Thread: fastest database to use without Office

fastest database to use without Office

I am rather new to VB and need some basic help to get me going in the right direction.

I am developing a simple program that requires reading and writing to a small database or spreadsheet for calculations.

I am trying to avoid using Excel or Access for my database to keep the program simple and useable by those that may not have Office.

I am also trying to maintain speed and integrate a save and print feature.

I have a version of the program built now that uses Excel and works rather well, but a friend doesn't have Office and can't use the program.

I have noted that there are options for writing to an INI file or even a CSV file. Would either of these be ok for calculating similar to a spreadsheet?

Are there other options that I can try in this particular situation?

Thanks in advance for any help and ideas.
    Last edited by trethacker; Apr 22nd, 2006 at 12:21 AM. Reason: missed a detail

Re: fastest database to use without Office

for operations like calculations and storing the values database will be a better choice...and if your friend doesnt have office then you can export your report in a text file format which can be opened in any system...
    If an answer to your question has been helpful, then please, Rate it!

Have done Projects in Access and Member management systems using BioMetric devices, Smart cards and BarCodes.

Use Access as its not needed to be installed on a system in order to use the db as a back end of your program. Only MDAC is needed. Excel is not good for use as a db.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Thanks for all the help.

Now that I have that question answered, I have a couple more.

I have been scouring the books I have for some sample code or how-to knowledge of a way to transfer info from FlexGrid TO Access and back again.

Can someone give an example of how to copy a cell from flexgrid into a space in access and have that be saveable, and re-readable back INTO FlexGrid again?

I know how to make data show in FlexGrid and move it around, but I cant seem to get data from a db into the FlexGrid.

Second question.

Using FlexGrid, I need my program to move data down the grid each time new data is entered. I have ten rows in my grid. The last row gets bumped off.

I can do it the manual way by copying each cell to the next down cell before entering the newest data, but that is a lot of code for 50 cells. Is there a simple line or two of code I can use to repeat the process of moving data down a cell across my grid without using FlexGrid.Text(cell) = FlexGrid.Text(PrevCell) for each cell in the entire grid?

Maybe even move an entire row down one in a line or something?

Thanks for all the help. You guys are great!

Well I dont have the time to write an entire program but there are several code examples of exporting flexgrid data to Access or other databases and other code examples of importing it back in. Try a search and I know you will get some examples.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6