmed.
    Paul Yuknewicz
    Lead Program Manager
    Microsoft Visual Basic
    http://msdn.com/vbasic