Thread: what things to keep in mind when installing XP

what things to keep in mind when installing XP

hello,

i am thinking of installing Win XP on my home pc now. till now i have been using Win 98 and i want to know if there is something to take care about when using a different file system for the first time.

will it pose any problem when upgrading from FAT to NTFS?? or any other problems?? if so please specify with some solution.

thank you

PS: BTW i will first format the drive then do the clean install of XP (probably Pro)
    Show Appreciation. Rate Posts.

Re: what things to keep in mind when installing XP

Well if you're formatting then installing Pro there won't be any problems, i suppose you could save yourself some time by formatting into NTFS to begin with, but, to be honest you could pop the XP CD in and upgrade from Windows 98 (I think). And then you are given the option to convert to NTFS.

You cannot howver convert from NTFS to FAT32, or FAT16 for that matter.
    Zeegnahtuer?

I'm about to be a PowerPoster!

If you format first no problems. Backup somewhere and then you can move your stuff back onto the new NTFS partition once Win is installed.

all right!!

1 more thing PG, by Backup somewhere you mean not using other HDD partition.

i am sorry, i am not much aware of these things. please correct me if i am wrong, when we install an OS, say Win 98, then all the drives (all HDD partition) uses the FAT system or only that drive where OS is installed??

hope you ppl get my question!!

Different partitions can use different File systems, so yes, one partition can be NTFS and the other FAT32. Just don't delete the partitions if you back-up to one. Just format the partition where your OS is. (Win 98 partition in this case) the other (backup) partition should remain intact.
    Zeegnahtuer?

so can i see those partition,which have no OS installed on them, after i format and install XP?? will Xp ask if i want to delete the existing partition or will it install just like 98??

Harsh

XP Pro asked me where to install to, and it listed the partitions. The main danger is that you ask it to install to the wrong partition.

And if you can't see the partitions after you've installed Win XP you can use Disk Management to assign them a drive letter, so they actually appear
    Zeegnahtuer?

you can install xp on fat partition also ,use the convert command to convert to ntfs if u want later .
    and also try to keep the system partition(on which u installed xp) empty and clean as too many files in it will make it run slower(esp program files folder).

while installing xp u need to format the partition on which u will install xp ,choose the quick method,will reduce your time (usually takes 35-45 minutes solid)
    ___\_ (_________(_/______
    ____\_)_________________

"The" RedHeadedLefty
    College Station, TX Preferred Nickname: Gig Current Mood: Just Peachy Turnons: String Manipulation

I only use a 20GB partition for my XP, and 200+ for all of my data, which includes Pictures, Music, Video, etc. Program files I still use on my 20GB system drive. Most of the space that is taken up on a drive is a person's media, so I have gotten by with a 20GB system drive for a long time. I still have about 8 or 9 gigs free with tons of things installed, including Visual Studio with all of the documentation. As long as you keep all the media on a seperate drive, you can get by with a smaller system drive size... Also helps with defragging the system drive, as all of that media is not scattered all across the main windows drive.

Quote Originally Posted by thegreatone
    And if you can't see the partitions after you've installed Win XP you can use Disk Management to assign them a drive letter, so they actually appear
    yes, that's my main query!! if i format my system drive and install XP and it fails to see the partitions, is it bad for the stuff i have backedup in other drives??

Harsh

Hyperactive Member Arrow_Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by litlewiki
    you can install xp on fat partition also ,use the convert command to convert to ntfs if u want later .
    and also try to keep the system partition(on which u installed xp) empty and clean as too many files in it will make it run slower(esp program files folder).

while installing xp u need to format the partition on which u will install xp ,choose the quick method,will reduce your time (usually takes 35-45 minutes solid)
    Well if this computer has windows 98 then its probably older. You have to worry about the harddrive on older computers. He may want to do a full format and not quick because if the harddrive is going bad, a full format will show that.
    My monkey wearing the fedora points and laughs at you.