Thread: network setup

network setup

hey guys i was looking at my school network and i found that my tech guy set it up really interesting he took all the majour rooms with computers in them and set them up on there own sub network ? i found this very interesting i was wondering what some of the pros and cons there are in this type of network structure. the reason i'm asking is because i'm taking a CCNA course at my school and i'd like to have input from others than my teachers thanx

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Re: network setup

One of the advantages is the possibility that a problem on the network won't affect the entire network, but only that subnet.

Also, you can perform tasks on one particular subnet within that task affecting the entire network. It is good for modular upgrades.

ah see that's why i like other's input all my teachers ever say is " oh its good for security" which in a sense is true considering i for example cant get access to the computers in my libary from my tech class room al least not from basic net use command or remote desktop (not that i would try)its pretty much for other " wannabe " hackers at our school. its actually quite sad to see the amount of wannabe's at our schoolbut thanx for the input i didnt even think of the upgarde situation of it

Addicted Member dim_kevin_as_human's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    One of the advantages is the possibility that a problem on the network won't affect the entire network, but only that subnet.

Also, you can perform tasks on one particular subnet within that task affecting the entire network. It is good for modular upgrades.

Especially while installing OS Images over the network using imagecast or the like. I've hosed entire networks trying push 75 windows images over the network

It’s also my understanding that the larger the DB traffic on a sub the more likely your DB will corrupt.
    Dreaming men are haunted men.