Thread: can i store a class in a DLL?

Lively Member

Question

i think traditional usage of DLLs is to contain a library of subs and fuctions.

I've developed a class that I'd like to reuse in projects in the future but I don't want the class code in the project to prevent any temptation to altering it (and maybe breaking my other applications).

Can I compile just a class into a .DLL and then create an instance of that class in my project?

ive looked around and haven't found anything like this.

thanks for any info anyone can provide

Yes, you can compile just a class into an ActiveX Dll.

Paul

Well ...

You didn't find anything, because in VB, that's what DLLs are meant for, writing classes.

In VB, you cannot write a DLL without having a class into it, so it's not simply a collection of Subs and Functions.
    I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Lively Member

ahh =)

thanks for the info..

is any special notation required when instancing a class that resides in a .DLL instead of a class that resides in the project?

thanks again

You can either make a reference to the dll and use your class just like you would when referencing any other dll (like when you reference ADO to make connections and recordsets) or use CreateObject. I prefer to make a reference to get the Intellisense support.

Cheers,
    Paul

Well ...

Nope, only in case of DLL, add a reference to it through Project > References.
    I am not a complete idiot. Some parts are still missing.
    Check out the rtf-help tutorial
    General VB Faq Thread
    Change is the only constant thing. I have not changed my signature in a long while and now it has started to stink!
    Get more power for your floppy disks. ; View honeybee's Elite Club:
    Use meaningfull thread titles. And add "[Resolved]" in the thread title when you have got a satisfactory response.
    And if that response was mine, please think about giving me a rep. I like to collect them!

Lively Member

last question ;)

you guys have been a big help, thanks

ive created my class. it has public properties and subs defined, i compile into the DLL and set a reference to it in another project. after i create an instance of my new object i'm not getting any intellisense support.

something doesn't seem right. Do i have to use regsvr32 with my .DLLs before i can use them?

thanks =)

You shouldn't have to. How are you instancing your object? After making a reference you should be able to do something like:

Dim obj As YourClassName

Set obj = New YourClassName

obj.WhatEver ' You should get intellisense support here!

Set obj = Nothing

Paul

Lively Member
    not sure what happened but ive got intellisense now.. thanks anyway =)