Thread: ASP.NET Forums code

ASP.NET Forums code

I'm trying to create a forum using ASP.NET with VB.NET. I'm attempting to have an extremly high level of intergration between my main site and the forum, so i'd rather code the whole thing myself than use a pre-existing solution. I was wondering if anyone knew of any tutorials or open-source code I could look at for some ideas, or at least know of a good book / web-site to get my started.

I have a pretty firm grasp on ASP.NET, VB.NET and SQL Server, I just need some guidance as far as putting them to use in a forum is concerned.

PowerPoster

Re: ASP.NET Forums code

believe it or not, i've just finished creating a forum from scratch using ASP.NET and SQL Server!
    it's hard, a good challange but got there in the end, just making it go live as i type

MVP 2007-2010 any chance of a regain?
    Professional Software Developer and Infrastructure Engineer.

How long did it take you to code everything? Any code / sites you can point me twoard?

Fanatic Member

I've never done this per se, but is it really that hard? Is there more to it than having a table for topics, then a table for posts which include a foreign key column to link to the topic. So to pull out a thread you search for all posts that belong to a given thread, sort by date posted, and then display them.

If you plan on having people be able to reply to specific posts and not just to the thread in general, then you can create a tree structure in the database that works really fast. I can post a link to a site that explains how to do that. It also works well for e-commerce sites that store product/category information.
    The human brain cannot hold all of the knowledge that exists in this world, but it can hold pointers to that knowledge.

PowerPoster

well it took me a good 2 weeks to do it, working on it about 14 hours per day, including getting the smiley's to work and render correctly, registration, retrieving lost details, sending out topic notifications (webservice), then doing the admin management system, making sure that user doesnt spam (time outs and disable the button when posting a reply/topic to prevent them from clicking again and again)

securing it, then also designing the database and stored procedures....

MVP 2007-2010 any chance of a regain?
    Professional Software Developer and Infrastructure Engineer.

Fanatic Member

Well that's where all the work went
    The human brain cannot hold all of the knowledge that exists in this world, but it can hold pointers to that knowledge.