Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux sucks...

Linux sucks...

Hi,

I think Linux is a highly over- rated system, just becaue its free people think its a big deal , it actually sucks... in fact the whole concept of open source sucks...

bye all

type Woss is new Grumpy; wossname's Avatar

Re: Linux sucks...

You're highly articulate post combined with your well-established reputation and post count make your comments both valid and worthwhile.
    I don't live here any more.

You have to admit though, its open source, hence people rate it higher than it should be. Its nowhere nearly as good as Windows XP professional for example. People are Anti MS for whatever reason, hence, windows is bad .. IE is bad .. bad bad bad ... whining all the time.

Conclusion.... every thing sucks.

Yup ,but only after you joined.....

The shame, namrekka - Getting outworded by a newbie

You are all doomed!!!

Banned

You're right, open source is a horrible idea. Why let other people in on how things work? I mean, the industry will deffinitely benefit much more when everyone continuosly reinvents the wheel. There is no gain whatsoever by having other people learn from your code. All this time that we've been helping people with their programs, we really should have been telling them to just figure it out for yourself.

What were we thinking?

I can't find a better example of "Validating an Argument with a totally Invalid Argument" ....

Banned

Everyone stop helpping people, IMMEDIATELY. You are bringing an end to all things that are acceptible in arunb's eyes. Don't you understand!? If we don't keep our knowledge to ourselves and hide everything, we could actually bring the industry down to the level of "sucking." A fate worse then "not sucking."

Banned

My point is, architects learn alot by studying some of our most famous buildings. They get ideas and learn about how things were done in large scale projects like that. Why shouldn't the computer industry do the same with our "most famous programs?"

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

Quote Originally Posted by arunb
    Hi,

I think Linux is a highly over- rated system, just becaue its free people think its a big deal , it actually sucks... in fact the whole concept of open source sucks...

bye all
    Poor diddums.

Hi,

bye all
    Have you tried Linux?

Hi,

bye all
    You sound pretty agged off with Linux. But I still love you
    PHP || MySql || Apache || Get Firefox || OpenOffice.org || Click || Slap ILMV || 1337 c0d || GotoMyPc For FREE! Part 1, Part 2

| PHP Session --> Database Handler * Custom Error Handler * Installing PHP * HTML Form Handler * PHP 5 OOP * Using XML * Ajax * Xslt | VB6 Winsock - HTTP POST / GET * Winsock - HTTP File Upload

Latest quote: crptcblade - VB6 executables can't be decompiled, only disassembled. And the disassembled code is even less useful than I am.

Random VisualAd: Blog - Latest Post: When the Internet becomes Electricity!!

Spread happiness and joy. Rate good posts.

Quote Originally Posted by big blue alien
    Hi,

bye all
    Have you tried Linux?
    Can't you tell?

Quote Originally Posted by sevenhalo
    My point is, architects learn alot by studying some of our most famous buildings. They get ideas and learn about how things were done in large scale projects like that. Why shouldn't the computer industry do the same with our "most famous programs?"
    And my point is, you cannot make everything open source. Where does the revenue come from in software development if that happens??

Builders do not neccesarily get the schematics and blueprints of a building built by someone else ... they can get some information but not all. Similarly, you cannot expect MS to give away all their intellectual property, for which they spent billions.

As for Linux being better than windows, I would still like to get one legitimate reason of why it is better then windows.

Quote Originally Posted by NoteMe
    A link posted on a linux website ...

most people who slag off Linux have never used it

As for Linux being better than windows, I would still like to get one legitimate reason of why it is better then windows.
    its got the coolest penguin in the world

Quote Originally Posted by chocoloco
    A link posted on a linux website ...

I take it you did not read it since you obviously didn't understand it...

its got the coolest penguin in the world
    HA HA

Banned

Where does the revenue come from in software development if that happens??
    By creating job specific programs. Instead of making "magic bullet" solutions for everything under the sun, individual companies get programs developed to their needs. If we empowered wc3 to specify the necessary standards (taking opinions and ideas in an open forum), we wouldn't need alot of these large apps competing. Anymore, nothing new is coming out. Everything has the "me too" objective. The things that are the catalyzing this "me too" attitude are alot of the open source projects (Fx, Asterisk, Linux).

Open source teams create it, MS ports it and makes it digestible to the general public. That is all they're doing nowadays. The community has given alot to microsoft, they really should return the favor and open up some of their apps. Eventually, MS will run out. Industries and technology will be so diverse between computers that everything can't be windows. Software demands are changing. ALOT of companies are even building their own languages and frameworks to build programs in (I've had to learn a couple).

Eventually each company will have its own framework of what they need and follow the wc3 "vision" I mentioned earlier. By that time, revenue from software development won't be about buying the programs (or the cookie cutter framework). It will be about leasing developer's time.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenhalo
    By creating job specific programs. Instead of making "magic bullet" solutions for everything under the sun, individual companies get programs developed to their needs. If we empowered wc3 to specify the necessary standards (taking opinions and ideas in an open forum), we wouldn't need alot of these large apps competing. Anymore, nothing new is coming out. Everything has the "me too" objective. The things that are the catalyzing this "me too" attitude are alot of the open source projects (Fx, Asterisk, Linux).

Open source teams create it, MS ports it and makes it digestible to the general public. That is all they're doing nowadays. The community has given alot to microsoft, they really should return the favor and open up some of their apps. Eventually, MS will run out. Industries and technology will be so diverse between computers that everything can't be windows. Software demands are changing. ALOT of companies are even building their own languages and frameworks to build programs in (I've had to learn a couple).

Eventually each company will have its own framework of what they need and follow the wc3 "vision" I mentioned earlier. By that time, revenue from software development won't be about buying the programs (or the cookie cutter framework). It will be about leasing developer's time.
    Also please realise that Open Source does not need to be Freeware. Thats two completely different things. All Open Source says it that you are allowed to have a look at the Source.
    Keep Smiling - even if its hard
    Frankie Says Relax, wossname Says Yeah!
    wossname:--Currently I'm wearing a gimp suit and a parachute.
    C# - Base64 Blog

Also please realise that Open Source does not need to be Freeware. Thats two completely different things. All Open Source says it that you are allowed to have a look at the Source.
    I don't want people peeking into my source code

What are you afraid of?
    C# - Base64 Blog

Well for goodness sake don't release an open source product then!

so is this linux bashing about the fact that you don't want other to see your souce, or have you also tried to install something on linux and got lost in the millions of google results in search for help?

Actually its more than that, linux does'nt have a RAD like Visual Basic, the only thing I keep hearing is that linux is open source....its good for health, and can keep Microsoft in check.

I don't approve of Microsoft either but between the 'devils' Microsoft is better...

Bye All

So...? Open source is the future I have sen many great closed source projects die when the authors had finished, if they had been released as open source I''d bet they would still be here today.

Cheers,

Ryan Jones
    My Blog.

Ryan Jones.

VB can be run on linux, well VB.NET via mono-project anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by john tindell
    VB can be run on linux, well VB.NET via mono-project anyway.
    queue woss

most people who slag off Linux have never used it
    I agree. Although for a couple of weeks after I started on Linux I continued to shout loud profanities at it. Now though I have got engaged to Fedora Core 4 and we will be having kids soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by john tindell
    queue woss
    Where do I start? Firstly Linux has quite a lot of RAD languages if you bother to look.

Secondly, as has already been pointed out by my esteemed and learned colleagues, Mono lets you run any .NET (1.1 plus most of 2.0) binary.

I'm building cross-platform tools these days, its just too cool for words.

Found this in my Wallpapers Folder! I knew I had it somewhere.
    It suits this thread perfect!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    C# - Base64 Blog

Hyperactive Member francisstokes's Avatar

Lol thats too funny!

About the whole open-source thing, while I agree with chocoloco, i often, during beta testing, release the source code with the beta, so that any errors i can't fix, can be fixed by more experienced programmers, but when i come to the final version, i make it closed-source, so i retain the cash, but have a degree of open source. Either that or i just release the cool modules
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

As the Number of Lines of code increases, the number of bugs generated by fixing a bug increases exponentially.

Hyperactive Member Arrow_Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wossname
    I agree. Although for a couple of weeks after I started on Linux I continued to shout loud profanities at it. Now though I have got engaged to Fedora Core 4 and we will be having kids soon too.
    I would like to place focus on what wossy has said here. This is exactly what prevents linux from being a major hit. Even for the more tech saavy of us, at first uses, linux is just terrible. Its confusing, software doesn't work, hardware doesn't work, compiling doesn't work, takes tons of research to make something work, and so on. If you take the time to do that research, figure stuff out, and learn stuff, then you'll find yourself pleased with linux. If there was some sort of reprisitory that was made well known and basically got you up to speed with the basics and stuff it would really help those who are just beginning linux. This thing could have stuff like a rundown of essential commands, networking stuff, tips for getting hardware to work, some descriptions of the different GUIs, things like getting media files to play, and the most needed of all: a listing of distributions and a description of each.
    My monkey wearing the fedora points and laughs at you.

Therein lie the inherent problems with a massively distributed open source project which lacks a governing body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast