Thread: How do I reasign a constant to a Variable

Hyperactive Member

Unhappy

I have a constant
    Public Const gDataBaseName = "\\SRVR\shares\Action Request\Action Requestcon.mdb"
    This is where my Database resides. The problem is if the database moves I will have to go in and change code. To not have to do this I added an .ini file that I can change from within the program. How do I reasign that Constant to the new Variable? I need a constant because through out the program it is being called.

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks Troy
    TMacPherson
    MIS Systems Engineer
    t_macpherson@yahoo.com

You can't reassign constant. You'd need to use a public or global variable for this purpose.

Paul

Fanatic Member
    You need to do this through API calls. You should also really be using the Registry by now.

I can't remember the Registry API's but do a search for GetProfileString (the API to recall data from an .INI file) or WriteProfileString on the Microsoft site. That might be a good point to start. www.vbapi.com is very good as a complete reference to API calls, but you need to have at least an idea of what it's name is.

Cheers,

P.
    Not nearly so tired now...

Haven't been around much so be gentle...

Hyperactive Member
    Sorry paulw
    You must have miss-understood.. I know how to read and write to ini's and the registry I was just lookin to see if anyone had a way to reasign a constant to a new value. If you want to know how to write to the registry follow this link

http://www.planetsourcecode.com/xq/A...s/ShowCode.htm
    TMacPherson
    MIS Systems Engineer
    t_macpherson@yahoo.com