Thread: Visual Basic . Net Component in Asp.Net

Visual Basic . Net Component in Asp.Net

Hi All

I have Component desiged using Visual baisc .net (2003) called "PigaDeal" which has two calsses "RegisterUsers" and "Savedata" which i am using to save user Information like name,address,city and so on, "RegisterUser" for Implementing Business logic where as "SavaData" is to Save Data in the Sql server.

When im using these components with windows form for the testing it works perfectly but when i am using these component in the ASP. Net its giving me the following error. I have imported the component by writing the following line and even i have build the component with the rootnamespace "pigadeal"

<%@ import namespace="PigaDeal" %>

Compiler Error Message: BC30002: Type 'RegisterUser' is not defined.

Source Error:

Line 10: dim myBizObject as new RegisterUser
    Line 11: myBizObject.Title=lstTitle.text
    Line 12: myBizObject.FirstName=txtFirstName.text

What mistake im doing ?

Thanks
    Ajay

Re: Visual Basic . Net Component in Asp.Net

Have you added a reference to the library that contains your component?

Hi

How to do that? Sorry if im asking silly question

Thanks

Shared Member

Once you have build your .NET component it will be compiled into a DLL. In your ASP.NET project, open Project Menu and select Add Reference, in the resulting dialog select browse and locate the DLL file (I would prefer putting the DLL file in the same location as other aspx files. Thats it.

You will also have to add the namespace of the DLL project using the Imports statement.
    Use [code] source code here[/code] tags when you post source code.

My Articles

hi

Yes i have complied the componenets and have got PigaDeal.dll as result than i kept that dll file into the /Bin Folder. Im using Dreamweaver to design to .aspx page so i have added the following statemtn in my .aspx page

<%@ import namespace="PigaDeal" %>

so it should refer to my component residing in the /bin directory but its giving me the following error

Namespace or type 'PigaDeal' for the Imports 'PigaDeal' cannot be found.

This is not a VB.NET question. It is an ASP.NET question and should have been asked in the ASP.NET forum. I've never used Dreamweaver so I don't know exactly how it works, but if it's anything like Visual Studio then importing a namespace and referencing a library are two completely different things. The fact that your library is named PigaDeal.dll doesn't necessarily mean that it contains a namespace named PigaDeal. In Visual Studio you would have to add a reference to the library before you can access any namespaces it contains. Perhaps Dreamweaver knows to reference all the libraries in this bin folder automatically, but that error message suggests to me that that is not the case.

Check the root namespace of your component in VS by going to Project > Properties