Thread: Complex report runs slow

Fanatic Member

Complex report runs slow

I have a crystal report that basically does a summary of three tables. It does a total count, counts work orders closed and open for all three, then puts those totals into a report. WHen I run the report it runs fine but can take a minute or more to run. ANy idea on how to speed this up?

Re: Complex report runs slow

Post some code dude.

Fanatic Member

Thats kind of hard as its just a crystal viewer and a report. THe report has 7 running totals from 3 tables. Nothing crazy but slow as hell.

try to put some indexes on the summary fields and also on the tables primary and foriegn keys.

it is very hard for me to tell which index exactly to add as i know noting about your dbase schema. but add indexes to fields either used in join query or fields that sum out directly in the report.

also check the crystal report designer in visual studio.net, it has an option in the report options called (use indexes to speed up report), make sure that this option is checked.

Good Luck

Fanatic Member

Thanks for the great info. I will look into those. Currently, I could not sit and wait for help as this project needs to be completed by Friday and its only the one report thats slow so I am using .drawstrings to make the report manually. Thanks again