Thread: MDB file corrupt - Power Failure during Compacting DB

MDB file corrupt - Power Failure during Compacting DB

Dear all,
    now i'm facing a big problems. I made the program from VB 6.0 and provide the user with compact and repair utilities. The database size is about 102 Megs, during compact and repair process user shutting down the computer. Now, when opening the database showing error " unrecognized database format ", tryin to open the binary file, the corruption very bad. I've searchin troubleshooting for this kind problems and found it in microsoft site and other site. The desperated thing is, they just tell me "Restore the latest backup file or re-create database"
    God, pulling my hair out the data very important for the user, i've provided the backup utilities too in my program ... but they never use it ... Ahhh, doom !!
    so, all i got just corrupt MDB file.

Please, is there any other solutions for me ...

Regard,

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: MDB file corrupt - Power Failure during Compacting DB

Have you tried opening it up using Access itself rather than your VB program?

If you can't even do that, and there is no backup, well......

Better option is to copy all the tables from that mdb file to another mdb thru VB(one by one.Also u can identify which table is being corrupted also).
    If you are not able to open using VB also....then there is no other go except replacing latest backup

Not a whole lot you can do other then to try to find a recovery services company. If the db is that large you should not be backing it up or compact and repairing upon shut down or closure of your program.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Lively Member

Even though you cant open the database in Access you can still run the "Repair and Compact" tool (dunno if it exactly called that cause I'm not using an english access). Run the tool and then choose the corrupt database. You could also try this tool http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q273956

There are also many programs that you can use the recover the data, Google is your friend in this case

Edit: Before trying any of those programs (or anything at all actually) make a backup of the corrupted database incase it gets messed up even more
    VB.Net 2005 Express
    .Net Framework 2.0

Thanks to all,

@Hack, unfortunately you're rite

Recovery service, JetComp.EXE failed.

Well, now i'm thinkin for extreme solution. By scanning the user Harddrive, hoping there's a latest temp MDB file, wish me luck then

Regard,

OK, maybe it'll be needed for other that have the same problems like i am

the historical like this :
    ===========================================================
    - Like i said above i made the program using VB 6.0 with back end MS ACCESS
    - I provided compact and repair utilities using JRO - ADO ( Jet Engine )
    - Logical that i made to make this compact and repair works like this :

Close Current Connection

---> new logic --> copy first DB before compact, as default if there's probs

JetEngine.Compact DBSource, DBTemp

IF Process_Done(On_DBTemp) Then

Kill DBSource

Copy DBTemp -> Rename DBTemp = DBSource

Re-Connect

End IF

Done !!!

I don't know, if this is rite or not ... when Compacting ... JetEngine creating buffer first with the size same like DBSource size, and fill with space. All result before put in DBTemp is in memory, and when all operation done ... all buffer in memory dump in DBTemp.

In my case, operation not done yet ... but possibilities with user shutting down their machine due process, making DBTemp still empty coz all result in memory has been reset when machine down. And when the user try to open the program again, there's nothin there except database with spacess buffer

There's no header found also contents in it. And DBMS showing errors :
    " Unrecognized Database ... "

again ... i don't know if that theories are rite, and please for other senior member here to give me other explanations.

This is bad experience for me and i'm learning from it
    now i must scanning the user HardDrive with GetDataBack software and updating the program. bad ... bad ... bad experience

Regard,