Thread: To steal or not to steal, a VB question :)

This is actually more a ethics question. If I install a legally bought program and it happened to add some Active-X controls that I can use in VB, would it be unethical or illegal to do so? I checked the license agreement and it doesn't state anything about Active-X controls in there.

------------------
    Hennie Pieterse
    Senior Programmer
    Datcor International
    hennie@nix.co.za
    Telephone: +27 15 7816335
    Today is yesterday's tomorrow
    [This message has been edited by FirstKnight (edited 01-20-2000).]

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Joacim Andersson's Avatar

If the license agreement doesn't state that you CAN use and distribute the ActiveX control freely it's illegal to do so.

To use the control for your own purpose in an application that isn't going to be distributed (it stays on your machine, the same machine that have the application that the control came with) must be considered OK, because you own the right to use the control if you bought the program in the first place.

------------------
    Joacim Andersson
    joacim@programmer.net
    joacim@yellowblazer.com
    www.YellowBlazer.com

This'll probably open a whole big can of worms, but IMHO it's OK to use pretty much any software (not all, mind ou, depends on the case) as long as you're not going to use it for your own financial gain. For instance, who would decide they wanted to learn to use AutoCAD, then go out and buy it for 4.5 grand ()?

In this case, I'd say don't worry about it. If you're not selling I don't think it matters.

Of course there are a lot of people who would disagree with me, but then you seem to have the permission anyway

Hyperactive Member

I agree with Joacim, read the licence agreement carefully.
    And for your own use, it's never a problem. When you want to ship your program to other ppl (not for money) they must have installed the program (legal version), it's not allowed to ship the controls (at least, in 99% of the cases I've seen it isn't).
    Sure, not a big chance someone will notice if you do... but, if they do, you'll regret you did...

I belive it's like Crazy D sais. If you are going to let others use your program they must first install a legal copy of the program that holds the controls.

I *agree* as well but... why not go back to the authors of the software and pose them the question - they'll get back to the authors of the OCX/etc and come back with a definitive answer whereas our reading of a license agreement is always open to interpretation.

JP

I'd say that un authorized reuse (for financial gain) is a definate no-no!

You would look a right idiot if your app failed due to a bug in an OCX that you shouldn't have used in the first place!

Have you tried using them yet anyway?

When you make an OCX you can specify
    "Require License Key" in the project which prevents others from using them in a developmnent environment.

------------------
    Mark Sreeves
    Analyst Programmer

Mark.Sreeves@Softlab.co.uk
    A BMW Group Company

I think that this was already said but I would like to put my vote forward.
    I think it is legal for your program to use the Active X controls. I think it is legal for you to sell the program you write. I think it is illegal for you to distribute the .ocx. I think it is legal for your system requirements to list that the other program be installed.
    I have a program that requires microsoft word to be on the machine. word is more then an active x control it is a huge app. It is legal for me to sell my program. I just include microsoft word in the system requirements(there is a little R in a circle by each instance of microsofts name)
    this is all just my opinion

------------------
    I am so skeptacle, I can hardly believe it!

Maybe so, but are you shipping a copy of Word with your app?

HarryW
    No. that was my point. There is no license issue because I am requiring the user to go buy the active x.
    Haven't you ever bought software that had a system minimum requirements section?
    This company has several programs that require different programs to be installed on the computer. Word, Excel, Autocad, Light-tech, and Luxicon are required by one third party program or another.
    My point is that you get around the license issue by forcing the user to go buy a licensed copy.
    Some people might not buy your program because then need to go buy another just to run yours but, that wasn't the question. It was if you can use an active x in your program. The license agreement doesn't limit the use of the ocx's to only their app. You own a license to use the software. Because the agreement doesn't limit how you use the software you can choose to only use pieces.

------------------
    I am so skeptacle, I can hardly believe it!

Addicted Member

Why reinvent the wheel?

what im trying to say.. you can take things that are made before becouse its only stupid to reinvent thing just to make them your own.

-Lumin

Former Admin/Moderator MartinLiss's Avatar

With all due respect lumin, are you saying that it's alright for me to steal the painting you've spent months on and put it in my house, just because I can't paint as well as you?

------------------
    Marty
    Can you buy an entire chess set in a pawn shop?