Thread: Reading text from a foreign control...

Unhappy Reading text from a foreign control...

I haven't used Visual Basic since high school and I am a little rusty. I require the api code that will let me read a label on a foreign program and save it into a variable. Basically, I need my program to do what spy++ does, but only with a specific program and a specific label. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Justin V.

Re: Reading text from a foreign control...

do some searches in these forums, there are many examples.
    Use findwindow, findwindowex and sendmessage WM_GETTEXT

Use spy++ first off. FindWindow and FindWindowEx will help you get the correct control, but first off you want to figure out what to look for. Since you mention spy++, I would assume you have already used it a few times. You may have noticed that whenever you open the program, you can figure out which window you will need based on the caption, or the window type (less reliable, since it could be duplicated).

Then you will want these functions:

VB Code:
    1. Declare Ansi Function FindWindow Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowA" (ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Integer
    2.     Declare Ansi Function GetWindowText Lib "user32" Alias "GetWindowTextA" (ByVal hWnd As Integer, ByVal lpString As System.Text.StringBuilder, ByVal nMaxCount As Integer) As Integer
    3.     Declare Ansi Function FindWindowEx Lib "user32" Alias "FindWindowExA" (ByVal hWndParent As Integer, ByVal hWndChildAfter As Integer, ByVal lpClassName As String, ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Integer

However, this is from VB.NET, not vb6. If you are using VB6, you will want to use Longs in place of the Integers.

That's a start. If you want an example, I could post one.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Frenzied Member

shaggy hiker could u show me a working example of getting text from external window that we know itss caption and class name using vb6?Thanks