Thread: VB6: Spinning Game (Source and Exe)

VB6: Spinning Game (Source and Exe)

I've made about half a dozen games as part of my year 12 Software Development course. There are others that will be better than this when finished, but at the moment this is the one that is most polished. There are instructions in game but basically you just have to click a button as something spins, and time it well. There are 4 difficulties, and you get more points on faster speeds.
    Please rate it out of 10, and feel free to post any constructive criticism etc, im always willing to learn from those who know better than i do.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: VB6: Spinning Game (Source and Exe)

I am good at this game (see attached). Very good....

Test your program before you post it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If what I said was helpful, give me rep!

My Complete Games: -- 2D Zone (Space Shooter game) || _2D Zone 2_ || Ninja Blob (2D platformer) || Dren (Co-op up to 4 player base defence game)

My Projects: -- The Dread Engine (2D VB game Engine) || A* Path Finding

An excellent site for learning DirectX7, 8 & 9 (for VB6, C# & VB.net) would be: directx4vb.vbgamer.com --- For my projects and games see: pieper.freehostia.com

Question Re: VB6: Spinning Game (Source and Exe)

I've tested it countless times and never had anything like that happen.
    What did you do? Surely it didn't just do that on its own. If you found a bug the least you could do is tell me what it is.

Sorry, my picture did not describe the problem with it. I phyiscally edited the textbox with the score in..... You forgot to lock it!

My Complete Games: -- 2D Zone (Space Shooter game) || _2D Zone 2_ || Ninja Blob (2D platformer) || Dren (Co-op up to 4 player base defence game)

An excellent site for learning DirectX7, 8 & 9 (for VB6, C# & VB.net) would be: directx4vb.vbgamer.com --- For my projects and games see: pieper.freehostia.com

Ah. Thanks muchly. Little things like i find are very easy to overlook. Other than that, how'd you find the actual game? Any suggestions/comments?

I am also in "Year 12" and found that you could have tried something harder. I am not criticizing you but I am actually trying to encourage you to make something more difficult. On my course I was aiming for a distiction.

What "course" are you on and what are you trying to achieve ?

Im doing VCE, Victorian Certificate of Education. Don't know if im telling you things you already know here, cause i don't know where you are, but VCE is the standard qualification that 16-18 year olds (years 11-12) do in Victoria, Australia, although you can leave at the end of year 10 if you want. Information systems is the official name of the IT subject that I'm doing, and the 2 areas of assessment are information systems (networking etc) and software development. I'm topping my class at the moment, and I'm looking to get mid 40s (out of 50) for the subject, which would put me roughly in the top 1-2% of the state. I want to do a double degree in Software Engineering and Commerce at Melbourne Uni next year. But im waffling.
    Some of the other stuff ive made includes a maze you have to guide your mouse through (complete with moving walls), a really simple one where you click randomly appearing targets for points, and a 2D game chasing people down with a goat using keydown movement etc (i came up with the handy method in the last post myself: http://vbforums.com/showthread.php?p=1634514)
    If you have any suggestions for something a bit harder i could make then go ahead. Most of the stuff ive made so far is just different applications of the same stuff (random integers, variable arrays, changing control properties, timers). Oh and I have no idea how to use API. I barely even know what it is. Just that its confusing when i look at it. Im sure i could learn it, just havent tried yet. Man i write such long posts :S

I am on a BND for IT practitioners course (Software development) which is equilivelent to 3 A-Levels and I am heading for a triple Merit (MMM). I find all the programming units far too easy while everyone else in my class struggles. I study languages before I learn them as I find them facinating and end up being a better programmer than my lecturer. The only reason I am not aiming for a triple distiction is because my course is quite general and covers E-Commerce, System Analysis and design and the dreaded system justification.
    On top of that I am aiming to go to university too. The course I want to study will basically be games programming. I think if you want to go to university you will need to aim higher... like me and try to be the best.

Before you ask I am from England not America.

From what ive seen in your posts you know a lot more about programming than i do, but relative to our situations, were pretty similar. I do extra work outside of class which i really dont have to, simply because i enjoy it, I find the vast majority of what we do very easy while others struggle, and i would say i do know more than my teacher. But the reasons for all this are a) my teacher is useless and couldnt even tell me things like how to generate a reandom integer, how to use goto, or that variables declared in Subs are only used in that Sub, and b) the course is very very simple. My girlfriend here in Aus used to live in England and from what she tells me, VCE is somewhere between GCSE and A-levels, so you're doing a more advanced course than i am. Our recent practice piece before our first major assessment is attached if you want to see just how simple our course is.
    So all of that said, what do you recommend I should try if i want to really stretch myself, given that i want to do programming at uni?
    Cheers
    PS: the textboxes are now locked
    Attached Files Attached Files