Thread: Form_Terminate is not working?????

Form_Terminate is not working?????

Dear Sir,

I've code to close the database connection in the Form_Terminate() event. But as I exit the system by clicking at the 'X' button on the up-right corner, the system is still running at the background. I need to open the task manager to terminate the whole system.

Is there any way to solve this?

Thanks...:-)

Re: Form_Terminate is not working?????

yea happened to me also ,instead of unloading the main form and ending the application,i unloaded the main form then loaded the login form and unloaded the login form ,this way i got rid of that strange problem(actually i have a login form ,after which the main mdiform is shown).
    hope that will give u some idea
    ___\_ (_________(_/______
    ____\_)_________________

Use the Form_QueryUnload event.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

i tried that too ,still the problem dint get sorted out.i think the adodc connections take time to terminate and the form gets unloaded before that!!
    ____\_)_________________

But in the QueryUnload event are you closing and destroying the recordsets and connections?
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

yea exactly .but it was saying "memory exception ,could not write to refernced memory at address ....some crap,"
    so i unloded my main mdi(and all child forms),then loaded the login form and unloaded it to gracefully exit from the system.
    ____\_)_________________

Oh an MDI app then yes you need to handle it differently like you did. But for the thread starter if its a regular form app then the QueryUnload event will work just fine.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

add a end word in your form_terminate()

i sugest that you create a function in which you will close all connection and end your system and just call this up when ever you terminate or you want to close your application

=============
    ..code masters..

There is almost no valid use for the "End" command unless you have a app that only uses modules. End is considered bad progframming practive to "fix" some other issue.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

i said that before issuing the end command, you may want to dispose all the objects you used specially on connections. end will kill your process at all.

=============
    ..code masters..

Yes, I know, but its still bad practice even if you do perform a "clean up" first.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

people really thinks end is a bad practice but they are missing the point here. End will clear your entry in the Processes of the window thus allowing more mem for other apps. it is not really a bad practice since you will free up what you have used. if you just used a simple close then you will leave something hanging for that instance.

=============
    ..code masters..

Well its a very debatable topic and has been posted many times on the forums already but you could argue that if you write your code correctly then you wouldnt need to use End.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

it is a safety measure for some reason like on severe error occurance

=============
    ..code masters..

Well I can honestly say that I have never used End in any of my apps since becoming fluent in VB several years ago. I dont want to go too far off topic but perhaps a search for the past threads would be better if you want more info on why not to use it.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011