Thread: VB & COM--> VB .NET

I have a question about the transition from VB 6 to VB.NET I have heard that microsoft is going away from COM and going towards another technology. Is this true? I heard that you will still be able to use COM in a rudementry form but the sharing of componets will be based off another technology. To me this seems kinda wierd because so much of microsofts current stuff is based off of COM and COM+. Hell, the whole infrastructure of Windows 2000 is COM+. I guess i want to know is the rumors i have heard...are they true? I just started to learn COM+...am i waisting my time because it will be phased out with the newer technology (whatever it is going to be called). What will happen to MTS/COM+ and its technologies. Will the die with .NET strategy? Would you recommend concentrating on learning the new object model technology for now or do you think COM will last?

thanks for your time,
    ncage

Addicted Member
    COM is here to stay. COM is the base architecture of .Net
    And of course COM+.
    Check out Microsofts website and navigate to their description of .Net

André

Hyperactive Member tumblingdown's Avatar
    COM is dead. Long live COM.

If we had a forum for this, we could really long discussions all day long...

Apparently, most 'legacy' (com wise) code should fit into your .net framework fairly easily (according to M$!!), if you follow some basic rules like never using New and allways using CreateObject etc, etc.

td.
    "One logical slip and an entire scientific edifice comes tumbling down." - Robert M. Pirsig

tumblingdown@hotmail.com

"but if Einstein is right and God is in the details, reality requires that we sometimes get religion." - Scott Meyers.

Addicted Member
    Well, in .Net you will program in VB7 and there are syntax improvements to accomodate to .net

Regarding New, New is just an abstraction of CoCreateInstance, so for me it sounds better to use CoCreateInstance or CreateObject than New.

André

Hyperactive Member tumblingdown's Avatar
    the reason for doing it is so that .net can handle the creation and garbage collection.

td.
    "One logical slip and an entire scientific edifice comes tumbling down." - Robert M. Pirsig

tumblingdown@hotmail.com

"but if Einstein is right and God is in the details, reality requires that we sometimes get religion." - Scott Meyers.