Thread: Controling then Number of users logged

Lively Member

How can I know the number of users that have logged into a database.
    I need to manage then Number of licenses.
    thanks

------------------

What I did in my app:

1) I created a dir (in the same path of my mdb)

2) For each user that logon I create an empty MDB (UserXXX.mdb - where xxx is his code) and open NOT shared.

3) I created another MDB (InfoXXX.mdb) with one table that report me who is, when became logged and what is his machine.

4) To verify how many is logged I delete all UserXXX.mdb, so theese that I couldn't delete is 'cause they are logged. If the number if bigger than the license show a message!

Tip: Before create your UserXXXX.mdb delete it, if it's impossible is't 'cause the user is already logged.

Tip2: Never delete InfoXXX.mdb

Tip3: Create a class that could be used into others programs. DON'T create a DLL 'cause will be easy hack.

This logic works with me since the juriasic Clipper.

Jefferson

PowerPoster

If you are using Access, I have a DLL from Microsoft that gives information about who is logged into any MDB file you specify. I dunno if I'm allowed to distribute it to others, but I can distibute it with my apps as I bought the Book/CD that is came on. You can simply put all the machine names using it into say a list box and count the number of items...it's quite easy to use and is very effective.

I'm not sure what Jefferson means by "hacking DLL", but to be honest, it works for me and I've had no probs

If you want it, and supporting documentation, e-mail me and I shall ty and find them (ages since I used it!)

Regards,

------------------
    - Chris
    chris.kilhams@btinternet.com
    If it ain't broke - don't fix it

I say "hacking DLL" 'cause my self can change some information using an editor disk tool. So if I can do that other can do!

Jefferson