Thread: VB5 EXE Creating ??? HELP!!!!

I have VB5 enterprise Edition, I was wondering, can you create an .EXE file larger than 6MB, is there a .EXE MB Size limit?

as far as i know ... i dont think there is any ... why ? is there any specific problem u are facing ?? specify ...

Well, I was creating a slide show w/ midi songs a while back and for some it would only create up to a 6MB EXE file. I figured that was odd, since it was the Enterprise Edition of VB5. But then just worked around it and forgot about it. Well another Slide show project has come up. I have 3 wav. files, around 30MB each, and close to 160 .jpg pictures. So needless to say it is a large slide show, this is why I was wondering. So are there any specific problems or ways around this?

Hyperactive Member

Use a resource file .res.

------------------
    Tom Young, 14 Year Old
    tyoung@stny.rr.com
    AIM: TomY10
    PERL, JavaScript and VB Programmer

Do you really need to have the wav-files in your app? Wouldn't that just make your app extremly large and slow? I suggest to just make a "link" to the wav-files, and and have them outside the app.

This may make the App slow, but since I'm burning it on a CD and giving it out as a gift, I really don't have a choice. Also what would the .res do for me, and where would it be used? Thanks for all the suggestions...

Of course you have a choice!

Have the Wav-files in the same directory as the app, and run the wav-files from the app.
    There is a command for running wav-files, but I don't remember it. If you don't find it, you can use the active movie control.

I have never understood how to include files in your exe. How do you go about it? I have long wondered how to "pack" wav files and the like into the exe so that users could not screw with them. Hints?

Simply place the wav in the same directory (or a subdirectory) as the exe. In your code, just include as a file name

App.Path + "\subdirectory\filename.wav"

Hyperactive Member

If you use a resource file the app won't get much slower since the resourcefile isplaced somewhere at the end of your app and will only be loaded when needed.
    Still, putting the files seperately on the cd-rom is a better option I think...

On the .res file what should I place in it. Should I crate a link to all the jpg. flies outside the app as well as the .wavs and the timer, or should I just have the .wav files outside the app?

dude, forget the .res files. no need for them. Load your jpeg files & wav file just like you'd load any other document. compiling them into the app is clumsy. Also, if you don't compile them in, then maybe you can use the app in the future for other slide shows.

Hyperactive Member

indeed
    wise words
    a tip: dont use ole for anything whatsoever any time ever - slooooow

------------------
    cintel rules
    www.cintelsoftware.co.uk