Thread: boot disk question

Addicted Member

boot disk question

i want to format my pc. i have a windows xp disk, but do i need a floppy A: disk too?

In the past I had a boot disk that installed cd-rom drivers (i think), and tools like fdisk and format. I would use those then run the installation from the CD.

I lost the disk with all those utils on it, and i was wonderign where i could possibly find a new one somewhere ??

please inform me - thank jusitn.,
    --thanks for the help.

Addicted Member dim_kevin_as_human's Avatar

Re: boot disk question

if you can boot from your CD, you do not need a floppy, changing partitions and formatting can be done within setup. Restart your computer with your XP CD in the drive, if setup loads, you really don't need the disk.
    Dreaming men are haunted men.

Running off of the CD is allot faster and better. If it doesnt boot to CD you may have to change your BIOS Boot priority settings.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

If you find that you really need to boot from a floppy disk, then you can download a self-extracting executable that will easily create the boot disk at the following site:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downr..._bootdisks.htm

--Rich