Thread: compiling woes : dll & activeX

I am trying to publish an application for network (NT) workstations. It works ok on my machine, but I am having trouble getting it to work elsewhere. I've tried copying dll's as specified in boot errors, and am now getting an error "ActiveX component cannot create objects" from my MDI. Is there an easy way to specify what files are missing, or do I just keep copying files until I get the right one?

How did you install your Application on other Workstations? Did you create Setup Files using the Setup Wizard/P&D Wizard?

------------------
    Aaron Young
    Analyst Programmer
    aarony@redwingsoftware.com
    ajyoung@pressenter.com

No, I didn't use wizards. I copied .exe to NT and tried to evoke it from the other workstations.

How do I use one of these wizards you suggest?

Hyperactive Member

or... your app is trying to use an older version of the AX DLL, and it cant find it, because you have compiled a newer version of the dll.
    go to references and check all is well.. then recompile your app.
    that might cure it

------------------
    cintel rules
    www.cintelsoftware.co.uk

Yes, this may be it. When I am installing to a workstation, the setup asks if I want to keep newer version of MSADO20.TLB. That means I am trying to install an older one. How do I change the reference in my project, or do I accept the older one on installation instead?

Depending on your Version of VB you should have got an application called Setup Wizard or Package and Deployment Wizard, these packages build the files you require to install and run your application on the end users PC.

I would recommend launching whichever is appropriate to your version and using it to create your install files.

------------------
    Aaron Young
    Analyst Programmer
    ajyoung@pressenter.com

Thanks for the tip about P&D wizard. Pretty cool, and one would think that would take care of it. Unfortunately, I'm still getting an error (#429 ActiveX component can't create object). Any tip here?

Maybe when you ran the Wizard it didn't pickup all the OCX's you used in your Application, go back through it and make sure they're all listed.

------------------
    Aaron Young
    Analyst Programmer
    ajyoung@pressenter.com