Thread: How to Use Sprites

How to Use Sprites

Okay, I'm making a game and I want to use sprites to animate my characters. I have NO IDEA how to do this, so any help would be great. I basically need to know how to load parts of the picture as my character. Here's an example of a sprite I would like to use:
    http://www.spriters-resource.com/squ...sy/6/locke.png

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: How to Use Sprites

Moved

You would need to find out the size of a frame for the sheet (how large a single character would be, it should be the same for each character frame). Then you would need to set an offset according to the frame you want. (CharU = frameX * FrameWidth; CharV = FrameY * FrameHeight) this would get you the top left pixel in the frame if you calculated the width and height of the frames properly.
    Final Fantasy Tactics Online
    Blank Engine (3D, Opensource, VB Engine)(Under construction but does have a download)

Once you have heeded BinaryCode's advice you need to decide how you are going to render to the screen. I recommend that you learn Bitblt as you can specifiy what coordinates of the picture you want to 'blt'.

Look in the FAQ for links to good tutorials.
    If what I said was helpful, give me rep!

My Complete Games: -- 2D Zone (Space Shooter game) || _2D Zone 2_ || Ninja Blob (2D platformer) || Dren (Co-op up to 4 player base defence game)

My Projects: -- The Dread Engine (2D VB game Engine) || A* Path Finding

An excellent site for learning DirectX7, 8 & 9 (for VB6, C# & VB.net) would be: directx4vb.vbgamer.com --- For my projects and games see: pieper.freehostia.com

Quote Originally Posted by BinaryCode
    You would need to find out the size of a frame for the sheet (how large a single character would be, it should be the same for each character frame). Then you would need to set an offset according to the frame you want. (CharU = frameX * FrameWidth; CharV = FrameY * FrameHeight) this would get you the top left pixel in the frame if you calculated the width and height of the frames properly.
    Sorry, I'm lost. Could you explain in more detail what each of these values/variables are?