Thread: [RESOLVED] Lightweight .NET-supported database

Hyperactive Member BramVandenbon's Avatar

Resolved [RESOLVED] Lightweight .NET-supported database

I have a question which is kind of annoying, but I am going to ask it anyway .

I'm looking for a database sysem to use in my software which does not have to be pre-installed on the enduser his computer.

What i'm basicly looking for is a lightweight thing, (just a couple of MBytes), which is relational and supports the simple SQL queries.

I can't think of anything really suitable: SQLServer, MySQL, Oracle, Access, XML, ...

Is there a clear solution? I can imagine this sounds like the Coke-Zero commercials: "What about great life without downsides?" But fact is that there are a lot of existing applications that use an SQL supporting database which don't require a preinstalled database system.

... and hopefully it's free

Thank you in advance, I'm really curious.

Please rate my messages. Thank you!

Re: Lightweight .NET-supported database

There has to be some database placed on the users machine. That being said it can be done without much overhead. Use of an MS Access database does not require Acces being installed on the system (to develop against it it should be installed). Also SQL CE is a light weight SQL Server version that has only a few dlls that are required to be installed onto the users system.
    Sometimes the Programmer
    Sometimes the DBA

Mazz1

Yes, I second Gary's suggestions as he beat me to it

To use Access in your app the end user doesnt even need Access installed and SQL CE I learned is a great lightweight db but limited on its features.

Either way, for the price, the two are probably your top choices.

There is also a light version of Oracle but I dont know much about it.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! mendhak's Avatar

Have a central server, somewhere on the Internet, where your database sits. One for all customers. Create web services to interface with it. Get your client applications to call those web services.

While there are quite a few limitations to SQL CE... if you can work around them, that's the way to go. 7DLL's in the same folder as your app.... it just doesn't get much easier than that. But it does take some planning (as I'm finding out).

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member BramVandenbon's Avatar

Resolved Re: Lightweight .NET-supported database

Thanks, did take me some time to install it, I guessed it would be added to my CLR straightaway, but nideed I had to add those dll-files to my directory and put the reference manually as you guys pointed out .

Seems to work fine now. Thanks, great stuff !

Please rate my messages. Thank you!