Thread: Interrupt shortcut double click event.

Question

I am tring to create a program for my sister. She want to be able to prevent her kids from running any program she tell mine. She want it to ask for a password before even running the program. And depending on if the user get the password correct or not, determines whether the program is even loaded.

I have tried several different methods of doing this and nothing seems to work. I have tried API calls, like FindWindowEx. I believe the only way to do this is to intecept the double click event for the either the shortcut or application itself but I don't know how to go about this. I have access to both VB 5.0 and 6.0., but I use 5.0 more often.
    Jim.

us_baldeagle@yahoo.com

transcendental analytic kedaman's Avatar
    Why not encrypting the exes, or even by manipulating some bits of them and they won't function until your app restores them
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    writing haskell makes your life easier:
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

Question encrypt

I have considered that. in fact encryption is part of what I want to do, but I dont want to use another program to do this.

Furthermore I don't know how to manipulate bits in vb. could that cause corruption in the file if anything is done incorrectly?
    Jim.

us_baldeagle@yahoo.com

You don't manipulate the bits individually of course, yeah the file is probably corrupted immediately after encryption, that means noone can use the file without having your app decrypting it first.

Most encryptions are slow and i assume your sisters kids don't know a lot about how to crack simple ones, so i guess you just need to encrypt a short part of the file, or add a header to the file that won't let it execute
    Use
    writing software in C++ is like driving rivets into steel beam with a toothpick.
    reverse (p (6*9)) where p x|x==0=""|True=chr (48+z): p y where (y,z)=divMod x 13
    To throw away OOP for low level languages is myopia, to keep OOP is hyperopia. To throw away OOP for a high level language is insight.

Smile encrytption

Yes that would work great. Can you tell me what I need to study to learn to do that? Point me in a direction so that I can do it.
    Jim.

us_baldeagle@yahoo.com

hehe well i could point at my homepage, theres some fast encryption methods
    Use