Thread: [02/03] Including changing VB6-dll in VB.NET

[02/03] Including changing VB6-dll in VB.NET

I have a VB.NET program that has to import a VB6-dll (because of an other program that only interacts with VB6 and not with VB.NET).

That works just fine, but the probem is, that I constantly get updates for this VB6-dll and I always have to compile it on my computer, then remove the reference in the .NET project and set the references anew, and then send it back again. That's a horror for purposes of programming and trouble-shooting.

Is there any way to include a VB6-dll in such a way, that one can simply replace it, and the .NET application still works?

Or am I doing something completely wrong?

thx,
    Malgrim

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

Re: [02/03] Including changing VB6-dll in VB.NET

that is one of the big pain in the butts for DLLs and VB6...

A few things you could look at are

1) why can't the VB6 dll code be incorporated right into the .NET code? In other words, why is it as you say, the "other" program that interacts with the VB6 dll can't interact with a .NET app? .NET apps can be exposed to COM, which is what the VB6 dll is doing...

2) you could look into binary compatibility, although it often breaks when major changes are done with the DLL.. its basically a way you can recompile a DLL with changes but it doesn't need to be re-registered or anything.. which would probably make your reference still work, however, like I said, it only works so well....

I would personally try to get away from the VB6 dll if you can, and move it to .NET.... if you need help with THAT, there are lots of people on the forums who can assist.

The other program is AutoCAD 2004. I'm don't have that program myself, so there is little I can do to test it with .NET, but the other programmer assured me that it only works with VB6.

What I really don't get is, that I not only have to renew the references, I have to actually compile his dll at my machine. Just replacing it, reregistering it and renewing the references in the .NET project won't work at all.

I'm about to be a PowerPoster! kleinma's Avatar

where are you replacing it at exactly? into the system32 directory? or into your .NET application directory?

The .NET application directory.

Anyway, the binary compatibility seems to work.

Thanks a lot,
    Malgrim