Thread: [Resolved with inet control]internetreadfile

Addicted Member

[Resolved with inet control]internetreadfile

Hello,
    I am using internetreadfile api to download the code of a webpage. I have set the buffer size to 1024. I am writing the each downloaded line to a textfile. Problem is the result is not the same for all executions of the program. Some times it is working fine. Sometimes, some additional characters are being added. Some times a part of the line is being printed to the file more than once. Is this expected or am I doing something wrong here?
    Thank you.
    Last edited by srisa; May 25th, 2006 at 10:00 AM. Reason: marking the thread resolved

Re: internetreadfile

Is there a reason why you aren't using the Inet Control? It's a lot more reliable.
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

As the Number of Lines of code increases, the number of bugs generated by fixing a bug increases exponentially.

Fanatic Member

Maybe srisa doesn't want to use a control.
    I personally like the Inet control although it isn't always reliable
    If I helped you out, please consider adding to my reputation!

-- "The faulty interface lies between the chair and the keyboard" --

VB6 Programs By Me:
    ** Dictionary, Thesaurus & Rhyme-Generator In One ** WMP Recent Files List Editor ** Pretty Impressive Clock ** Extract Firefox History **

Addicted Member

If I am designing the application for windows : If windows is the OS being used , we can expect Internet Explorer to be used. When IE is used wininet.dll will be present on the user's system. If the application is downloaded from net, using api's will reduce the size of the application.
    Sounds pretty hi-fi.
    Well, real answer is I am learning VB. As part of it I am trying to use api's. Internetreadfile makes the entry here.

Fanatic Member

That's a good enough reason.
    Unfortunately I have no experience with this API so I can't help, sorry.

VB6 Programs By Me:
    ** Dictionary, Thesaurus & Rhyme-Generator In One ** WMP Recent Files List Editor ** Pretty Impressive Clock ** Extract Firefox History **

The function below should download the entire file to a file of your choice, not matter what the buffer size you choose.

VB Code:
    1. Option Explicit
    2. Const INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_DIRECT = 1
    3. Const INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_PROXY = 3
    4. Const INTERNET_FLAG_RELOAD = &H80000000
    6. Private Declare Function InternetOpen Lib "wininet" Alias "InternetOpenA" (ByVal sAgent As String, ByVal lAccessType As Long, ByVal sProxyName As String, ByVal sProxyBypass As String, ByVal lFlags As Long) As Long
    7. Private Declare Function InternetCloseHandle Lib "wininet" (ByVal hInet As Long) As Integer
    8. Private Declare Function InternetReadFile Lib "wininet" (ByVal hFile As Long, ByVal sBuffer As String, ByVal lNumBytesToRead As Long, lNumberOfBytesRead As Long) As Integer
    9. Private Declare Function InternetOpenUrl Lib "wininet" Alias "InternetOpenUrlA" (ByVal hInternetSession As Long, ByVal lpszUrl As String, ByVal lpszHeaders As String, ByVal dwHeadersLength As Long, ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal dwContext As Long) As Long
    10. Private Sub GetFile(sourcefile As String, destfile As String, buffersize As Long)
    13.     Dim hOpen As Long, hFile As Long, sBuffer As String, Ret As Long, oldbuffer As String
    14.     'Create a buffer for the file we're going to download
    15.     sBuffer = Space(buffersize)
    16.     'Create an internet connection
    17.     hOpen = InternetOpen(App.EXEName, INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_DIRECT, vbNullString, vbNullString, 0)
    18.     'Open the url
    19.     hFile = InternetOpenUrl(hOpen, sourcefile, vbNullString, ByVal 0&, INTERNET_FLAG_RELOAD, ByVal 0&)
    20.     Open destfile For Output As #1
    22.     Do
    23.     oldbuffer = sBuffer
    24.     InternetReadFile hFile, sBuffer, buffersize, Ret
    25.     If sBuffer = oldbuffer Then GoTo cleanup
    26.     Print #1, sBuffer
    28.     Loop
    30. cleanup:
    31.     InternetCloseHandle hFile
    32.     InternetCloseHandle hOpen
    33.     Close
    34. End Sub

Hope that works, ask if you have any queries
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

As the Number of Lines of code increases, the number of bugs generated by fixing a bug increases exponentially.

Addicted Member

Thank you.The function as such is working fine. But , how do I check for errors during download like connection timeout, network disconnection or such things. During one of the trial runs, session got timed out, result being incomplete file download.

Erm...You could use the checkinternetconnection function. I'll check when i get back home, and post the fix.
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

VB Code:
    1. Option Explicit
    5. Private Const FLAG_ICC_FORCE_CONNECTION = &H1
    6. Private Declare Function InternetCheckConnection Lib "wininet.dll" Alias "InternetCheckConnectionA" (ByVal lpszUrl As String, ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal dwReserved As Long) As Long
    8. Private Declare Function InternetOpen Lib "wininet" Alias "InternetOpenA" (ByVal sAgent As String, ByVal lAccessType As Long, ByVal sProxyName As String, ByVal sProxyBypass As String, ByVal lFlags As Long) As Long
    9. Private Declare Function InternetCloseHandle Lib "wininet" (ByVal hInet As Long) As Integer
    10. Private Declare Function InternetReadFile Lib "wininet" (ByVal hFile As Long, ByVal sBuffer As String, ByVal lNumBytesToRead As Long, lNumberOfBytesRead As Long) As Integer
    11. Private Declare Function InternetOpenUrl Lib "wininet" Alias "InternetOpenUrlA" (ByVal hInternetSession As Long, ByVal lpszUrl As String, ByVal lpszHeaders As String, ByVal dwHeadersLength As Long, ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal dwContext As Long) As Long
    12. Private Sub GetFile(sourcefile As String, destfile As String, buffersize As Long)
    15.     Dim hOpen As Long, hFile As Long, sBuffer As String, Ret As Long, oldbuffer As String
    16.     'Create a buffer for the file we're going to download
    17.     sBuffer = Space(buffersize)
    18.     'Create an internet connection
    19.     hOpen = InternetOpen(App.EXEName, INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_DIRECT, vbNullString, vbNullString, 0)
    20.     'Open the url
    21.     hFile = InternetOpenUrl(hOpen, sourcefile, vbNullString, ByVal 0&, INTERNET_FLAG_RELOAD, ByVal 0&)
    22.     Open destfile For Output As #1
    24.     Do
    25.          If InternetCheckConnection(sourcefile, FLAG_ICC_FORCE_CONNECTION, 0) = False Then
    26.                Do Until InternetCheckConnection(sourcefile, FLAG_ICC_FORCE_CONNECTION, 0) = True
    27.                Loop
    28.          End If
    29.     oldbuffer = sBuffer
    30.     InternetReadFile hFile, sBuffer, buffersize, Ret
    31.     If sBuffer = oldbuffer Then GoTo cleanup
    32.     Print #1, sBuffer
    34.     Loop
    36. cleanup:
    37.     InternetCloseHandle hFile
    38.     InternetCloseHandle hOpen
    39.     Close
    40. End Sub

Right then, that should, if it can't connect to the desired page, for whatever reason, it will hang until it can. Then it will continue download.

Hope thats what you're looking for.
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

Fanatic Member

You should use DoEvents within it and add a timeout incase the user isn't connected to the net

VB6 Programs By Me:

First off, it's only rough code _

Secondly, he's right, so here you go -

VB Code:
    1. Option Explicit
    5. Private Const FLAG_ICC_FORCE_CONNECTION = &H1
    6. Private Declare Function InternetCheckConnection Lib "wininet.dll" Alias "InternetCheckConnectionA" (ByVal lpszUrl As String, ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal dwReserved As Long) As Long
    8. Private Declare Function InternetOpen Lib "wininet" Alias "InternetOpenA" (ByVal sAgent As String, ByVal lAccessType As Long, ByVal sProxyName As String, ByVal sProxyBypass As String, ByVal lFlags As Long) As Long
    9. Private Declare Function InternetCloseHandle Lib "wininet" (ByVal hInet As Long) As Integer
    10. Private Declare Function InternetReadFile Lib "wininet" (ByVal hFile As Long, ByVal sBuffer As String, ByVal lNumBytesToRead As Long, lNumberOfBytesRead As Long) As Integer
    11. Private Declare Function InternetOpenUrl Lib "wininet" Alias "InternetOpenUrlA" (ByVal hInternetSession As Long, ByVal lpszUrl As String, ByVal lpszHeaders As String, ByVal dwHeadersLength As Long, ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal dwContext As Long) As Long
    12. Public timeoutcount as long
    13. Private Sub GetFile(sourcefile As String, destfile As String, buffersize As Long, timeoutlevel as long)
    17.     Dim hOpen As Long, hFile As Long, sBuffer As String, Ret As Long, oldbuffer As String
    18.     'Create a buffer for the file we're going to download
    19.     sBuffer = Space(buffersize)
    20.     'Create an internet connection
    21.     hOpen = InternetOpen(App.EXEName, INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_DIRECT, vbNullString, vbNullString, 0)
    22.     'Open the url
    23.     hFile = InternetOpenUrl(hOpen, sourcefile, vbNullString, ByVal 0&, INTERNET_FLAG_RELOAD, ByVal 0&)
    24.     Open destfile For Output As #1
    26.     Do
    27.          If InternetCheckConnection(sourcefile, FLAG_ICC_FORCE_CONNECTION, 0) = False Then
    29. timeoutcount = 0
    30. timeouttimer.enabled = True
    31. timeouttimer.interval = 100
    33.                Do Until InternetCheckConnection(sourcefile, FLAG_ICC_FORCE_CONNECTION, 0) = True
    34.                Doevents
    35. If timeoutcount = timeoutlevel then
    36.         msgbox("Connection Timed Out")
    37.         timeouttimer.enabled = False
    38.         Exit Sub
    39. End If
    40.                Loop
    41. timeouttimer.enabled = False
    42.          End If
    43.     oldbuffer = sBuffer
    44.     InternetReadFile hFile, sBuffer, buffersize, Ret
    45.     If sBuffer = oldbuffer Then GoTo cleanup
    46.     Print #1, sBuffer
    48.     Loop
    50. cleanup:
    51.     InternetCloseHandle hFile
    52.     InternetCloseHandle hOpen
    53.     Close
    54. End Sub
    56. Sub timeouttimer_Timer()
    58.       timeoutcount = timeoutcount + 1
    60. End sub

That should, if it has to wait a set length of time for a connection, popup a timeout message and exit sub. You have to make a timer and call it timeouttimer, though.
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

Fanatic Member

Looks good [for rough code]

VB6 Programs By Me:

Hmm, though i still think i prefer inet, at least it always pauses your code until it's done
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

Addicted Member

Well, before using internetopen, I am checking the connection using internetcheckconnection. If connection could be established start downloading , otherwise no. To check if the entire file is downloaded, I am storing the entire file in a string variable and using the instr function to see if </html> tag is present. If it is present then entire file has been downloaded otherwise no. Is this approach ok or am I overlooking or missing something here? And , thanks for the interest. Earlier I have posted three or four times in api section but this is the first time more than one person has taken time to post.

That should do it fine.
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

Addicted Member

Time now for the specifics. I came across a project : at music.yahoo.com site , there will be list of videos alphabetically separated. What he wants is a list of all the videos listed there in this format : artistname | video name | a number. Number : when we hover the mouse over the video name, in the status bar, javascript : playvideo(23457181) , some such number will be displayed. This is the number that is needed. Artist name and videoname are hyperlinks. What I am doing is downloading the entire file and searching for these strings
    search1 = "http://music.yahoo.com/ar-"
    search2 = "javascript : playVideos"
    and trying to retrieve the values. Is this the right approach? If you want I will upload the project that I have written.
    Last edited by srisa; Apr 27th, 2006 at 10:03 AM. Reason: typo

meaning you want to retrieve whatever comes after that value, until...
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

Addicted Member

This is what the a tag for artist looks like , from this the value between the greater than and less than signs ( inner text ) is what I retrieve :
    <a href="http://music.yahoo.com/ar-298276---The-International-Noise-Conspiracy" title="The (International) Noise Conspiracy">The (International) Noise Conspiracy</a>.
    This is what it looks like for javascript thing:
    <a href="javascriptlayVideos(2153097)" class="listheader" title="Reproduction Of Death">Reproduction Of Death</a>
    The value between parantheses gives the number and the value between > and < signs ( inner text again ) gives the album title. I am instr function to retrieve the positions of the symbols and then mid$ function to get the value I want.
    Last edited by srisa; Apr 28th, 2006 at 07:22 AM. Reason: typos again

<a href="http://music.yahoo.com/ar-298276---The-International-Noise-Conspiracy" title="The (International) Noise Conspiracy">The (International) Noise Conspiracy</a>.
    This is what it looks like for javascript thing:
    <a href="javascriptlayVideos(2153097)" class="listheader" title="Reproduction Of Death">Reproduction Of Death</a>

If the name of album/song is the same for both, are the bold numbers both the same.
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

Addicted Member

The number after ar is the artist number which is being used by the programmer for easy reference to the artist. First value will be the artist name. Value between parantheses is the number, last value will be the title. This string http://music.yahoo.com/ar is common for all the hyperlinks refering to the artists. So I am searching for that text to get the artist's name. The number is parantheses might be some sort of reference to the video in the database or something like that.

Addicted Member

Sorry for going into hibernation for so long. Extracting the string part is ok. But the problem is the downloaded content is not coherent. The code is not in order and some of the lines appear two times etc. I changed the extension of the file to html and opened it in IE. The page was not similar to the page downloaded.There were some errors.
    May be using internetreadfile is complicated. Is there any way to know if the downloaded file is in order.

use the inet control.
    VB Code:
    1. filestr = Inet1.OpenURL("address")
    3. Open "C:\savefile.html" for output as #1
    4.     Print #1, filestr
    5. Close
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

Addicted Member

When I use the above only part of the file is being read.
    I did this and it is working fine.
    VB Code:
    1. Private Sub cmdget_Click()
    2. Inet1.URL = surl
    3. Inet1.Execute
    4. End Sub
    7. Private Sub Form_Load()
    8. Inet1.Protocol = icHTTP
    9. End Sub
    11. Private Sub Inet1_StateChanged(ByVal State As Integer)
    13. Static i As Integer
    14. Dim stemp As String
    15. Dim bdone As Boolean
    16. Dim fh As Long
    18. stemp = vbNullString
    19. bdone = False
    21. Select Case State
    22. Case icError
    23.   MsgBox ("An error occurred while downloading the information")
    25. Case icConnected
    26.   Form1.Caption = "Connected to the site"
    28. Case icConnecting
    29.   Form1.Caption = "connecting to the site"
    31. Case icDisconnected
    32.   MsgBox ("Disconnected from the site")
    34. Case icDisconnecting
    35.   Form1.Caption = "disconnecting from the site"
    36. Case icHostResolved
    37.   Form1.Caption = "host resolved"
    38. Case icNone
    39.   Form1.Caption = "no message"
    40. Case icRequesting
    41.   Form1.Caption = "requesting"
    42. Case icRequestSent
    43.   Form1.Caption = "request sent"
    44. Case icResolvingHost
    45.   Form1.Caption = "resolving host"
    47. Case icResponseCompleted
    48.   stemp = Inet1.GetChunk(1024, icString)
    49.   DoEvents
    51.   Do While Not bdone
    52.     sdata = sdata & stemp
    53.     stemp = Inet1.GetChunk(1024, icString)
    54.     DoEvents
    55.     If Len(stemp) = 0 Then
    56.       bdone = True
    57.     End If
    58.   Loop
    59.   MsgBox ("Received the response in full")
    60.   Text1.Text = sdata
    61.   fh = FreeFile
    62.   Open App.Path & "\musicvideo.txt" For Output As fh
    63.   Print #fh, sdata
    64.   Close #fh
    66. Case icResponseReceived
    67.   i = i + 1
    68.   Form1.Caption = "received the response " & CStr(i)
    70. Case icReceivingResponse
    71.   Form1.Caption = "Receiving response"
    72. End Select
    73. End Sub
    Would you suggest anything else for still better performance?

What do you mean still better performance? To read/download the file faster?

Has someone helped you? Then you can Rate their helpful post.

Addicted Member

Yes . Faster download and to see if any part of code is not necessary. And if you have patience to start all over again with internetreadfile: Why is it that it gets the data with duplications and other distortions?

Sorry, but I have no idea why the downloaded content wouldn't match the original source... It shouldn't since it just downloads the html code from what I understand, right? So after that, opening the downloaded data in a browser it should be identical?

As for speed, the only restriction should be your internet connection. There is no way to speed that up at all...

Addicted Member

I am attaching the zipped project. In that google.com homepage is downloaded using both the internetreadfile and inet. Result from each will be written a separate file with names usingapi.html and usinginet.html.
    When I open them in IE. Result from Inet is more coherent and nearer to the actual page when compared with api one. Size of the file is small so there aren't many discrepancies. As the filesize grows so do the distortions.
    Please have a look at the project and let me know if I am doing something wrong with internetreadile method.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Could it be that the site uses CSS and the css file isn't downloaded with the html so when you run it locally it looks wrong?

true, but that doesn't explain the discrepancies between api and inet
    KAZAR

The Law Of Programming:

Quote Originally Posted by kazar
    true, but that doesn't explain the discrepancies between api and inet
    Good point, both should have to be equally wrong I'm out of ideas

Addicted Member

Ok, we don't seem to be making much headway with this thread. I will mark it , "resolved with inet". If I come to know why internetreadfile is giving problems , I will update this thread.

Addicted Member

Re: [Resolved with inet control]internetreadfile

I have to admit that I have been lazy. Using google I found this bit of code, which looks like vbscript. I made few changes so that it confirms to vb.
    Here is the code
    VB Code:
    1. Dim hopen As Long, hfile As Long, bytesread As Long
    2. Dim buffersize As Integer
    3. Dim sbuffer As String, sresult As String
    4. Dim bOk As Boolean
    5. Static count As Integer
    7. buffersize = 1024
    8.     'Create an internet connection
    9. hopen = InternetOpen(App.EXEName, INTERNET_OPEN_TYPE_DIRECT, vbNullString, vbNullString, 0)
    10.     'Open the url
    11. hfile = InternetOpenUrl(hopen, surl, vbNullString, ByVal 0&, INTERNET_FLAG_RELOAD, ByVal 0&)
    12.     'Open destfile For Output As #1
    14. bOk = True
    15. sresult = vbNullString
    17. Do While bOk
    18.   sbuffer = Space(buffersize)
    19.   bytesread = 0
    20.   bOk = InternetReadFile(hfile, sbuffer, buffersize, bytesread)
    21.   If (bytesread > 0) Then
    22.     sresult = sresult & Left$(sbuffer, bytesread)
    23.   End If
    24.   bOk = ((bOk = True) And (bytesread > 0))
    25.   DoEvents
    26.   count = count + 1
    27.   Form1.Caption = CStr(count)
    29. Loop
    31. txtdata.Text = sresult
    33. fh = FreeFile
    34. Open App.Path & "\usingapi.html" For Output As fh
    35. Print #fh, sresult
    36. Close #fh
    38. InternetCloseHandle hfile
    39. InternetCloseHandle hopen
    40. MsgBox "Download complete", vbOKOnly + vbInformation
    And this is the link.
    I didn't find any difference in downloaded data using this code and Inet control. I would be glad if you can confirm it.