Thread: WinForms Login

WinForms Login

C# version here.

Here are some simple steps to create login functionality in your WinForms app.

1. Create a new WinForms project.
    2. Add a new form to act as the Login dialogue. You can use the item template supplied with VS or create your own.
    3. Open the ApplicationEvents code file from the button on the Application tab of the project properties.
    4. Create a Startup event handler using the drop-down lists at the top of the code file and add the following code:
    vb.net Code:
    1. Using loginDialogue As New LoginForm1
    2.     e.Cancel = (loginDialogue.ShowDialog() <> DialogResult.OK)
    3. End Using
    5. Add the logic to your Login form to validate the credentials supplied by the user. You may like to use this as a basis.
    6. If the login succeeds set your Login dialogue's DialogResult property to OK. If the user presses the Cancel button or fails to login within a prescribed maximum number of attempts then set the DialogResult to something else.

If the user logs in successfully the app will start normally, otherwise it will exit without ever creating a main form.

Hyperactive Member

Re: WinForms Login

How to perform step number 4 ?

Quote Originally Posted by LuxCoder
    How to perform step number 4 ?
    I think you should be able to work that out for yourself. How many drop-down lists do you see at the top of the code file?

I have attached a VS 2008 project that demonstrates logging into a WinForms app by validating against a database. An Access database (MDB format) with three existing users is included in the project.

Note that the login form contains code to validate using a Data Source and code to do it all manually. There is a Boolean constant that can be toggled to change which gets used. I added a scalar query to the TableAdapter in the designer to provide the validation functionality.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    I have attached a VS 2008 project that demonstrates logging into a WinForms app by validating against a database. An Access database (MDB format) with three existing users is included in the project.

Note that the login form contains code to validate using a Data Source and code to do it all manually. There is a Boolean constant that can be toggled to change which gets used. I added a scalar query to the TableAdapter in the designer to provide the validation functionality.
    Any chance you could convert this to vb I tried using an online converter but it keeps giving me an error

thnaks

Quote Originally Posted by mikejs View Post
    Any chance you could convert this to vb I tried using an online converter but it keeps giving me an error

thnaks
    Um, it is VB.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Um, it is VB.
    Doh idiot, I am stuck trying to get it to connect to a remote SQL server I have added the remote connection strings to my app config and kept the other referances the same for now (same DB tables) if I run the app with tableadaptor I get "Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done." error on this line

Code:
    Return adapter.GetUserCountByUserNameAndPassword(Me.UsernameTextBox.Text.Trim(), _
                                                                 Me.PasswordTextBox.Text).Value > 0
    if I try to run it as a data adaptor I get this error "An OLE DB Provider was not specified in the ConnectionString. An example would be, 'Provider=SQLOLEDB;'."

and ideas

thanks

M

Quote Originally Posted by mikejs View Post
    Doh idiot, I am stuck trying to get it to connect to a remote SQL server I have added the remote connection strings to my app config and kept the other referances the same for now (same DB tables) if I run the app with tableadaptor I get "Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done." error on this line

Code:
    Return adapter.GetUserCountByUserNameAndPassword(Me.UsernameTextBox.Text.Trim(), _
                                                                 Me.PasswordTextBox.Text).Value > 0
    if I try to run it as a data adaptor I get this error "An OLE DB Provider was not specified in the ConnectionString. An example would be, 'Provider=SQLOLEDB;'."

and ideas

thanks

M
    I have sorted out my remote conection can anyone point me in the right direction in order to md5 hash my password field or is it possible to have a secure tunnel (connection to the SQL server?)

thanks

Mike

Sorry me again is it possible to have the login redirect to a diffrent form if user is in say the admin table
    I know I need to run a query like

compaire username and password in User table if >0 form1.show() else comapure username and password in Admin table if >0 admin.frm.show()

I am just not sure where I would add this logic to your code any suggestions thanks

M

@mikejs: you're going beyond the scope of this thread. You should start a new thread in the VB.NET forum.