Thread: [2005] Visual Studio 2005 Standard

Resolved [2005] Visual Studio 2005 Standard

Wasn't sure where I should post this but I remember hearing many people saying Setup and Deployment projects, as well as developing on smart devices (using the Comptact Framework) were features ONLY available in the Professional and Team System editions of Visual Studio 2005.

Well, today I received my free copy of Visual Studio 2005 Standard from Microsoft (did that ASP webcast thing) and I just wanted to clear these items up.

• Visual Studio 2005 Standard includes project templates and ways to develop on smart devices/pocket PCs. It works quite well, actually.
    • Visual Studio 2005 Standard includes projects for developing a setup as well as as setup wizard and cab projects.

I know many of you already knew this but I've seen a lot of threads say neither of those came with the standard edition and I just wanted to let everyone know it does.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

Hyperactive Member nothingofvalue's Avatar

Re: [2005] Visual Studio 2005 Standard

If Standard has the setup and deployment options that that is cool, however, most people (including me) don't believe Standard has anything more than click-once because according to Microsoft that is all it has.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge..."

Albert Einstein
    -----------------------------------------------
    If my reply helped you then you really were lost, but I still took the time to help, please rate it anyway

I have VS 2005 Standard and it comes with Setup and Deployment templates for:
    Setup Project
    Web Setup Project
    Merge Module Project
    Setup Wizard
    CAB Project
    Smart Device CAB Project
    I have noticed that it does not have any Windows Service templates.

Quote Originally Posted by nothingofvalue
    If Standard has the setup and deployment options that that is cool, however, most people (including me) don't believe Standard has anything more than click-once because according to Microsoft that is all it has.
    This was one of the reasons why I posted this. I don't know why they say it's only ClickOnce when it isn't.
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes