Thread: New User Creation

Hyperactive Member

New User Creation

Hello everyone, I know this isn't the correct forum to post in, but no one is active in the vbscript forum. Hoping someone here can take a quick look at let me know what I am doing wrong, this is the last piece that is hanging me up.

I just started a new job where we frequently need to create new FTP accounts. The accounts are stored locally on a server running Windows Server 2003

Current I just go in and do a "NET USER xxxx xxxx ..." but now I want to create a script to fill in the xxxx stuff and it will create all my folders as well

I have the script creating the folders and creating the account, but I cannot modify certain parts of the account. For example, I need to set a comment on the account but if the comment is more than one word, it errors out. here is the code that I have right now

VB Code:
    1. Dim sTopDirectory, sUserAccounts, sServerName, sUserPassword, sFirstName, sLastName
    3. Set oArgs = Wscript.Arguments
    4. sTopDirectory = oArgs(0)
    5. sUserAccounts = oArgs(1)
    6. sServerName = oArgs(2)
    7. sUserPassword = oArgs(3)
    8. sFirstName = oArgs(4)
    9. sLastName = oArgs(5)
    11. If oArgs.Count <> 6 Then
    12.     Wscript.Echo "Syntax:  folder.vbs TopDirectory UserAccounts ServerName Password FirstName LastName"
    13.     Wscript.Echo " "
    14.     Wscript.Echo " "
    15.     Wscript.Quit 1
    16. End If
    18. Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
    19. Return = WshShell.run("cmd /c NET USER "& sTopDirectory &" "& sUserPassword &" /ADD",0,true)
    20. Wscript.Echo Return
    21. Return = WshShell.run("cmd /c NET USER "& sTopDirectory &" /COMMENT:"user of d$\(in/out)" ",0,true)
    22. Wscript.Echo Return

The error happens at the following bold section:

Return = WshShell.run("cmd /c NET USER "& sTopDirectory &" /COMMENT:"user of d$\(in/out)" ",0,true)

The error says that it expects a ")"

Please let me know what to do!!

PowerPoster

Re: New User Creation

VB Code:
    1. Return = WshShell.run("cmd /c NET USER "& sTopDirectory &" /COMMENT:"user of d$\(in/out)" ",0,true)

try this:
    VB Code:
    1. Return = WshShell.run("cmd /c NET USER " & sTopDirectory & " /COMMENT: user of d$\(in/out)",0,true)

Hyperactive Member

When I do that, the account is created but the comment is not filled in.

PowerPoster

try this:

VB Code:
    1. Return = WshShell.run("cmd /c NET USER " & sTopDirectory & " /COMMENT: " & "user of d$\(in/out)",0,true)