Thread: directX 7 game programing-VB6

Hyperactive Member

directX 7 game programing-VB6

i am wanting to build a MMORPG useing DX7. it will be 2d and have a chat system. i have looked at directx4v.com and several other sites but the tutorials were to complicated for what i was doing is there anyone with who will help me? it would be nice if i could IM with you or something like that. anything that will allow me to ask you questions at runtime. i have skype/windows messager/ and i will download anything that is free. SO IF YOU KNOW A LOT ABOUT DX7 THEN COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME?
    Last edited by bagstoper; Apr 5th, 2007 at 09:33 AM.

Re: directX 7 game programing

Check out this link.

http://www.vbgore.com/Main_Page

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Moved to Games and Graphics

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by zynder
    Check out this link.

http://www.vbgore.com/Main_Page

i looked at the site and downloaded their program but i dont understand any of it. i also downloaded 3 other programs it said i needed. but i just dont understand it at all.

Frenzied Member

i'm actually working on a game currently. i currently have in-game chat working (me and my friend were talking on my game). what i could really use is someone knowledgeable of graphics. I need some good backgrounds and characters if I really want to get this running. Can u draw?

IM me or MSN message me: Screenname and msn email address is in my vbforums profile

Hyperactive Member

i can draw in MS paint but i cant draw with a pencil or pen.

Re: directX 7 game programing-VB6

A quick piece of advice, DX7 is obsolete. It is not supported by modern graphics cards so you do not get the "speed" benefits you want. VBgore was made using DX8!
    If what I said was helpful, give me rep!

My Complete Games: -- 2D Zone (Space Shooter game) || _2D Zone 2_ || Ninja Blob (2D platformer) || Dren (Co-op up to 4 player base defence game)

My Projects: -- The Dread Engine (2D VB game Engine) || A* Path Finding

An excellent site for learning DirectX7, 8 & 9 (for VB6, C# & VB.net) would be: directx4vb.vbgamer.com --- For my projects and games see: pieper.freehostia.com

Hyperactive Member

the reason i wanted to use DX7 is that i found a tutorial on how to make chat client useing it. i found it at http://directx4vb.vbgamer.com/ but the tutorial before that was faulty and gave me several errors. i think i can make the game using DX8 but i have never seen anything about making a chat client useing DX8. if you have seen any tutorial on this then please show it to me because i have looked and looked.

There are DirectPlay (the networking bit of DirectX8) tutorials in the DirectX8 section on the site

My Complete Games: -- 2D Zone (Space Shooter game) || _2D Zone 2_ || Ninja Blob (2D platformer) || Dren (Co-op up to 4 player base defence game)

An excellent site for learning DirectX7, 8 & 9 (for VB6, C# & VB.net) would be: directx4vb.vbgamer.com --- For my projects and games see: pieper.freehostia.com

Hyperactive Member

i find that entire site to be very vague and hard to understand. the creator over complicates thing.

Well I think that directx4vb is an awesome site, but if you do not understand everything, you might need to wait a little bit/learn more in school. Then sit down and take in everything he says so that you understand, and if you do not understand the first time read it again. It worked for me... Also another option would be using winsock, and a good wrapper is called sox, look it up at pscode and you'll find it.

Hyperactive Member

i am not in a programing school. i am only 13

Quote Originally Posted by bagstoper
    i am not in a programing school. i am only 13
    It just takes time.

At 13, I was reading ASM tutorials and really didn't understand a thing. I stuck with it, and I now get pretty much all of it (for one instruction set anyway, although, writing it myself is still a bit hazy..).

It would be completely stupid to assume, that reading a website from start to finish, once, on a subject as complex as DirectX, will have you all knowing.

Read it once.
    Read it again.
    Repeat as needed.

chem

Visual Studio 6, Visual Studio.NET 2005, MASM

I never assumed you were in a programming school, I was saying that you might just need to wait a little and learn some more math, history, whatever you would like in your school, and mature your brain a bit. Then just sit down and read the site and try to understand as much as you can when you read, and if you don't understand read it again. Also you might want to start with something smaller than a fullblown mmorpg, a lot of kids have the idea that making an mmorpg would be awesome and you would barely need to work at it, but that's obviously false. I'd start with making a simple pacman game first and then just work your way up.

Hyperactive Member

good advice both of you, but i am trying to learn as much as i can about VB so i can get a head up on the on game and get a good job and so on. that is why i want ot program games not for the fun but for the money(greedy me) i have already made some simple game and i have been sucsesful at selling them to friend and school mates. on directx4vb i have followed the tutorials very strictly and i have repeated them several times and they would always give me the same error. i have posted some of those errors and i got no response. some were even deleated. some times i have found directx4vb to be helpful so it is not like i am puting them on a kill list or something.

Frenzied Member

1) You sell programs to your FRIENDS?

2) What is the error? Maybe I can help. I'm decent with dx.. kinda..

At 13 I was learning how to use a computer for the first time.

What is the DX error code? (It should say automation error and then the code) and where does it occur?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fromethius

2) What is the error? Maybe I can help. I'm decent with dx.. kinda..
    1) yes i sell programs to friends. they think that it is cool that i can do this.

2)yesterday my hard drive quit on me and it is getting repaired so i wont be able to look at the code until it is repaired.

Frenzied Member

heh i meant.. why would make them pay for it? ahh nevermind it's not important

How did you sort out the software licensing laws? E.g. What if one of your friends copies your software and distributes it freely.

PS: I think this thread is going a bit AWOL. Learn DirectX10 when you are older

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by singularis
    How did you sort out the software licensing laws? E.g. What if one of your friends copies your software and distributes it freely.

PS: I think this thread is going a bit AWOL. Learn DirectX10 when you are older
    i dont care as long as i get some money and i put my name on everything i make. somewhere in the program.

Just a note on directx4vb: A lot of the source code I have found there isn't always working, and or optimized, so you have to play around with it to get it to work or run faster. But in general I would read what he has to say instead of worrying about his source code, because he explains what you are going to do and how to do it, so if you follow that you could make the feature your self (or fix his source code).

Personally, I would suggest a switch to C++ and OpenGL. Trust me, it will benefit you in the future.

Nehe's OpenGL tutorials are an awesome resource, and at the end there are optimized/complete projects for the tutorial. There are also like 20 different projects for different IDE's.

http://nehe.gamedev.net

chem

Hyperactive Member

i have c++ 3rd edition i dont think i can aford to buy the newest c++ unless it is $150 or less

Quote Originally Posted by bagstoper
    i have c++ 3rd edition i dont think i can aford to buy the newest c++ unless it is $150 or less
    C++ wasn't invented by Microsoft. Theres lots of free C++ compilers and IDE's out there.

One of my favourites is CodeBlocks, which can be found here: http://www.codeblocks.org/

chem

Alternatively, you could go to microsoft's website and download Visual C++ Express

or Dev C++ is also free and I'm not quite sure of the website so you'd have to google it. It's a subdomain bloodshed.something..... anyway, it's also a pretty good ide.

Quote Originally Posted by BinaryCode
    or Dev C++ is also free and I'm not quite sure of the website so you'd have to google it. It's a subdomain bloodshed.something..... anyway, it's also a pretty good ide.
    No, no, and no.

DevCPP is terrible. CodeBlocks is a quality IDE.

chem