Thread: [2005] Find the logged on user of a remote Win2k/XP machine (Console Application)

Fanatic Member

[2005] Find the logged on user of a remote Win2k/XP machine (Console Application)

It's similar to PsLoggedOn from SysInternals but it also more info.

I'm attaching the sources in a zipfile because they're now too long to post in a code block.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Ginolard; May 30th, 2008 at 05:10 AM. Reason: New release
    ManagePC - the all-in-one PC management and inventory tool

Re: [2005] Find the logged on user of a remote Win2k/XP machine (Console Application)

Trying to get this to work using Visual Basic 2008. I think it has something to do with the ldapBind

'Dim LdapBind As String
    'LdapBind = ("LDAP://" & "DC=" & UserDomain & "," & strRootDomain)

If I comment those lines out and then create the directory entry like

Dim deEntry3 As New DirectoryEntry("LDAP://domain.local", "user", "password")

It works, does the previous LdapBind above assume a non secured ldap server??

-Michael

Re: [2005] Find the logged on user of a remote Win2k/XP machine (Console Application)

@Ginolard: Does this work with WinXP SP2 (what I mean is will it pass thru windows firewall)?
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

Quote Originally Posted by stanav
    @Ginolard: Does this work with WinXP SP2 (what I mean is will it pass thru windows firewall)?
    Yes, it does. Actually I have been experimenting with this method.

http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/5478

using the Win32_ComputerSystem

cheers,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mellerbeck
    Yes, it does. Actually I have been experimenting with this method.

http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/5478

using the Win32_ComputerSystem

cheers,

Michael
    Nope... I tried the code and it didn't work on machines running WinXP SP2 with firewall turned on. An exception was thrown at this line
    Code:
    queryCollection = query.Get()
    The error message is "The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA)".

The reason I asked was that I had coded something similar to this a while ago and couldn't get it to work with WinXP SP2. I received the same exception everytime my program tried to pull information from a WinXP SP2 machine. I ended up trashing the project because I don't know how to by pass the firewall.
    Let us have faith that right makes might, and in that faith, let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.
    - Abraham Lincoln -

The reason I asked was that I had coded something similar to this a while ago and couldn't get it to work with WinXP SP2. I received the same exception everytime my program tried to pull information from a WinXP SP2 machine. I ended up trashing the project because I don't know how to by pass the firewall.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I just read up to the WinXP SP2 part so I guess the question is what do you expect? Of course the firewall is going to block it, thats the whole point of a firewall You could open the ports allowing WMI access....

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-531724.php

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875605

Fanatic Member

Yeah that method is all well and good but it won't retrieve a user who is logged on via Terminal Services or one who is logged on locally.

Fanatic Member

I've just posted the new version as a zipfile attachment in the original post. Works better with Win2K plus adds command line options.