Thread: [RESOLVED] nic card not working

Resolved [RESOLVED] nic card not working

ok guys here the story i got a nic card that was working fine then one day it stopped working so after some tinkering i found it was a bad regestry key preventing it from acessing the interent so i fixed that and now it stopped again it works in any other computer i've tried everything i can think of , swapping the slots on the mobo, disableing and re enabeling it, un installing and re installing the drivers,switching cables,switching ports on my hub. everything short of re installing windows the link light is on on the card but the no singnal light is flashing also. at first i thoguht it may be my PPOE adapter but that's not the probelm i checked that. i thought it may be thinking my other onboard nic is on and looking for that but i disabled my onboard nic ( bc it doesnt work eaither) so i'm out of ideas any suggestions ?

my card is a REALTEK RTL8029 (AS)

Re: nic card not working

Make sure none of the connector pins are bend, I've had that before.
    TPM

Add yourself to the VBForums Frappr Map!!

I've seen this happen on my grandparent's computer. Try going into the Device manager and removing the driver completely. Then restart and let Windows re-detect it. If needed, reinstall the drivers from the manufacturer (that is if Windows doesn't install drivers).

Also, It's just NIC. Saying "Nic Card" is redundant as you're saying "Network Interface Card Card". Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

lol ya i know its a bad habit of mine to say nic card sorry and i've tried what you mentioned and it still didnt work well anyway i unistalled my ppoe adapter and re installed it and now i'm able to ping out to my other computers but i cant ping from the other computers to the bad computer its weird

Do you have a firewall running?
    TPM

Add yourself to the VBForums Frappr Map!!

Addicted Member dim_kevin_as_human's Avatar

Might be worth scanning for malicious software that might be wrecking havoc
    Dreaming men are haunted men.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Are you sure it is the NIC itself?

You mentioned "other computers". Take the NIC out of the problem PC and install it in one that is working and see if you continue to have problems.

If you do, then I'd toss it and get a new NIC.

no i dont have a firewall -TPM- and i've scanned for malware/spyware/viruses i scan it daily but just to be safe i scanned it i read your message and still nothing i'm thinking a browser problem bc when i connect to a secure site i get the secure dialog box but i still get a page not displayed but this happens with both ie and firefox so i dont know i've also tried it on other computers and it works fine

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! Hack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dark_shadow
    i've also tried it on other computers and it works fine
    Then it is not the NIC. You have something funky going on with the computer itself or maybe something funky going on with the workstation jack.

Have you tried plugging a different computer into that jack and see what happens?

its plugged into a hub and its using a port that i had my good computer on so the port should work ... now this is a thought but i had installed solaris 10 would that may have affected it? i dont think it would considering it was installed to a seperate harddrive and the hardrive with windows was not even plaugged in when i used it / installed it

Fanatic Member

Installing another OS will not affect the settings of another OS (unless thats what it was made to do ). Did you try a winsock fix? Just google it, theres like 3 of them out there. Boot up knoppix and see if it works right with knoppix, if it doesn't then theres something up with your computer, if it does work then its with windows and the winsock fix should work.
    My Projects: [ Instant Messagener Client/Server ] [ VBPictochat ]

My Sites:
    [ Datanethost ]
    [ Helpdesk ]

Remember if my post was helpful then Rate This Post.

first off i dont have knoppix second i didnt even get the interent working wuth unix so i dont know if it will work or not

Fanatic Member

Knoppix is free buddy, www.knoppix.org , everyone that has a computer should have a copy of this for emergency purposes .

Which distro did you try and work with? Some distros you have to so much configuring before the OS will even see the network (FreeBSD), others its a matter of point and click (Fedora Core).
    My Projects: [ Instant Messagener Client/Server ] [ VBPictochat ]

My Sites:
    [ Datanethost ]
    [ Helpdesk ]

Remember if my post was helpful then Rate This Post.

i used solaris 10 i also tried the winsock fix and it didnt help i've switched back to my origonal nic card ( the onbard one , i disabled it in bcecause of this same problem) and like b4 it allows me to ping out but not ping to
    Last edited by dark_shadow; Apr 24th, 2006 at 06:30 AM.

First, go to a command prompt (Start --> Run --> Command or CMD) and then type "ping 127.0.0.1" and if you get responses back then your network card is fine and it's a configuration issue. Then go to the advanced properties of your network card by going through your device manager and check the link speed and duplex of the card. First try changing it to auto detect and if that still does not work, try changing it to each different setting to see if any of them work. If none work, change it back to auto-detect.

alright guys i finally got it fixed i put windows 2003 server on it and now the internet works fine so i'm assuming it was a software problem probally a corrupt reg entry or somthing thanks for all your input