Thread: Output to fax machine and modem

Has any one some ideas on where to start to access both a external fax machine and modem fax machine from within a VB application.

I've done this using automation to fax word documents from vb. the same method would probably work for excel documents. however, there is a major problem which is with the fax program. I've been using microsoft fax. the problems are machine dependent - that is to say it might work fine on one machine and not on the other. When it works, it works just fine, with no problems.

the two problems i've encountered are:

1) when sending multiple faxes, faxes are not queued, only the first one gets through

2) no faxes get through

in both cases, you get a "no transport provider" which means there is no fax software installed, but in fact there is.

this is not a problem with VB at all, just the underlying fax software. I'm still working on this problem and will be trying Winfax this coming week.

The general method i've used is:

1) create a word application object
    2) create a word document object
    3) make the word document into whatever you want
    4) use the word applications SENDFAX method to fax it.

this method requires either exchange or outlook as well as some underlying fax software.

I am also looking in to using the FAX objects provided in the SDK, but haven't got far enough with that to make any statements about it.

sendfax in vba

Has anybody figured out how to use sendfax in vba?

I wonder how many charact
    Well, this might be helpful, i dont know, but fax drivers should be available through the Printer object, at least my program can send reports to the fax driver... without the need for Word or Exchange...

simply its like printing to the printer... you just have to enumerate and identify the fax driver from the Printers collection.

So if thats something that you're wanting to do, let me know.

printing to the fax can be done .... but how could you automatically pass the fax number to the fax software so that it is done without user input.

I wonder how many charact
    (Pulled from the internet)

Hi All,
    Sending Faxes through VB and MAPI is just like sending Mail. I refer you to one of my previous tips How to send Mail using VB (with Microsoft MAPI Components).Click here

Use exactly the same procedure here except when it comes to adding the MAPIMessages1.RecipDisplayName. Instead of supplying an email address here you can supply a fax number in the following format:

MAPIMessages1.RecipDisplayName = "[FAX:myfaxname@111 1111]".

Happy Faxing...

Regards,

Scott Pyke

fax within vba

Thanks.
    Does this work within vba? (not vb)
    - adam

That will only work if you want to fax through the internet but thats not a great idea. You have to make sure your outlook is setup right to do it. And its not fool proof.

Addicted Member
    Outrage01,

It worked for me !!!!!

fax and Mapi

What do you mean with myfaxname ??? I have only a faxmodem. What is myfaxname???

Thanks