Thread: need real tutorials...

Frenzied Member

need real tutorials...

how about someone showing how to get an .exe using assembly. You know, instead of just saying use Nasm, Tasm, etc., how about also mentioning that you need other files to actually make it run. People say use TASM, and they forget to mention that you also need a linker.

Frenzied Member

Re: need real tutorials...

a86 RULES!!!!

Addicted Member

I guess a86 is not bad....but it is not free - thats why we use the free ones.
    TASM - its no longer updated - I don't recommend it.
    But i do suggest LZASM which uses TASM syntax if you're looking for that.

As for linkers - the masm32 package includes a linker. (most popular - but less of a favourite)
    Fasm doesn't need a linker. (my favourite)
    Nasm needs a linker - i think the one they include in the package is ALink or something but both NASM and the linker are near enough dead
    RosASM - a nice featured assembler but rather weird syntax a macros.
    a86 - you have to pay for it....why buy one when you can get so many for free???
    YASM - a new assembler - which is GPLed ... it is pretty good from looking at the feature list but i've not used it.
    POAsm - New assembler still in beta stage- but if you check the main Pelles C website - the linker is in the main Pelles C package.

....Fasm, Masm and RosASM are complete packages - so what is the problem of finding a linker?

We are here to help... but we can't answer questions that aren't asked - and try browsing and reading things about assembly programming... its not that difficult to get around. I believe i've pointed out this great masm32 starters' tutorial:

http://www.madwizard.org/view.php?pa...rials.contents

I poured hours over it - and in the end i did get it. Patience is a virtue.

Cheers.
    Ralph

Frenzied Member

I appreciate your response. Sorry if I sounded impatient, but not being able to make a simple "hello world" to work got me frustrated. I found a86 and it's simple enough to teach me the basics.

Addicted Member

I guess a86 can't be bad....being the only commercial assembler i know, apart from perhaps MASM...I think you can order it but most people just use the free version or use the newer version that come with the Visual C package. However, being commercial a86 will have good support and documentation. That I guess is a bonus. I guess you must have bought it already - so i won;t discourage you.

Cheers!

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by benmartin101
    how about someone showing how to get an .exe using assembly.
    In RosAsm , a "Hello, World!" program looks like this:
    Code:
    Main:
        push {"Hello, World!",0}
        call 'MSVCRT.printf'

push 0
        call 'KERNEL32.ExitProcess'
    RosAsm compiles this into a console program.

Best Regards,
    Yeoh
    --
    http://www.geocities.com/yeohhs
    FREE downloads: Assembly, C, C++, C# and .NET source codes and sample ebooks at http://www.yeohhs.com

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by yeohhs
    RosAsm compiles this into a console program.
    How large? One of the reasons to use assembly is to eliminate library bloat. As a pure assembly program, "Hello, World" should run around 25 bytes.
    The most difficult part of developing a program is understanding the problem.
    The second most difficult part is deciding how you're going to solve the problem.
    Actually writing the program (translating your solution into some computer language) is the easiest part.

Please indent your code and use [HIGHLIGHT="VB"] [/HIGHLIGHT] tags around it to make it easier to read.

Please Help Us To Save Ana