Thread: Creating a small WIFI or Hotspot, bridging LANS with wireless?

Hyperactive Member

Creating a small WIFI or Hotspot, bridging LANS with wireless?

I am looking for a wireless solution to solve 2 problems:

A) I need to create a wifi or hotspot in a local subdivision. Each block is about 300 feet wide and 300 feet deep. I want to start with a test area of 4 blocks 600 feet wide by 600 feet deep. Maybe the best low cost options, that can easily be expanded with by new equipment, just add more repeaters or access points.... Minimum use of towers or extensive antennas. Clients may need flatpanel in window or external omnidirectional antena. Terrain is relative high ground and flat. Scattered buildings and trees, most under 30 feet.

B) I need to bridge LAN in building A with LAN in Building B which are about 1/4 mile apart with wireless radios. Very few obstructions, just both LANS are encased inside concrete building that are about 18 feet above the ground. Basically they have thick walls, very few windows.

Now, someone school me in wireless. Remember, low cost and yet relaibale real word solutions here. What options should I look at first?

Thanks for looking

PowerPoster

Re: Creating a small WIFI or Hotspot, bridging LANS with wireless?

For A I'd use Linksys WRT54G or GS wireless routers with any firmware that supports wireless bridge mode. There are a couple available for download. If you mount them high and in the clear you shouldn't need more than a few per block.

For B I'd use 2 of them connected by Cantennas. If you're careful you can make one for under $10 and it'll be as good as a bought one.

Try http://www.seattlewireless.net/ and http://www.seattlewireless.com/ for starters.

Hyperactive Member

Thanks for the lead.

Maybe this is a little extreme...

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/columns/article.php/1008901

lol,

You need to have a better signal for this one....I would recommend NETGEAR, as
    far as i know its cost effective and has the best specs for wireless solutions.

best regards..

Hyperactive Member

Hyperactive Member

Site claims up to 1 mile, I bought $300 worth of the eqiupment above. I am going to put omni at 45 ft elevation to another rooftop with a flat panel aprrox 1500 foot away.

That is less than 1 mile.... correct?

I will test this claim just as soon as I get the antenna up to 45 ft above trees.... any wagers?

1 mile = 5280 ft.. so yes thats just over a 1/4 mile
    JPnyc rocks!! (Just ask him!)
    If u have your answer please go to the thread tools and click "Mark Thread Resolved"

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Static
    1 mile = 5280 ft.. so yes thats just over a 1/4 mile
    haha... was one of them rheotircal queries

Thanks, for the comfirmation. Now weather permiting, I need verify this claim

PowerPoster

Depending on the "omni" (which can range from a 2 element Yagi to a 12 food diameter parabolic dish, or something even more extreme), 1500 feet should be a piece of cake. About the only problem I can see is that, with 2 pretty high gain antennas, you may overload the receivers. I'm running Cantennas over a path the map says is .58 miles, with quite a bit of foliage in the path now, and I get very strong signals both ways.
    The most difficult part of developing a program is understanding the problem.
    The second most difficult part is deciding how you're going to solve the problem.
    Actually writing the program (translating your solution into some computer language) is the easiest part.

Please indent your code and use [HIGHLIGHT="VB"] [/HIGHLIGHT] tags around it to make it easier to read.

Please Help Us To Save Ana