Thread: Know of Any Good "Game Programming with VB .NET" Books?

Know of Any Good "Game Programming with VB .NET" Books?

I've been coding in VB .NET for a while and I've taken several college programming courses, including VB .NET ones. I've also read several VB .NET books.

However, none of these things, so far have really gave me any experience in Game Programming. The courses I've taken and the books I've read are all about creating Business Applications. I've tried applying these concepts to create games, but it just doesn’t work out to well. None of things have actually taught me how to create things like sprites, 3d models, and work with sound using VB .NET.

So, what I'm looking for is a good book that teaches Game Programming using VB .NET. I've looked around on the internet quite a bit, but can't seem to find one. The ones I've seen are either based on a different programming language or an older version of Visual Basic.

If you know of or have read a book about this topic, please tell me about it.

Thanks in advance,
    Underworld1020

Re: Know of Any Good "Game Programming with VB .NET" Books?

I doubt you'll find a Game Programming book dedicated to VB. I think the best you'll find is .NET Game Programming with most.. if not all examples in C#.

Switch to C#

chem

Visual Studio 6, Visual Studio.NET 2005, MASM

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Probably a good idea as "Game Programming with VB .NET" returned virtually nothing when I ran it in Google.

Well switching to C# is not what I had in mind, at least not yet. I figure that I should learn VB .NET first, and then move up. I'll make the switch eventually, but not just yet. Plus from what I've read, there's not really much of an advantage making the switch anyways, considering there both using .NET.

So let me ask another question then...There's tons of professional game programmers in the world, what did they read to get them where they are? There's tons of books on programming for business applications, but hardly any for programming for games. They must know something that I don't. They must get the information from somewhere. So where would that be?

None of them started with Visual Basic.. if any did.. not many did

C++ is the definite way to go for Game Programming.. definately

chem

Have a look at this site.

gamedev.net is better :P

..it actually has articles

chem

I'm not a gamer, so I will take your word for it.

Interweb adm/o/distrator Paul M's Avatar

C++ is good like chemicalNova said, but i would seriously look into using XNA (C#) if you are going to use C++ obviously use OpenGL.

I have a ton of books on game programming from engine design to AI. Chem is right C++ is the language of choice.

Hell lord is correct also C# is on the up and up. Were as C++ uses directX and open GL, C# has XNA which is a wrapper for directX making it cleaner and easier to use.

My feeling would be not to stop learning VB.net but to pick up a second language. I would prob still pick C++ because it is a universal language and not tied to any company.

Also as chem suggested check out gamedev.net, it has alot of articles, including one on which is the best language to use.

EDIT: if you are serious about game programming be prepared to learn a hell of a lot of C++ before you can even begin to make a half decent tetris or mario knock off, game egines themselves can run into a couple of 100 lines of code.

Note that this you take for granted in VB will have to be manually implemented such as watching for events, graphics and resorces management and then the usual handling of logic etc. You really need to know alot of ANSI C++ before deviating on to anything else.

Good look and i hope you have alot of fun.....
    Last edited by CodedFire; Oct 5th, 2007 at 05:10 AM.
    Languages: Visual Basic 05/08, C# 08
    IDE: Express Editions
    Framework: 2.0, 3.0, 3.5

Lesson 5: Don't take domestic advice from perpetual singles. - Mendhak

I will have a look at those game development sites because I'm sure they have a ton of information. However, it would be easier if there was a book that contained all the information in one place and in a logical order. To go through thousands of articles would take me years. But, still I'll have a look and try to find something that catches my interest.

It seems that people tend to look down on VB .NET, but isn't it really just using the class libraries just like all the other .NET languages? So it would be a matter of syntax really. I guess the reason would be, that VB is aimed at making things easier, where as C# and others are not...and that would tend to leave out some advanced features. I've heard that C# uses AndAlso and others by default unlike VB which uses And by default. And that would be an example of VB making things easier, but also taking away something more advanced.

So I can see why people say move to C#, but the thing is...I just want to get started in VB and then when I truly NEED those advanced features, I'll move to something else like C#. But for now I'm just looking to learn how to program games using VB, because then I'll be familiar with the some of the class and such that are involved with such things as graphics, and sound. After that when I NEED something more advanced I’m trying to create the next GTA game, I’ll move to C#.

As for C++, I can’t see why it would be beneficial for me to learn it. Right now it’s what most people are using, but that will surely change over the next few years. So if I started learning it now, by the time I finally got a grasp on it, nobody will be using it anymore. Plus I’ve tried to learn C++ about five years ago, but I couldn’t understand it. I was reading out of a great book, but it was too much for a new programmer. If I were to try to learn it now though, I’m sure I would be able to understand it much better. But, I just can’t see why it would be beneficial for me to do so.

So my point is even though C# or C++ might be better for game programming, it’s not really a good decision for me make at the moment. I think I should stick with VB .NET till I actually NEED something else. And that’s actually what a lot of programmers have done…they know C++ and can use it very well, so why would they want to switch to a newer language C++ is capable of doing all they want to accomplish? So my decision to stick with VB .NET is not that absurd after all.

However, if it is indeed impossible to find a book or something similar on using VB .NET to program games, and I can’t find what I need, I will likely switch to C# even though I think it is stupid that I have to when VB is capable of doing the same thing.

So before I actually have to resort to that I’m going to look harder for what I want and hopefully I will find it. It would be nice if someone here could recommend something to me. CodedFire you say you’ve read tons of game programming books, do any of them use VB .NET?

Also, I never even heard of XNA till now…and that’s what my problem is. I’m trying to use things like the Graphics class to do graphics and such when I could be using something called XNA. That’s why I need information specific to game programming and preferably using VB .NET.

Thanks to all who have joined in on this topic.

[EDIT]
    That was a lot of typing...

[EDIT]
    Here's some examples of what finished games I've created so far:
    Undeworld1020's Connect Four
    Undeworld1020's Connect Three

I created those only by using controls and some basic programming logic using VB .NET. But, I want to make something more advanced then those I need something to help me to do so.
    Last edited by Underworld1020; Oct 11th, 2007 at 08:22 PM.

Nope every single one of them were all C++. As for saying C++ may become useless that could happen to every language but i do feel you are under estimating how far a reach c++ has.

I think its time for you to take stock as a programmer and decide which way you want to go. If it is down the game development route you really need to pick up a C++ book.

As i said though you should really read the article on gamedev.net regarding which language is right before pressing on.
    Languages: Visual Basic 05/08, C# 08
    IDE: Express Editions
    Framework: 2.0, 3.0, 3.5

Lesson 5: Don't take domestic advice from perpetual singles. - Mendhak

Quote Originally Posted by Underworld1020
    I will have a look at those game development sites because I'm sure they have a ton of information. However, it would be easier if there was a book that contained all the information in one place and in a logical order. To go through thousands of articles would take me years. But, still I'll have a look and try to find something that catches my interest.

It seems that people tend to look down on VB .NET, but isn't it really just using the class libraries just like all the other .NET languages? So it would be a matter of syntax really. I guess the reason would be, that VB is aimed at making things easier, where as C# and others are not...and that would tend to leave out some advanced features. I've heard that C# uses AndAlso and others by default unlike VB which uses And by default. And that would be an example of VB making things easier, but also taking away something more advanced.

So I can see why people say move to C#, but the thing is...I just want to get started in VB and then when I truly NEED those advanced features, I'll move to something else like C#. But for now I'm just looking to learn how to program games using VB, because then I'll be familiar with the some of the class and such that are involved with such things as graphics, and sound. After that when I NEED something more advanced I’m trying to create the next GTA game, I’ll move to C#.

As for C++, I can’t see why it would be beneficial for me to learn it. Right now it’s what most people are using, but that will surely change over the next few years. So if I started learning it now, by the time I finally got a grasp on it, nobody will be using it anymore. Plus I’ve tried to learn C++ about five years ago, but I couldn’t understand it. I was reading out of a great book, but it was too much for a new programmer. If I were to try to learn it now though, I’m sure I would be able to understand it much better. But, I just can’t see why it would be beneficial for me to do so.

So my point is even though C# or C++ might be better for game programming, it’s not really a good decision for me make at the moment. I think I should stick with VB .NET till I actually NEED something else. And that’s actually what a lot of programmers have done…they know C++ and can use it very well, so why would they want to switch to a newer language C++ is capable of doing all they want to accomplish? So my decision to stick with VB .NET is not that absurd after all.

However, if it is indeed impossible to find a book or something similar on using VB .NET to program games, and I can’t find what I need, I will likely switch to C# even though I think it is stupid that I have to when VB is capable of doing the same thing.

So before I actually have to resort to that I’m going to look harder for what I want and hopefully I will find it. It would be nice if someone here could recommend something to me. CodedFire you say you’ve read tons of game programming books, do any of them use VB .NET?

Also, I never even heard of XNA till now…and that’s what my problem is. I’m trying to use things like the Graphics class to do graphics and such when I could be using something called XNA. That’s why I need information specific to game programming and preferably using VB .NET.

Thanks to all who have joined in on this topic.

[EDIT]
    That was a lot of typing...

[EDIT]
    Here's some examples of what finished games I've created so far:
    Undeworld1020's Connect Four
    Undeworld1020's Connect Three

I created those only by using controls and some basic programming logic using VB .NET. But, I want to make something more advanced then those I need something to help me to do so.
    No serious game will ever be developed using VB.NET. The language is simply sluggish compared to the efficiency of C++ and other languages similar. You can do things with C++ you simply cannot do in VB.NET.

If you are looking to develop games, learn C++ or a similar language. Plain and simple.

VB.NET allows quick development of Windows applications. Although, people have done very interesting things with VB.NEt

CodedFire: I just read a couple of those articles on gamedev.net, but nothing that mind blowing...Did you have a specific one in mind?

Okay, since I keep hearing switch to a different language, I decided to do so. However, I won't even consider C++ because to me it's dated, and doesn't fully support OO like .NET languages do. So I picked C#, and that's no surprise really because I planned on doing so, just not so soon.

I got a book called Beginning C# Game Programming, and got through the first two chapters. So far it's been just an okay experience. The author isn't doing an amazing job, but it's bearable. As for the language, I think it's cryptic and I hate how they use symbols for everything, instead of keywords (Like they use && instead of And). But, I guess I can learn to live with it in time because it seems I have to. I probably would have the whole book read already if it weren't for college, I have to read and remember so much stuff already. But, hopefully I'll get something out of it in the end.

I've also seen an interesting book called Microsoft XNA Game Studio Creators Guide. But, I'm not sure if XNA is a programming language like C# and others or something like DirectX. So I didn't think I was ready for that yet. Anyways I'll probably finish the book soon and be looking for a new one, I'll report back when I've done so.

Thanks to all who have joined in on this thread.

However, I won't even consider C++ because to me it's dated, and doesn't fully support OO like .NET languages do.
    LOL.

C++ supports OO more thoroughly than C#.

The reason you think it doesn't, is because .NET languages are built upon OO being a key concept.. where, the main code execution itself is an object, which spawns other objects.. Theres an unbelievable amount of things you can do in C++.. which you simply can't do in any .NET language.. which in some areas includes managed C++..

If you're completely serious about game programming, C++ is the ONLY way to go. Sure, you can get a nice game up and running with C#.. but for serious game developers.. C++ is what you need.

chem

Okay, C++ may be a better language including being faster or whatever, but the fact is it's becoming dated because microsoft is making it that way by supporting .NET. If microsoft keeps pushing .NET, people and companies will use it more and more. So C++ may be better, I don't really know because I'm not an expert, but what I do knew is that I want to stay update with the lastest technology.

If I get to a point a few years down the line and I suddenly realize what you're saying is true and I made a bad call, I'll switch. For now though I don't need to have a super fast language because I'll am trying to do is make fairly simply 2d games.

I'm a person who believes gameplay is more important then mind blowing graphics. For instance (in my opinion), Age of the Empires II is much better than AOE III. The old Gauntlets are much better than the new ones. The old Mario games for Super NES are a thousand times better than the new ones will ever be. The old Crash Bandicot games for PS1 are much better then the new 3d ones. The old Metriod for Super NES is a thousand times better then the new crapy ones. (so you can see I'm not always for the new stuff)

Now there are some games were 3d did make it better such as, the Final Fantasy games, and the Zelda games (expect for the newest ones).

Anyways thats leading to a different topic, but the fact is I don't need the fastest language possible, .NET works for me and I think the game industry will be off of C++ in the next few years and in with the new stuff because that's the way things work, out with the old in with the new. My favorite 2d games are out, and the new crapy 3d ones are in because that's the way it works. But, that's besides the point...the point is .NET works for me.
    Last edited by Underworld1020; Oct 18th, 2007 at 02:47 PM.

Okay, C++ may be a better language including being faster or whatever, but the fact is it's becoming dated because microsoft is making it that way by supporting .NET. If microsoft keeps pushing .NET, people and companies will use it more and more. So C++ may be better, I don't really know because I'm not an expert, but what I do knew is that I want to stay update with the lastest technology.
    You are aware that Microsoft didn't actually create C++? C++ is a standardized language.. Microsoft just provide bastardized compilers (less so than Borland).

Microsoft are supporting .NET because its their creation.. its their IDL that .NET runs off.. the entire .NET technology is Microsofts.. but guess what .NET was developed with?

You will be surprised by how many people will disagree with you that C++ is on the way out. Theres still a need for C++.. and there will be for years to come. Just like people are still writing programs in COBOL and Fortran.. a decade or so after people thought it they would well and truly be out.

C++, believe it or not.. is what games are written in. You will not see a company work off an framework language like the .NET languages.. C++ just doesn't have the overhead that they do.

All of this is pointless ramble though.. if you're just wanting to create little 2D games.. hell, use VB6 and OpenGL..

..use VB5 and PictureBoxes.. it doesn't really matter

chem

I wasn't not aware of C++ not being Microsoft's creation. I guess .NET would have less affect on C++ then, but I still choose .NET though. I just like the way it is, the whole structure of it. Hopefully others will move to .NET too, that would be nice in my case. For now it doesn't really matter though, at least for me because I won't be in the professional game industry for a few years at least, so I have time. Thanks for the information.

Back to books though...The book I was reading sucks (Beginning C# Game Programming), it didn't do a good job explaining C#, and then jumps into a game framework without giving the reader a clear understanding of it. I got to chapter 6 and quit.

Now I'm reading Learning C# 2005, which is a much better book. It gives clear understanding of the language, and I would recommend it to others. I'm currently on chapter 15.

Beginning C# Game Programming is exactly what it sounds like.. C# Game Programming.

Game Programming books don't teach you the language.. they assume you know it already. They might explain little pieces here and there.. but thats it.

Why is that? Noone should jump into Game Programming.. without a clear understanding of the language they are using.. and the way it works on the inside. Alot of memory management and resource allocation and deallocation is used.. and if you don't understand what everything does.. you won't know how to combat it. This will lead to a game with extreme memory leaks (which is the most common problem with games), and general bugs.

chem

Well the problem I had with that game programming book, was that it was intended for people who've never programmed before. The author tried to teach C# in five chapters, and then in a few more chapters tried to teach how to use Directx with C#.

In my opinion that was a bad idea, they should have either:
    -Said this book is for experienced programmers in C# who want to learn how to do game programming with C#.
    -Make the book only on C#.
    -Make the book only on Directx

Learning C# in five chapters was a really bad idea and I didn't learn nearly enough to even start game programming with C#. The book just was not designed well at all.

[EDIT]
    Also from what I've read, C# and all other .NET languages eliminate memory leaks...I think (but not positive) that its because of the Garbage Collector that cleans up after you, instead of the programmer doing it.
    Last edited by Underworld1020; Oct 23rd, 2007 at 02:23 PM.

Theres a few levels of a garbage collector.

Theres the basic garbage collection stuff thats done automatically. Then theres the garbage collection class, which you call explicitly to do some cleanups for you.. then theres actually cleaning up the memory yourself. Theres an MSDN article (or.. maybe it came through in the mailing list) where a guy who helped develop .NET talks about the improvements that can be made to the .NET garbage collection modules, and the things that aren't practical to implement.

chem

I just like the way it is, the whole structure of it. Hopefully others will move to .NET too, that would be nice in my case.
    This is what I don't think your quite understanding. .NET is not suited for making games, that's not going to change. I'm talking about performance games here, you can make Solitare with whatever you like.

People aren't going to move, because there's not really anything to move to.

Back to your original question, this is what I found on Amazon - however, the reviews are less than stellar ...
    http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-NET-...400347-3852810
    "It's cold gin time again ..."

Check out my website here.

I understand that C++ is better speed wise, but that doesn't mean all games need to be coded in it. I'm sure C# can handle anything I'm capable of doing. When I'm finally ready to become a professional programmer in the game industry, I'll learn whatever they tell me to learn. Which from what you guys are saying is C++ right now, but I'm saying that it could be something different by the time I get there. Learning .NET now should enable me to easily learn other languages and will teach me the concepts I need to know.

As for the books...I read that review on amazon a while ago, and it doesn't seem to be that great. But now that I'm learning C# too, maybe I will be able to understand it. Plus from one of the reviews it says they have updated code on the book's website, so maybe it will be fine. Hopefully they'll come out with a new edition of the book with the example code updates, that would be nice. Has anyone read that book? (Beginning .NET Game Programming in VB .NET)

Another question though...I was reading up on XNA, it seems that it is what I should be using if I'm sticking with .NET (which I am for now). This article was interesting:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/xna.ars/1

It seems like C# with XNA is able to create new 3d games just like anything else, I mean its running on a 360 and just look at the screen shot, looks fine to me. I'm going to try to get my hands on it...has anyone used this? Should I be using this considering I'm using .NET? Or should I be using DirectX? I don't know either at this point, so which should I read up on?

XNA is just a bunch of DirectX wrappers..

I'll say this.. if you're minus 60 years old, then by the time you have a job in the industry, its possible people will be writing games in .NET.. that is, if Microsofts Global take-over plan ever comes to fruition.

Think about it. Microsoft develop .NET. Microsoft develop the Xbox 360. Of course they want their product to succeed on their machine. Xbox 360 games are known for framerate issues.. and there lies the problem. Sony will NEVER support .NET on their machines.. EVER. C++ has been used for years on all those other platforms.. and will continue to be.

Also.. if you use XNA.. you must distribute source code, and it runs like a dog unless its licensed (DAMMIT, I forgot where abouts on MSDN I saw that).

chem

I think I get it. XNA is just making Directx easier to use, but it's really just using Directx behind the scenes. So then I should learn Directx because XNA is not really that important. Plus when using XNA the source code must be distrubted with the code and needs to be licensed if you want it to run the way it should.

Also C++ is the language used on most other console systems, however the 360 supports .NET because it's also made by Microsoft, but it doesn't work that great because .NET is slow when trying to create complex games.

So I should learn Directx and C++...that's what you're trying to say right? I understand, I'll use Directx instead of XNA. However I still want to use .NET (C#) because it suits my needs and will help me learn a complex language. And when I'm close to the game industry I'll learn whatever I need too (like C++). I think I got it now...

I'll still haven't finished my C# book yet...I have to much stuff to do lately. Plus I'm still unclear on some of the advanced topics of C# such as Virtual Functions and Delegates, so I'm going to keep reading a few chapters until I get it. Then maybe another C# book, and finally some Directx books to top it off.

I'll post here about any books that I read, and I'll say what I thought about them, even though they probably won't be any vb books. Maybe there should be a thread somewhere on the fourms for books reviews or recommendations for books. I think that could be useful.
    Last edited by Underworld1020; Oct 29th, 2007 at 02:16 PM.

I feel an urge to contribute

I'm a VB.NET / C# developer. I use VB.NET cause its code is prettier and my brain speaks to me in VB :] Both use same libraries and there is no advantage of using C# except maybe for the "unsafe" stuff. But then VB makes event handling easy. Endless arguements of VB.NET vs C# and tbh it gets boring. I can read C# like i read VB which I think is key.

I've written graphics applications in VB6, they ran very fast because I paid attention to what functions ran slow and avoided them. I did the classic things that I did 10 years ago in my asm days - avoid floating-points, just use integers, Shift bits about and dont divide, use bitwise operators and expressions etc. Lots of little things that can get frame a rate from 20 to 40. I'm sure if you were developing a top end FPS in C++ you would have to pay attention to the same rules.

As a .net developer, I still do those things. There are functions the framework provides that are just complete rubbish and can be replaced with alternatives (still in the framework) to run 10x as fast

I'm currently developing an Air-Traffic-Control simulator for the Navy. It has to have real 3D dynamics for the airplanes and ships/subs - has air-resistance, airspeeds, landspeeds, land heights etc. there are up to 2000 objects a world at one time, the server can run multiple games and i think up to 12 clients can join a game. It also has to feature real-time voice-comms over 16 channels which will be completely custom made by meh... with DirectX assistance There is a massive amount of info to take into account and target fps per running game is min of 60.
    Both the server and the client in that is being developed in VB.NET. Given more time the graphics would be in DirectX but GDI/GDI+ will suffice if done properly. I admit some of .NET can be slow; Some of the bitmap routines like DrawImage are just complete rubbish, if you get a Pointer to the bitmaps you can Blit the bytes soooooooo much faster.
    Anyway the game is not Half-Life or RFOM but its still a game, really interesting to code, I get to do 50% of the work unlike in a big game... and its a very well paid job - Not everyone wants to play or buy FPS games so if trying to pick a language for a career then just keep that in mind. Lots of different coding jobs out there.
    -If you're just starting to use .NET i would recommend to learn C#
    -You'll probably also need a degree... tho speaking as an employer its not top of my list but I'm sure it will be in bigger companies. To get an idea we do turn over £1bn a year but only about £1m in software.
    Hope my ramble is useful

I have to comment on this as well;

I've heard that C# uses AndAlso and others by default unlike VB which uses And by default
    MS ommitted the Shortcircuiting in "AND" and developed "ANDALSO" because when they announced "AND" would shortcircuit like it should and does in its C# counterpart and every other language there was endless whining by complete idiots who had poor legacy code that relied on all factors of the boolean expression to run. Why you would use anything other than AndAlso or OrElse in VB I dont know. Nuff said

Nice to hear that someone actually does use .NET in the real world. Sounds like quite a project you've got there. Sounds fun too, but of course I am not even close to being able to work on something like that. But I'll get there.

I agree, I do think VB .NET is much prettier than any language I've come across so far. It was really my main attraction, and of course that it formats things for me. I have complete OCD so that is a big issue for me when coding. I also hate abbreviations and symbols, and VB .NET doesn't have to many of them, most of the keywords consist of actually words and can be read just like plain English. C# messes that up though, but it still has a nice structure to it.

And your right about just avoiding the slower parts of the framework, there's plenty of alternatives that you could use. In other languages I also had to do this, there were certain commands that were extremely slow and I had to find a work around for them (or just complain to the author(s)). For instance a sprite collision command was unbearably slow, so I ended up using 3d plains instead. I have no idea why it was slow, but it was.

As for the future, I'm working towards the gaming industry because the business end is so boring...its database this, database that, customer this, and invoice that. Boring. I'm working on my 2 year degree now (majoring in Computer Information Systems...almost done). I'm considering going to one of those new gaming colleges that are out there. But, I'm not sure how well established they actually are.

I agree the And situation in VB is really stupid. I've never had anything depend on VB's logic of And. If anything it depends on AndAlso. That was actually a big issue in some other languages I've worked with...they only had VB's And logic. So basically I had to keep nesting If statements to get the logic I needed. But I guess Microsoft was just trying to keep people happy.

[EDIT]
    What do you guess think about my idea for a thread on books. Like having are own little thread where we could give book reviews on books we've read or ask if anybody has read a book on a certain topic. I'm sure people hear have read tons of books in their computer life. Anyways just an idea.
    Last edited by Underworld1020; Nov 7th, 2007 at 03:16 PM.

Well, after reading all of your post I can tell you that having done some studies and talking to people about how things work on the programmin side of games that there is no reason for people to swtich to .NET anytime soon. Right now C++ is faster and you have more people that know how to program games for it. Be like devoloping a hybrid car, they may be the "Car of the future" but most people dont want them because they arent as concrete as what they are used to or they dont look a certain way. If you plan on getting a job in the industry then i would say you are gunna have to learn C++ but if you just want to make your own games then C# or Vb would eb a fine choice.
    Here are some links that may help out.

www.gamecareer.com
    www.igda.org
    www.gamedev.net
    www.gamasutra.com