bool func(int* i)
    {
    return (*i == 5);
    }

bool func(const int& i)
    {
    return (i == 5);
    }
    Last edited by dis1411; Dec 6th, 2006 at 09:20 PM.

Re: which is faster

Profile and check.
    #Appreciate others by rating good posts !!

#The Software Peter Principle is in operation when unwise developers "improve" and "generalize" the software until they themselves can no longer understand it, then the project slowly dies.

#People who are still ignorant of their ignorance are dangerous.

Fanatic Member

I would bet the latter.
    The human brain cannot hold all of the knowledge that exists in this world, but it can hold pointers to that knowledge.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

A good compiler should optimise both to the same.

i would agree with penagate... however i am providing a simplified situation.. so ignore compiler omptimizations

Quote Originally Posted by dis1411
    i would agree with penagate... however i am providing a simplified situation.. so ignore compiler omptimizations
    References, behind the scene, are pointers, just with the dereferencing done for you -- there's no way around it. I would wager that regardless of optimization, the machine code is the same.
    Every passing hour brings the Solar System forty-three thousand miles closer to Globular Cluster M13 in Hercules -- and still there are some misfits who insist that there is no such thing as progress.

Non-optimizing compilers will generate the same code. But by non-optimizing, I mean the very worst load-for-every-read style compilers.
    For good compilers that however have no information about the content of these two functions, calling the second one could be faster, because the argument is a reference to const. If the compiler keeps the passed value in a callee-saved register in the calling function, it doesn't have to generate code to read it back in from memory, because it can't have changed.
    If the compiler has access to the body of the functions, it should again generate the same code, because it's trivial to prove that the value isn't actually modified. It should also inline the functions if that is enabled.
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

"Writing specifications is like writing a novel. Writing code is like writing poetry."
    - Anonymous, published by Raymond Chen

Don't PM me with your problems, I scan most of the forums daily. If you do PM me, I will not answer your question.