Thread: Sort of a Game - New Problem

Sort of a Game - New Problem

Ok, I'm learning visual basic, and I have to say that the MSDN never seems to have exactly what I need. I'm doing the typical "Guessing Game". The main part of it I can do, as I've already done it in Liberty Basic, but as in the title Visual Basic is "Visual". Enough ado, I am trying to make a label display for each attempt (max. of ten). Now I can do:

If attempt = 1 then
    lblGuess1.Caption = "Guess 1: " & Guess & "." & HighLow
    Else If attempt = 2 then
    lblGuess2.Capion = "Guess 2: " & Guess & "." & HighLow
    Else if... etc. etc.

where HighLow is a string that displays if the guessed number is too high or too low or correct.

But doing that way would take too much time, so i want to know if there is a way to make so that the Label, lblGuess, be the label that matches the value of Attempt.

Something like:

lblGuess & attempt.caption = "Guess " & Attempt & ": " & Guess & "." & HighLow.

Is that possible? I know the code I've written doesn't work but is there a way to do what I'm trying to do?

Edit: The previous problem was resolved, but now I have a new one. I really should get my hands on the VB Manual (If there is one).

This is my problem now, and it's quite a simple one; when I make an Input Box when the form loads I need to know how to make the cancel button end the form. A Variable called UserName is value of the Input Box.
    UserName = InputBox("Hello. Please enter your name before playing.", "Name?", "Name")
    Last edited by Prodian; Apr 27th, 2006 at 04:56 PM. Reason: New Problem

Re: Sort of a Game

ok you can set up a control array... to do this take one label on the form copy and paste it, it will ask if you want to make a control array, click yes... then - the labels will be called "lblGuess(0), lblGuess(1), lblGuess(2)"... and so on, so you could do...

lblGuess & "(" & Attempt & ")" = "Guess " & Attempt & ": " & Guess & "." & HighLow.
    Software languages known:
    Qbasic - TI-Basic - Liberty Basic - Visual Basic 6
    Software API's known:
    Directx 7 and 8
    Internet languages, in the process of learning:
    HTML - JAVASCRIPT - PHP - CSS - MYSQL - AJAX

Android OpenGL ES Guru Jacob Roman's Avatar

MSDN sucks to be honest with you, even as a reference. It's best to stick with other sites, like VBForums (check the Game Demos and Code Bank), Planet Source Code, GameDev.net, etc. Plenty of gaming and programming tutorials out there.

Thanks guys, you've been a great help.