Thread: multiuser access2000 database

Hyperactive Member

Smile multiuser access2000 database

hi all ,

i am planning to start a multiuser(at least 3 people) project with VB 6.0, MS Access 2000 and ADODB. What all the things i should take care. in this i hv to use remote server support too. i never used b4 the sever and all . am bit confused how can i get start the project

thanx in advance

saj

Re: multiuser access2000 database

I wouldnt recommend using Access for multiple users, as it will lag pretty badly for the users.

A more reliable database would be mySQL, and you could get it running on both linux and windows using apache.

If you install apache, it would also solve your remote server support issue.

For info on apache & mySQL check out http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/index.html

HTH

Hyperactive Member

thanx 4 the reply

at this point of time i hv only msaccess with me. is it wil make big issue in multi user environment? i want to start the project this week. any help can be appreciated

saj

It will run slow for the users, but if they don't mind it too much, then you could simply load the DB up to a server, and have the users access it.

You would just have to change the pathname in your connectionstring

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Access databases, in multiuser envirnoments, have a tendancy to get corrupted fairly easily so I would suggest you build in an aggressive backup stratedgy into your project, and be prepared to do Compact and Repairs on your database on a regular basis.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Access databases, in multiuser envirnoments, have a tendancy to get corrupted fairly easily so I would suggest you build in an aggressive backup stratedgy into your project, and be prepared to do Compact and Repairs on your database on a regular basis.
    If I was creating a program for multiusers what type of database should I use since access tends to run into problems in this area like you said? Lets say I was going to write a program which would have 50-100 users accessing it. What would be my best options as far as databases in this type of environment? I'm guessing SQL server would be best?

I have 3 PCs at home on a router. If I wanted to write a program and practice the whole SQL server environment from home what should I buy? I don't have a server at home so I don't think I can buy/install SQL server at home, right? If not, is there something similar to SQL server I could buy/install at home so I can practice on rather than only using Access?

The best free software out there is mySQL. You can use it as your database.

If you have some extra cash, you could buy a cheap version of MSSQL server, although mySQL can handle almost everything it can.

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty
    The best free software out there is mySQL. You can use it as your database.

If you have some extra cash, you could buy a cheap version of MSSQL server, although mySQL can handle almost everything it can.
    Since it is for home use, I completely agree with kfcsmitty. If this were for work, however, I'd tell the cheap S.O.B.s I work for to get out the check book 'cause I want SQL Server.

Since it is for home use, I completely agree with kfcsmitty. If this were for work, however, I'd tell the cheap S.O.B.s I work for to get out the check book 'cause I want SQL Server.

SQL server eh? Why not dish out the real cash and go for Oracle

I had an interview at a place that was going to use oracle..but I didnt get the job

Hyperactive Member

haha Nah, they have SQL server already at work. I'm still i process of getting access to it though. But, I'd like something similiar to it at home so I can practice/study since I'm new to it. I'll give that mySQL a try. When I get home I'll do a google on mySQL to see if I can download it somewhere.

BUT, if you happen to have a link where I can download mySQL that'd be great too!

You can buy the "Developer Edition" of SQL Server pretty cheaply (about $50 I think), which does not actually need a server (but can only be used for development/test purposes).

Quote Originally Posted by lilmark
    BUT, if you happen to have a link where I can download mySQL that'd be great too!
    It is called mysql.com

http://www.mysql.com/

Thats kind of a myth. I'm running 81 concurrent users right now on DAO/Access..very fast. ADO was somewhat slower overall.
    Last edited by default user; May 3rd, 2006 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by default user
    Thats kind of a myth. I'm running 81 concurrent users right now on DAO/Access..very fast. ADO was somewhat slower overall.
    81 people that use your application or 81 actual, at the same time, concurrent users?

Yes, 81 people working at the same time (concurrent) . About 85% of operations are fetches, 15% appends. db over 300 Meg, almost a million records.
    Actually it runs just bout as fast with 81 on as it does with two users, just the log-in time takes an extra two-three seconds, but that only happens once on app startup. I found speed and users don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by default user
    Yes, 81 people working at the same time (concurrent) . About 85% of operations are fetches, 15% appends. db over 300 Meg, almost a million records.
    Actually it runs just bout as fast with 81 on as it does with two users, just the log-in time takes an extra two-three seconds, but that only happens once on app startup. I found speed and users don't have to be mutually exclusive.
    Then, in 15 years of dealing with Access, all versions since 2.0, you are the very first I have ever heard of with that many concurrent users, and are running with no problems.

You are not the rule. You are, most definately, the exception, and my opinion on multiuser environments, with Access, remains unchanged.

I understand, but it wasn't by accident, we tested our methods thoroughly till we got that performance. Most problems occure when taking the typical MS example and scaling it up in users or frequency without optimizing ones methods. Quite a bit of MS-supplied advice was just way off the mark, like built-in queries for example....sure, they can be faster, but they don't tell you that only one user can use them at time, so they suk for multiuser, better off with a SQL select or action..things like that. And table relationships don't help with performance but do cause rapid DB bloat...etc.
    Cool username, Hack.

Hyperactive Member

hi all,

thanks alot for all the replies. i feel that access wont be suit for multiuser, especially the user exceeding more than 20-25. but in my case there wont be more than 5 users. and another thing in my project is there is one remote server am using. i hv to get data from thre too. in that case access will be Ok ?. or it will make problems when data exceeding ?

saj