Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visual Basics 6.0 waste of time???

Visual Basics 6.0 waste of time???

everytime lets say im in a chatroom asking someone about a vb6 issue im having i get the same responce! what are you doing coding in vb6 its a dinasour language! microsoft dont support it anymore!! you wasting your time! Ugrade to vb.net! If vb6 isnt allready dead it will be in the near future! SO what im wondering should i take these guys advice? Myself personally i love vb6 im pretty new with it and i have a ton of more apps that i want to make with vb6!
    Should i move on???/
    sorry if this is posted in the wrong part of this site!!! Wasnt sure where to post it!
    Thanks Brent

Re: Visual Basics 6.0 waste of time???

You will have mix opinions, if you are just starting to learn then I would suggest going to .Net directly since as it has been pointed out the MS doesn't support VB6.0 anymore, and in .Net you are better secured in the future since it still is growing. For a hobby and ease then VB6.0 would be nice since it is easy to learn...
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

dude compters are computers, almost anything can be done in either language. It is really more of a perseption thing... "Oh VB6 is old, its not any good" - NOT TRUE. If anything .NET may make things easier that may be harder to code in vb6, but come on, it is most likely possible. Seriously what vb application could "only" be coded in .NET?

just keep learning vb6, unless of course you maybe plan on getting payed then yes you should roll with the times, but just know that just because something is outdated does not mean it is useless...
    Software languages known:
    Qbasic - TI-Basic - Liberty Basic - Visual Basic 6
    Software API's known:
    Directx 7 and 8
    Internet languages, in the process of learning:
    HTML - JAVASCRIPT - PHP - CSS - MYSQL - AJAX

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Life Lesson: Never take the advice of anyone in a chatroom!

Of course you will get pro-VB6 responses in this forum and pro-.NET in the VB.NET forum. Just be aware that VB classic is no longer "officially" supported, and the Microsoft world is mostly .NET oriented now, for better or worse.

I thought VB was quite good, for a first language. You can push it surprisingly far. A bit too far, perhaps, but still.

Similar beliefs here too. If your not coding professionally and you already are decently into VB6 then stick with it but do not shut the door on .NET. Eventually you will want to learn it too and then have towo programing languages under your belt.

If your programming professionally then definately upgrade to .NET, probably C# would be best if you want to make the most $$$$.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

is C# better than VB in handling databases? i have no idea on C#, please shed light on this. im really into VB6 for years but now starting to move to vb 2005. but to quote RobDog888
    probably C# would be best if you want to make the most $$$$.
    i'm curious with it... anyway im still about to start learning .NET...
    On Error GoTo Hell

Hell:
    Kill Me

Food For Thought:

- Do not judge a book... if you're not a judge!

Quote Originally Posted by eimroda
    is C# better than VB in handling databases? i have no idea on C#, please shed light on this. im really into VB6 for years but now starting to move to vb 2005. but to quote RobDog888

i'm curious with it... anyway im still about to start learning .NET...
    C# is standardized and somewhat faster than VB.Net hence it is more handsome and accordingly it attracts more $$$$ though in database access I think they are the same in performance...
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

salamat kabsat!

since i am mostly handling databases, should i go to VB? i think its easier to learn than C#...
    On Error GoTo Hell

Hell:
    Kill Me

Food For Thought:

Frenzied Member

dam no one talkes about java and visual c++ . What about them ?

They each have their place. It depends upon if your programming professionally and what area your going into. C++ programmers usually work in the engineering field. Java developers program websites and other stuff that I am not aware of as I dont know Java.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Fanatic Member

Java is basically simplified C, so I suggest learning a bit about Java before going into C/C++.
    If I helped you out, please consider adding to my reputation!

-- "The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard" --

VB6 Programs By Me:
    ** Dictionary, Thesaurus & Rhyme-Generator In One ** WMP Recent Files List Editor ** Pretty Impressive Clock ** Extract Firefox History **

Quote Originally Posted by bammoeller
    everytime lets say im in a chatroom asking someone about a vb6 issue im having i get the same responce! what are you doing coding in vb6 its a dinasour language! microsoft dont support it anymore!! you wasting your time! Ugrade to vb.net! If vb6 isnt allready dead it will be in the near future! SO what im wondering should i take these guys advice? Myself personally i love vb6 im pretty new with it and i have a ton of more apps that i want to make with vb6!
    Should i move on???/
    sorry if this is posted in the wrong part of this site!!! Wasnt sure where to post it!
    Thanks Brent
    I would say go with .NET if your new to vb6, everyone felt the same about upgrading, I did'nt want to upgrade, but I did it and after a few weeks I love .NET!

Also .NET will improve your programming logic with it being object oriented, so you would be able to migrate to other languages fairly easily such as C/++/#/java
    Chris

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Moved to General Developer

Yea im sure the heck not making money coding! Ill keep trucking with vb6 i have been using vb6 for 5 years on and off! I still have alot more to Learn and eager to do it! i read threads none stop from this site! atleast 2 hrs a Night!
    Life Lesson: Never take the advice of anyone in a chatroom!
    Good Point HEHE

Last e-mail from ComputerWorld I got said that there is 1-trillion dollars worth of code running in COBOL on mainframes and the COBOL programmers are starting to die off...

Glad I know COBOL

And I know VB.Net - so I can code with the bleeding-edge product that MS offers...

Learn it all - it's all part of a good package you offer your employers or customers!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Among the many languages I've ever worked with VB6 stands out as the most balanced language ever. It outperforms (well I should say outperformed) many competitors (including the front runners Delphi and C++) in certain tasks. VB.Net is without any doubt is more robust and perhaps more flexible language but it also is way over complicated. Unfortunately .Net (the entire platform which is language independent) is the future so you should follow "the leader" I guess.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by shirazamod
    Java is basically simplified C, so I suggest learning a bit about Java before going into C/C++.
    PHP is the same.

As for VB6 not being good anymore, if you can make your program in it, then its good. Else, its not. Example: If you want to make a simple media player, then you can do that simply in VB6. Is it old? Yes. But you can still get the job done with it. And some (most?) employeers wont go "ok this HAS to be in VB6". I have seen this at RAC, some people will accept it in one langauge or another.
    Its really up to who you ask if VB6 is still a viable langauge. Some say it is, some say it isn't. Whats the real answer? Only you can answer that question.
    My Projects: [ Instant Messagener Client/Server ] [ VBPictochat ]

My Sites:
    [ Datanethost ]
    [ Helpdesk ]

Remember if my post was helpful then Rate This Post.

Quote Originally Posted by k1ll3rdr4g0n
    PHP is the same.

As for VB6 not being good anymore, if you can make your program in it, then its good. Else, its not.
    I agree with you. Moreover, I would say that in some cases VB6 programs reveal to be less problematic than .NET applications, in that a lot of users still don't have the Framework installed on their machines. You know, distributing a 24MB runtime is not always easy and, if you program for the general public, VB6 may be a better choice than VB.NET.
    Last edited by esposito; May 1st, 2006 at 02:24 PM.

Frenzied Member

Every few years microsoft comes with new things and it cost alot of money to upgrade ,train people and stuff. If u can do what u want to do u do not need to upgrade. Microsoft just wants to make more money by upgrading things and put fancy stufff.

Quote Originally Posted by tony007
    Every few years microsoft comes with new things and it cost alot of money to upgrade ,train people and stuff. If u can do what u want to do u do not need to upgrade. Microsoft just wants to make more money by upgrading things and put fancy stufff.
    You are perfectly right. It could be a problem, though, if MS broke compatibility with 32-bit software after Windows Vista to force everybody to upgrade to .NET. This is the only reason I can see to abandon VB6 and switch to VB.NET.

Banned

IMO - .Net is great for experienced developers. The entire point and concept was to bring the whole development community onto a shared framework. In turn, it increases developer turn out, opens new doors for IT departments to collaborate and gives the MS vision a true OOP perspective.

That being said, .Net should not be the only language you know. It was designed to be as simple or as complex as your ability can handle. Building that ability in .Net can produce many false-positives. It's easy to get a program running in .Net. If you're one of those types of people who think "if it works, it's good;" for the love of binary, do not start with .Net. On the other hand, if you're one of those people who wonder "what's going on here? How did that work?" You will have a better time learning programming with .Net.

@sevenhalo - very well said!

*** Read the sticky in the DB forum about how to get your question answered quickly!! ***

Please remember to rate posts! Rate any post you find helpful - even in old threads! Use the link to the left - "Rate this Post".

Some Informative Links:
    [ SQL Rules to Live By ] [ Reserved SQL keywords ] [ When to use INDEX HINTS! ] [ Passing Multi-item Parameters to STORED PROCEDURES ]
    [ Solution to non-domain Windows Authentication ] [ Crazy things we do to shrink log files ] [ SQL 2005 Features ] [ Loading Pictures from DB ]

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by sevenhalo
    IMO - If you're one of those types of people who think "if it works, it's good;" for the love of binary, do not start with .Net. On the other hand, if you're one of those people who wonder "what's going on here? How did that work?" You will have a better time learning programming with .Net.
    I have played around with .NET for the sake of learning and found it quite easy to use.

The real problem, however, arises when you have to distribute your applications.

I have already mentioned the fact that there are still too many people out there who don't have the .NET Framework installed on their machines and, besides, you need to protect your code resorting to third-party obfuscators, otherwise cracking your software would be a piece of cake.

So, it's not a question of understanding what is going on. It's just business. If you distribute shareware programs, .NET is not the best and most convenient tool to use.

Banned

Esposito - I (and many others) have argued those two points with you in 3 or 4 other threads. Let's try and keep one of these from getting locked.

Bammoeller - If you want to read through those threads (they do have alot of good points), check them out:

These are the two "big ones:"
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=365884
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=381557
    Last edited by sevenhalo; May 1st, 2006 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenhalo
    Esposito - I (and many others) have argued those two points with you in 3 or 4 other threads. Let's try and keep one of these from getting locked.

Bammoeller - If you want to read through those threads (they do ahve alot of good points), I'll link them in a second.
    I was about to say the same thing. You've anticipated me.

PowerPoster

I read somewhere Arrays werent supported in .Net .. is this true??

I did try to convert something to .net and got 100+ errors so i was like forget that for now .. i just need to make some $$ right now LOL

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by rory
    I read somewhere Arrays werent supported in .Net .. is this true??
    Er, no.

You may be thinking of control arrays, in which case yes. But they are fairly pointless in .NET as it is very easy to do it yourself if you really need to, and usually there is a better way. Same goes for VB6, for that matter.

I did try to convert something to .net and got 100+ errors so i was like forget that for now .. i just need to make some $$ right now LOL
    IMO converting is a waste of time. Learning the framework is a valuable investment and rewriting from scratch in .NET will be more productive than trying to fix the dodgy code the converter spits out.

PowerPoster

Thanks .. for example .. in a video surveillance app i have 1 ActiveX control which is remote video window which using commands i connect to and load video.. now the program can load up to 30 ..1 for each camera or each site . if i place all 30 on the form it is really slow, so depending on the amount of cameras and sites I load them as an array from the database info .. so if it is only 3 sites it only loads 3 of them .. if it is 25 it loads 25 of them ..

eg.

Public LiveX(30) As Integer ...

Dim i As Integer
    For i = 1 To intChCnt
    If LiveX_Loaded(i) = False Then
    Load frmMain.LiveX(i)
    LiveX(i).Visible = True
    LiveX_Loaded(i) = True
    End If
    Next i

Excuse the old code also .. :-)
    My main default ActiveX has the index of 0 ..

Im taking that this is one of the things not supported in .Net?

Basically If I have to create a seperate Control for each one, i definately dont want to upgrade my video apps .. as basically every DVR i work with is ab ActiveX and would be similar .. maybe keep the video apps to VB6 and just take a look at .Net for other stuff ?

Question is .. whats the main differences between the 2 . i like VB6 as it is right now .. Ive been doing ASP with VBscript since it came out so im not switcing there (all in class files now) .. but if for actual programs it is worth it, then maybe i should take a look ..?

tanks ..
    Rory
    Last edited by rory; May 16th, 2006 at 05:35 AM.

but if for actual programs it is worth it, then maybe i should take a look ..?
    It certainly won't do any harm to take a look and play around with .NET...once you feel you have a handle on what .NET can do for you, then you can make your own determination. But, just because VB6 is currently working for you is no reason NOT to check out .NET.

well... come to the dark side... come to .net...

serious... find a good book of OOP and chose the language that you feel more comfortable... if you already know vb6, it will be easy to migrate to VB.Net...

if you know good OOP you can develop in any language...its just a matter of syntax... and that you can learn in a few weeks...

if you choose the dark side, sorry, .Net, you can download the express edition... its free... and its perfect for students, newbies and hobbiest...

regards...
    Help keep this forum clean: Remember to mark your thread as resolved · Search before you post · Remember to rate posts that help

VS2010: Visual Studio 2010 Keybinding Posters
    · Service Pack 1
    Tools: GhostDoc - automatically generates XML documentation comments
    · NuGet package Manager · PowerCommands IDE extensions
    Source Control: ankhsvn - integration for SVN
    · Windows Shell Extension for Subversion

Development Laptop: Intel Core i5 430M 2.26 GHz @ 2.53 GHz
    · 4096 MB, DDR3 PC3-8500F (533 MHz), Kingston · ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 · 15.6 @ 16:9, 1366x768 pixel, HD LED LCD

I follow:
    JoelOnSoftware - A weblog by Joel Spolsky, a programmer working in New York City, about software and software companies
    ScottGu's Blog - Scott Guthrie works for Microsoft as the Product Manager of the .NET Framework
    Portugal-a-Programar - Portuguese Developers Community
    .NET Rocks! - is a weekly Internet audio talk show for .NET Developers.

Programming Languages:
    C#
    · VB.NET · JAVA · PHP · Javascript
    Other:
    XML
    · HTML · CSS · JQuery · SQL

*** Proudly Portuguese ***

PowerPoster

:-)

Actually i have a brand new unused PC sitting on top of this counter that i have not used yet .., and it has the full version of Visual Studio 2005 .. net etc (also got the original CDs).. just havent had the time to get into it yet ... working 22 hour days as it is .. :-(

Just trying to get a feel for what I wont be able to do in it before i dig in .. ..

As for VB6 code .. do you guys leave it as is or recode it all to .Net ..?

thanks ..
    Rory

i think i will do vb6 maintenance till i die...

...but for new applications i use .net from scratch ... converting its a waste of time and brain

regards...
    Help keep this forum clean: Remember to mark your thread as resolved · Search before you post · Remember to rate posts that help

· Service Pack 1

· 4096 MB, DDR3 PC3-8500F (533 MHz), Kingston · ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 · 15.6 @ 16:9, 1366x768 pixel, HD LED LCD

I follow:
    JoelOnSoftware - A weblog by Joel Spolsky, a programmer working in New York City, about software and software companies
    ScottGu's Blog - Scott Guthrie works for Microsoft as the Product Manager of the .NET Framework

Programming Languages:
    C#
    Other:
    XML

Dont forget that VB9 will be coming out within a year from now so if you dont want to really fall behind you should at least start learning .NET.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

To backup what zuperman said...

You need a reason to convert an app from VB6 into one of the .Net versions.

Either marketing or support or maintenance must require it.

Otherwise what is the return on investment?

We have one major app in VB6 right now and are developing our new major app in .Net.

Our customers expect the VB6 product to be enhanced - and it still regularly is - what we re-develop that with in the future is yet to be determined...

Some Informative Links:

MS MVP 2006, 2007, 2008

Dont forget that VB9 will be coming out within a year from now so if you dont want to really fall behind you should at least start learning .NET.
    I thought VB 2005 is VB9? ???
    On Error GoTo Hell

Hell:
    Kill Me

Food For Thought:

Its VB 8

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

VB 2005 is "vb8"... look at the solution icon of Visual Basic 2005:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

· Service Pack 1

I follow:

Programming Languages:
    C#
    Other:
    XML

Quote Originally Posted by szlamany
    Our customers expect the VB6 product to be enhanced - and it still regularly is - what we re-develop that with in the future is yet to be determined...
    Same here. In fact, we already have .NET versions of all of our products, but thus far, there hasn't been much customer interest in switching. Even our new customers request the VB6 versions, although, unlike the last time I mentioned this, we are getting some, albeit a few, requests to at least take a look at the .NET demo of our products. That is a change. I suspect, that slowly, our customer base will be more interested in the .NET version.

I heard through the company grapevine that our .NET versions, which were all written in 2002, are being converted to 2005.

However, the money makers for us remains the VB6 versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    In fact, we already have .NET versions of all of our products, but thus far, there hasn't been much customer interest in switching.
    perhaps, a matter of price...

· Service Pack 1

I follow:

Programming Languages:
    C#
    Other:
    XML

Usually it because the customer doesnt understand the difference since its mostly behind the scenes and they cat see it.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast