Thread: Distributing an Executeable File

Addicted Member

I've created a standard.exe programs that runs fine on my PC. However, when I try running it on a different PC I get error messages such as: Class not registered, missing msstdfmt.dll; oleaut32.dll outdated; missing msvb60.dll and run time active-x error.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

VB doesn't create a nice neat little EXE package for you, instead you require the Runtime files as a Minimum plus any files pertaining to special OCX's or References you made within your Application.

To make sure you get all these and they are correctly registered on your end users PC, you should run either the Setup Wizard or Package and Deployment Wizard that Shipped with VB depending on Which Version you are using.

This will created some Setup Files for you to Distribute that will install and Register all the necessary components to use your Application.

------------------
    Aaron Young
    Analyst Programmer
    aarony@redwingsoftware.com
    adyoung@win.bright.net

Addicted Member

Thanks Aaron! Just like a newbie for me to think that VB puts everything in a nice little package. I ran the PD Wizards and everything seems to go well. However, after installing everything on another PC I still get an error message "run time error 429, cannot create active x object".

Thanks!

When you run the P&D Wizard, make sure all the OCX's / DLLs you use in your App have been Selected, if not click Add and Select them.

Otherwise make sure they are all correctly registered, eg. From the Run Dialog..

RegSvr32 C:\Windows\System32\Comdlg32.ocx

Depending on which ActiveX Component it's complaining about.

------------------
    Aaron Young
    Analyst Programmer
    aarony@redwingsoftware.com
    adyoung@win.bright.net

Addicted Member

Also be careful about extras that are loaded on your PC from other projects etc. Ensure all required references are made in the Project before compilation/distribution.

I'm a beginner in Visual Basic. I share a common situation as yours. I have developed a program, which installs and runs on my computer. But when I install and run the program on another computer, which does not have Visual basic 6 installed, I get the same exact "Class not registered - Looking for object with clsd:{00000010-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4 " message. If you happen to find out what this means, please email me at belfers@execpc.com. Also it does not matter how small a program I write, It will not run on any other machine. Part of me wonders if I'm supposed to include some "special" support file when the project is being packaged for deployment. However, I thought that the deployment wizard would decide which DLL files, etc would be needed to support all components of the project - I guess not. Any one have any Ideas?

Addicted Member

Apparently, I was using the latest version of Microsoft Data Access Component (MDAC). Version 2.0 is distributed with VB6.0, but there's a later version (2.1) that's available. You will need to add this to your deployment package. Get it here http://www.microsoft.com/data/download_21242023.htm.

Also, see prior reply at http://www.vb-world.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/002301.html