Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bar Code Problem

Bar Code Problem

How can I generate bar code from VB 6.0 and store that code to database

PowerPoster

Re: Bar Code Problem

Quote Originally Posted by omarfaruque
    How can I generate bar code from VB 6.0 and store that code to database
    That depends on exactly what you mean by "bar code". Do you want to store the actual picture? Or do you want to store the data the picture represents?

If you want to store the picture, you're going to have to print it to a file or a picture control of some sort, then store that picture as a BLOB in the data base (look at post #3 in this thread for some code for that). If you want to store the data, it's just a string, so you can store it in any string type field.
    Last edited by Al42; Apr 25th, 2006 at 10:25 AM.

hmm..

well.. bar codes use numbers.. that part u could do (if u know the numbering structure for bar codes i have no clue there!!)

as far as te actual Bars... u could generate the lines in a picturebox but again.. the thickness ec for each line is a mystery to me.

Corel has a barcode wizard and corel uses VBA.. that might be an avenue to look into.
    JPnyc rocks!! (Just ask him!)
    If u have your answer please go to the thread tools and click "Mark Thread Resolved"

PowerPoster

Static,

There are different algorithms for different bar codes, as far as start, end and checksum characters.

As far as generating the picture, there are bar code fonts - just print the correct characters in that font and you're printing a scannable bar code.

To create your own barcodes check this:
    http://www.barcode-1.com/pub/russadam/spec.html

PowerPoster

Code 128 is the most popular bar code
    This link has helped write code that prints bar codes:
    http://www.barcodeman.com/info/c128.php3

Your easiest way is to use a barcode font. Then set a textbox or labels font property to this barcode font. Then all you have to do is set the data and it wil appear on your form ready for printing.

VB Code:
    1. Text1.Font = "Barcode39"
    2. Text1.Text = "*Robdog888*"
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

BarCode 39 or Barcode 3 of 9 is more popular CVMichael.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

PowerPoster

I work for a shipping company, ALL barcodes are Code 128 here....
    Barcode 3 of 9, is too big, and you can't put too much information in it.

Barcode 3 of 9 is for amateurs

I am getting ready to start a project for Boeing Aircraft and their requirement is using BarCode 39 for their shipping labels.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    I am getting ready to start a project for Boeing Aircraft and their requirement is using BarCode 39 for their shipping labels.
    hehe

Well, since Boeing is an aircraft company, no wonder they don't know much about shipping...
    I wonder how did they get to the conclusion that Code39 is the best barcode for their shipping ?

Here we work with a few shipping curriers, one is them is Canada Post, wich is the largest shipping company in Canada, (the other ones I don't want to mention), but all of them (that I know) use Code128

Well I dont want to try to figure out how they came up with it but they gave me a huge pdf file on the specs for their requirements. Its like specs for a NASA project.

Perhaps they have been using 3of9 for some years now and just want to remain constant.

Bar codes are easy and a bit of fun too.

In order to store the barcode to a db you would just store the code that represents the barcode like "*blah*" and then when you display it just set the font of the control that is displaying it to the barcode 3of9 or such.

Here is a tutorial on databases - http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=337051

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

CVMichael, I just came across this in the specifications manual
    Code 128 is
    recommended to be used when real–estate on the label, document, or item does not
    allow enough space for a Code 3 of 9 Bar Code.
    Most Bar Code Fonts are not free but are available for a small fee of usually less then $100 or so.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

im interested in using barcode in vb. can any of you please give some example code for it?

I have 3 textboxes, is the carriage return automatic? What if the code length are not the same?
    To give is always to be NOBLE...
    To received is always to be BLESSED....
    Each day strive to be NOBLE
    Each day strive to be BLESSED

If this post has helped you. Please take time to rate it.

>=|+|=< Simply Me >=|+|=<

----------------------------------------
    Connection Strings | Number Only in Textbox | Splash Screen with Progress Bar | Printing to 1/2 of perforated bond paper |
    Freeze 2005 DataGridView Column

Check the link in post #6 and #7 for detailed information. If you purchase a barcode font then its very easy.

I posted the code for a font type barcode in post #8

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

i think you misunderstood me RobDog888. I will be buying a barcode reader (handheld). I want my apps to be able to accept code from barcode and keyboard. My question is, is there a need for special vbcode to implement barcoding in vb project?

Connection Strings | Number Only in Textbox | Splash Screen with Progress Bar | Printing to 1/2 of perforated bond paper |

No, there isnt. When you hook up your scanner to the keyboard, vb will handle the barcode reading as if its being typed from the keyboard. Nothing special or fancy to do. Scan a barcode into a textbox. It will enter in as text that you can write to a db just like it was no big deal.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

what if for some reason the reader is not working, can i still use the keyboard to enter a code or the keyboard is disabled?

Usually the reader may come with an adapter cable where you can connect both your keyboard and scanner to a single ps/2 keyboard port. Its like a 'Y' adapter 2 into 1. If not then I'm sure you can find one at a computer hardware cable site.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

oh i see. Thanks RobDog888. You sure gave me a point to start on! Thanks Again!!!

Commercial Products usually uses 13 digits barcode. I have two textboxes, When i scan the code, how will i let the cursor go to the next textbox?
    There are other products out there that uses less than 13 digits. I set maxlength of the textbox=13, how will you let vb go to the next textbox if maxlength is not equal to 13?

I manage to let the cursor jump to the next textbox if the maxlength =13 using this code:
    VB Code:
    1. If Len(txtCode) = txtCode.MaxLength Then
    2.     txtDesc.SetFocus
    3.   End If

Now, What code is to be added so that when the scanned digits is less than 13?

Its better to detect the start and stop characters to trigger setting the focus to another textbox. Use Instr, InstrRev, or Mid$. All of which can do the detection.

The character is usually the asterisk "*"

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

can you spare me some code please?

Heres some c0d
    VB Code:
    1. Private Sub Text1_Change()
    2.     If Instr(1, Text1.Text, "*") = Len(Text1.Text) Then
    3.         Text2.SetFocus
    4.     End If
    5. End Sub

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

i changed my code with your code. The cursor does not jump to the next textbox.
    VB Code:
    1. Private Sub txtCode_Change()
    2. '------My old code-----------------------
    3. '  If Len(txtCode) = txtCode.MaxLength Then
    4. '    txtDesc.SetFocus
    5. '  End If
    6. '----------------------------------------------
    7.   If InStr(1, txtCode.Text, "*") = Len(txtCode.Text) Then
    8.     txtDesc.SetFocus
    9.   End If
    10. End Sub

Change it to this...
    VB Code:
    1. If InStr(2, txtCode.Text, "*") = Len(txtCode.Text) Then
    When starting at position 1 it was picking up the start char instead so that position will never = the last char.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Still not working

how about programming the barcode scanner and setting its SUFFIX to {TAB} or {RETURN} instead? if u use {TAB}, just set then the TabIndex of the textboxes, if {RETURN}, do it in the KeyPress event of the txtCode.
    On Error GoTo Hell

Hell:
    Kill Me

Food For Thought:

- Do not judge a book... if you're not a judge!

You are using a start/stop char?

Test to see how your scanner is setup. Add a multiline textbox to the form temporarily. When you have focus to it, scan a barcode and then another. Do they go on separate lines or any special chars o r just the numbers?

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

yes, you dont need to determine the Number of characters in a barcode if the SUFFIX is set in your barcode scanner.
    On Error GoTo Hell

Hell:
    Kill Me

Food For Thought:

- Do not judge a book... if you're not a judge!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888
    You are using a start/stop char?

Test to see how your scanner is setup. Add a multiline textbox to the form temporarily. When you have focus to it, scan a barcode and then another. Do they go on separate lines or any special chars o r just the numbers?
    Im a newbie when it comes to barcode. I dont even know how to program it. I did not do anything with my barcode reader, i can scan a barcode successfully but the focus will not jump to another textbox. Im not aware of start/stop char.

[qoute]Add a multiline textbox to the form temporarily. When you have focus to it, scan a barcode and then another. Do they go on separate lines or any special chars o r just the numbers?[/qoute]

i tried adding multiline textbox. When i scanned a barcode, number appears and the cursor is located below the number. When i scanned another barcode the number appears and the cursor is again below the number. There are no special chars at all just numbers appeared in the textbox

Fanatic Member

I wrote this barcode program...

My program

It was based on code samples from around the net. I think someone had written something in Access that had helped quite a bit.

I have seen samples on the site below for code 39 and 128..

See this site...

That should get you going..

Quote Originally Posted by birthjay
    I wrote this barcode program...

My program

It was based on code samples from around the net. I think someone had written something in Access that had helped quite a bit.

I have seen samples on the site below for code 39 and 128..

See this site...

That should get you going..
    What i need is to let the cursor jump to the next textbox after i scan a barcode. What i am scanning right now has 13 digits. I can let the cursor jump to the next textbox if i use the code below and setting the maxlength of the textbox to 13.
    VB Code:
    1. If Len(txtCode) = txtCode.MaxLength Then
    2.     txtDesc.SetFocus
    3.   End If

but that is not quite good enough because there are barcodes which contains less than 13 digits.

PowerPoster

Just look for the new line character (ASCII 13)
    That's how I did it with the applications I made where you need to scan barcodes...

If the scanner does not return the new line character, there is a barcode that you have to scan to the scanner, that tell the scanner to output the new line character when it's done reading.
    You can find a PDF on the manufacturer's web-site, you just have to print that PDF, and scan that barcode.

Fanatic Member

Heck...you can set the scanner to do that. Check your scanner documentation. Basically, after a scan you can set a tab character.

Your scanner is currently set to append the <ENTER> key after the scan. So like posted, just look for the chr(13) and when found, setfocus to the next textbox or change your scanner settings to the tab also like suggested. Depends on if your customers will be able to change the setting s on the scanner too.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast