Thread: Marquee Progressbar

Marquee Progressbar

Makes a progress bar marquee. Only works with XP styles turned on

Code:
    Private Const WM_USER = &H400
    Private Const PBM_SETMARQUEE = WM_USER + 10
    Private Const GWL_STYLE = (-16)
    Private Declare Function GetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowLongA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function SetWindowLong Lib "user32" Alias "SetWindowLongA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal nIndex As Long, ByVal dwNewLong As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Function SendMessage Lib "user32" Alias "SendMessageA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal wMsg As Long, ByVal wParam As Long, ByVal lParam As Any) As Long
    Dim PrevStyle As Long
    Private Function SetUpMarquee(ObjProgressBar As ProgressBar, Optional TurnOn As Boolean, Optional Speed As Integer = 50)
    Select Case TurnOn
        Case True
            'Set the style to Marquee
            SetWindowLong ObjProgressBar.hwnd, GWL_STYLE, PrevStyle Or PBM_SETMARQUEE
            'Make it automatically scroll
            SetUpMarquee = SendMessage(ObjProgressBar.hwnd, PBM_SETMARQUEE, CLng(TurnOn), CLng(Speed))
        Case False
            'Set the Style Back
            SetWindowLong ObjProgressBar.hwnd, GWL_STYLE, PrevStyle
    End Select
    End Function

Private Sub Form_Load()
        'Get the current Style
        PrevStyle = GetWindowLong(ProgressBar1.hwnd, GWL_STYLE)

'Turn it on or off and speed
        SetUpMarquee ProgressBar1, True, 50
        ProgressBar1.Value = 50         'Just to show that when its on, setting the value will not work
    End Sub

References:
    • The need to set the style to Marquee from Link
    • Making it Automatic, research on MSDN and experimenting

Re: Marquee Progressbar

Hello, please help. i tried to use your code, and my progressbar is no longer displaying
    Programming is all about good logic. Spend more time here

(Generate pronounceable password) (Generate random number c#) (Filter array with another array)

What verson of the common conrols are you using? Try v5 not v6.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

yes am using version 5 sp2. and notic this. whe i turn off the maquree thing and recompile, my progressbar appears

(Generate pronounceable password) (Generate random number c#) (Filter array with another array)

Are you using a manifest file and is the application compiled? Appears to be a requirement. I quickly tested the code in that scenario & it worked flawlessly in XP. Didn't test in Vista & also didn't test what would happen if value was the progressbar.Min value, might want to do that & ensure it is > .Min

Edited: Another idea. Where is your common control initialization happening? May want to make it happen in Sub Main, not form_load.
    Describe your progressbar properties and what O/S you are using. Maybe we can replicate the problem?

Edited Again: After looking closer at the code above. This line is in error I believe
    Code:
    SetWindowLong ObjProgressBar.hwnd, GWL_STYLE, PrevStyle Or PBM_SETMARQUEE
    Using PBM_SETMARQUEE includes the PBS_MARQUEE bit, but also includes a ton more that probably should not be included. The correct call should be as follows.
    Code:
    Const PBS_MARQUEE As Long = &H8
    SetWindowLong ObjProgressBar.hwnd, GWL_STYLE, PrevStyle Or PBS_MARQUEE
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Feb 26th, 2011 at 08:28 PM.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

FYI: To have a marquee progressbar without including v5 of the common controls (or any version really), you can use the attached class. Note that common controls v6 must be installed on the user's system, but does not have to be referenced in your project.
    As noted above, themed controls needed to have a marquee style

- Copy attached txt file contents to a new class within your project
    - Declare cPBar As cProgressbar in your declarations section
    - Set cPBar = New cProgressbar before using & call its CreateProgressBar function at some point

Provided as-is. Should be usable & read comments regarding calls that are for Vista+ only.

Advantages:
    - Min/Max values can be Long vs. restricted to Integer
    - Uses v6 progress bar vs. v5 & no common controls need to be referenced in the project
    - Built-in added features like back/fore color (unthemed), marquee pausing (Vista+), marquee speed adjustments & a few more
    Disadvantages:
    - No WYSIWYG during design time. May want to use a non-visible shape control on the form to represent the space to be used by the progress bar during runtime
    - No TabStop, Container & other typical VB properties; though most can be added to the class, not all
    - No tooltip without adding more API calls

Edited: When creating the progress bar, the position and dimensions passed must be in pixels, not twips or anything else.
    I also did not dummy-proof the class. Don't attempt to pass invalid values & never pass ContainerHwnd as zero when creating the progressbar. Always use Me.hWnd, Picture1.hWnd, Frame1.hWnd, etc.

If the OP of this thread wishes this project removed, I'll do so. Didn't want to compete; just wanted to throw another option out there. If one is already referencing/using v5 of the common controls library; don't use this method, use the method in post #1 & look also at my post #5.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Feb 28th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    Edited: Another idea. Where is your common control initialization happening? May want to make it happen in Sub Main, not form_load.
    sub main()
    Describe your progressbar properties
    common controls v5sp2
    what O/S you are using. Maybe we can replicate the problem?
    WinXpsp3

I noticed i made and error, i did not include this line before, so i included it.
    Code:
    PrevStyle = GetWindowLong(pbrMain.hwnd, GWL_STYLE)
    The ProgressBar is now showing, but not scrolling!!
    if i minimize the form and open it quickly, the green bars appears to move one step each time

What now!

i subclassed my toolbar to make the background gradient, could this be interfering with it
    Last edited by coolcurrent4u; Feb 27th, 2011 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcurrent4u View Post
    ..i subclassed my toolbar to make the background gradient, could this be interfering with it
    Maybe. When controls are themed; the O/S kinda takes responsibility for drawing them. When you interfere, unexpected results. Simply don't subclass and see if it works. If so, your subclassing is the reason. Also look at my edited reply in post #5 and see if that could be contributing.

Note: The marquee style is simple really. It draws a fixed bitmap at different X coordinates within the progress bar DC, using a timer. However, to replicate that manually, a timer still required, but you'd have to subclass and draw that fixed portion manually via the WM_Paint event. Subclassing needed because no setting on the progress bar allows you to say I want a value of n offset by x pixels. The progress always begins drawing at the left or bottom, depending on horizontal/vertical orientation.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Feb 27th, 2011 at 02:08 PM.

Hello, i removed the subclassing, and it still did not work.
    How do i trouble shoot this one now, but doing the marquee thing on a different new project seems to work fine. Could a timer be interfering with it, i have a timer control on my form too

A timer won't be interfering. I would look carefully at your code. You admitted you left something out earlier; maybe you have another mistake too?

PowerPoster

Here is another example that you can test. It also demonstrates some other standard "states" supported by the Common Controls 6.0 ProgressBar.

Open the project, compile, and run the compiled program to test it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Attached Files Attached Files