Thread: Select...Case & If...Else!

Question Select...Case & If...Else!

Select...Case & If...Else - are there any advantages/disadvantages of the former over the latter or vice-versa?

ARPAN

IF YOU HAVE AN APPLE & I HAVE AN APPLE AND WE EXCHANGE THE APPLES, THEN YOU & I WILL STILL HAVE ONE APPLE BUT IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA & I HAVE AN IDEA AND WE EXCHANGE OUR IDEAS, THEN EACH OF US WILL HAVE TWO IDEAS!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE IN THIS WORLD.....EVEN THE WORD IMPOSSIBLE SAYS I'M POSSIBLE!

PRACTICE MAKES A MAN PERFECT BUT NOBODY IS PERFECT; SO WHY PRACTICE?

Re: Select...Case & If...Else!

I believe the perceived efficiency issue is that in a SELECT/CASE with lots of CASE statements that it will jump to the END SELECT after the active CASE is met.

There is obvious syntax differences - the SELECT/CASE simply looks much better visually with a dozen options.

There is a kind of "implied hierarchy" to IF/THEN/ELSe/IF...

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

I believe the perceived efficiency issue is that in a SELECT/CASE with lots of CASE statements that it will jump to the END SELECT after the active CASE is met.
    The same happens in If...Else statements as well; as soon as the condition is satisfied, VB runtime will jump to the End If line.......

ARPAN

IF YOU HAVE AN APPLE & I HAVE AN APPLE AND WE EXCHANGE THE APPLES, THEN YOU & I WILL STILL HAVE ONE APPLE BUT IF YOU HAVE AN IDEA & I HAVE AN IDEA AND WE EXCHANGE OUR IDEAS, THEN EACH OF US WILL HAVE TWO IDEAS!

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE IN THIS WORLD.....EVEN THE WORD IMPOSSIBLE SAYS I'M POSSIBLE!

Switch or Select Statements are more standard in a situation where you have a number of possible cases. There isn't really a performance difference that you would ever notice... it's just one of those things where you have a normal way to write code.

Select case is more efficient.. as stated... and easier to use in some cases

Like:

VB Code:
    1. If X = 10 Or X = 11 Or X = 13 Then
    3. ElseIf X = 12 Or (X > 14 And X < 18) Then
    5. End If
    7. 'where as case..
    9. Select Case X
    10.     Case 10, 11, 13
    12.     Case 12, 15 To 17
    14. End Select
    JPnyc rocks!! (Just ask him!)
    If u have your answer please go to the thread tools and click "Mark Thread Resolved"

Think about those who will follow you in coding (or maybe yourself in a few months). It would be easier to figure out what a Select Case statement does than a complex If...then...else statement.

It just plain reads BETTER!!!!

Don't Be a Will Allen!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by randem; Apr 28th, 2006 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arpan_de
    The same happens in If...Else statements as well; as soon as the condition is satisfied, VB runtime will jump to the End If line.......
    Not really...

Code:
    Select Case lngValue
        Case 1
        Case 2
        Case 3
        Case 4
    End Select
    Cannot be replaced by

Code:
    If lngValue = 1 Then
    End If

If lngValue = 2 Then
    End If

If lngValue = 3 Then
    End If

If lngValue = 4 Then
    End If
    Without using GOTO you cannot mimic the SELECT CASE behaviour of "jumping" to the END SELECT with IF/Blocks easily.

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by randem
    Think about those who will follow you in coding (or maybe yourself in a few months). It would be easier to figure out what a Select Case statement does than a complex If...then...else statement.
    I could not agree more - maintainability of code is so much more important at times then simple old efficiency.

When we have a complex IF statement we sometimes code it like this:

VB Code:
    1. booDoSomething = True
    3. If booDoSomething Then
    4.    If {check some condition to see if we really want to do this} Then
    5.        booDoSomething = False
    6.    End of
    7. End If
    9. If booDoSomething Then
    10.    If {check some other condition (2) to see if we really want to do this} Then
    11.        booDoSomething = False
    12.    End of
    13. End If
    15. If booDoSomething Then
    16.    If {check some other condition (3) to see if we really want to do this} Then
    17.        booDoSomething = False
    18.    End of
    19. End If
    21. If booDoSomething Then
    22.    Call SomeFunction
    23. End If
    This might seem like odd code but the alternative is:

VB Code:
    1. If {check some condition to see if we really want to do this} _
    2.       or {check some other condition (2) to see if we really want to do this} _
    3.       or {check some other condition (3) to see if we really want to do this} Then
    4.    Call SomeFunction
    5. End If
    This alternative might appear easier to write - but visit it 6 months later and add a NOT condition or an AND/OR condition and watch the bugs fly!

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Not really...
    szlamany, what I meant was for a condition like this:
    VB Code:
    1. If lngValue = 1 Then
    2.    ...
    3. ElseIf lngValue = 2 Then
    4.    ...
    5. ElseIf lngValue = 3 Then
    6.    ...
    7. ElseIf lngValue = 4 Then
    8.    ...
    9. End If
    & not for the If code snippet you have cited in post #7. So
    VB Code:
    1. Select Case lngValue
    2.     Case 1
    3.         ...
    4.     Case 2
    5.         ...
    6.     Case 3
    7.         ...
    8.     Case 4
    9.         ...
    10. End Select
    can very well be replaced by the If...Else conditional statements I have shown above. The Select...Case equivalent of the If conditions you have cited in post #7 would be
    VB Code:
    1. Select Case lngValue
    2.     Case 1
    3.         ...
    4. End Select
    6. Select Case lngValue
    7.     Case 2
    8.         ...
    9. End Select
    11. Select Case lngValue
    12.     Case 3
    13.         ...
    14. End Select
    16. Select Case lngValue
    17.     Case 4
    18.         ...
    19. End Select
    Select case is more efficient.. as stated... and easier to use in some cases

Like:
    Static, you have really shown a very good example to highlight the difference in readability between If....Else & Select...Case statements especially when the conditions turn out to be pretty complex.....great stufffffffff

ARPAN

I understand what you meant now...

I personally could never use the ELSEIF statement - what I appreciate about IF/THEN/ELSE blocks are the indented nature of them.

That ELSEIF statement never made any sense to me - makes for some hard to follow logic-flow.
    Last edited by szlamany; Apr 28th, 2006 at 07:09 PM. Reason: oops - typo...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008