Thread: Help to Create Active x document exe project

Hyperactive Member

Help to Create Active x document exe project

Dear Friend

I want to create an active x document exe project in vb6.0 throgh which i could modify the records or various tables of database through internet. But i do not know how to do it.

Kinldy help me. Its very urgent.

Thanks in advance

Shivpreet2k1

Re: Help to Create Active x document exe project

Just select ActiveX document exe in the New Project dialog and start writing codes...i never done those kind of projects...
    If an answer to your question has been helpful, then please, Rate it!

Have done Projects in Access and Member management systems using BioMetric devices, Smart cards and BarCodes.

Hyperactive Member

Re: Help to Create Active x document exe project

Hi Friend

Kindly let me know the basics of active x document exe.

Thanks in advance

Shivpreet2k1

Smile Re: Help to Create Active x document exe project

I am not sure that ActiveX documents are what you need for what you are trying to do. I have used them extensively albeit in a particular way.

I find them fantastic for running multiple independent applications within one application. i.e. imagine an MDI application and each of the child forms have a different separately compiled application running.

Back to basics:

The MSDN Library describes an ActiveX Document analogous to a word document in that an ActiveX document needs a container to run in such as IE or a web browser control. I think this can confuse people into thinking ActiveX documents are a form of web application.

When you create an ActiveX document project you get a Userdocument which you can place controls onto and code behind just as you would on a form (note you can also open other forms from the userdocument).

When you compile the ActiveX document project you get a .vbd file for each user document within your project and a .exe (or .dll depending on whether you have a selected an ActiveX EXE or ActiveX DLL project).

To run the application you need a container such as IE or a separate VB Standard EXE application with a form which has a web browser control that navigates to the .vbd file(s). In an MDI application each child form can have a webbrowser control that navigates to a different .vbd file (.vbd files can be from different ActiveX document projects)

Example:

1) Create an ActiveX EXE project.

2) On Userdocument1 place some controls and code e.g. Command button click writes someting to a label.

3) Compile the project to say c:\ActXDocs directory. Will get a UserDocument1.vbd and Project1.exe.

4) Open IE and in the address bar type file://c:/ActXDocs/UserDocument1.vbd in the address bar and Go

5) IE will navigate to the file and the userdocument and its controls will appear in browser.

6) A command button in UserDocument1 could allow the browser to navigate to UserDocument2 using the Userdocument hyperlink object. Remember to add UserDocument2 to the project.

e.g.
    private sub Command1_Click()
    Userdocument.HyperLink.NavigateTo "c:\ActXDocs\UserDocument2.vbd"
    end sub

Note that the .vbd file needs its (.exe or .dll) so you can't compile the project on one machine and simply navigate to the file from another using the browser. The .exe file must be compiled on or deployed to the machine doing the navigating.

I typically use a standard MDI project with a web browser control on a form (which I can resize to suit the userdocument I am "navigating to").

With regard database operations the userdocument can have datagrid and adodb connection to the local or remote database, which you can do from a standard exe project. Otherwise consider using html and adodb within ASP and IE on the remote machine.

Hope this helps.