Thread: [RESOLVED] [2005] Reading Webpages

Resolved [RESOLVED] [2005] Reading Webpages

Is there anyway given a website url can I read the webpage source (ie. HTML, etc code). And report back how many times each word was used?

C# - .NET 1.1 / .NET 2.0

"Take everything I say with a grain of salt, sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong but in the end we've both learned something."
    Database FAQ & Tutorial

Hyperactive Member

Re: [2005] Reading Webpages

not entirely sure about the downloading the page part but you should be able to open the html page once it's downloaded and read the whole thing in with a streamreader and then use ummmmm i think instring or one of those types of functions to test for how many times the word occurs.
    I tried to end process on Visual Studio 2005
    but PETA stopped me saying it's smart enough
    to be a living creature

"The" RedHeadedLefty
    College Station, TX Preferred Nickname: Gig Current Mood: Just Peachy Turnons: String Manipulation

A combination of reading the html into a string and then using a regex expression to return the matches of the text you want to find. I had replied a while back on a similar question, and both can be found on this thread:

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=367537

***EDIT - you are probably better off using a regex match collection (not shown in that thread), then all you need to do to get the number of instances of the word you found was get the count of matches in the matchcollection..

An example of using a matchcollection: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=379735

when I did something like this a while back I downloaded the whole html file, read it into a string and then deleted the file Might be a dodgy solution but it worked and it was surprisingly fast too.
    Let me know if youd like to know more.
    Rate posts that helped you. I do not reply to PM's with coding questions.
    How to Get Your Questions Answered
    Current project: tunaOS
    Me on.. BitBucket, Google Code, Github (pretty empty)

I see, thanks for the advice, which now leads me to the next question is how can I download the html file from the website ?

C# - .NET 1.1 / .NET 2.0

"Take everything I say with a grain of salt, sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong but in the end we've both learned something."
    Database FAQ & Tutorial

do it the way web browsers do it, have a look at the TCPClient socket class, you just need to connect the socket to the website domain e.g google.com, port 80 for the HTTP request, once connected, send
    Code:
    "GET /folder/file.html HTTP/1.1" & vbcrlf & vbcrlf
    the server will return the HTML along with a HTTP header, so you need to cut off the header, and you will have the pure HTML just as a web browser would
    Chris

"The" RedHeadedLefty
    College Station, TX Preferred Nickname: Gig Current Mood: Just Peachy Turnons: String Manipulation

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpercables
    I see, thanks for the advice, which now leads me to the next question is how can I download the html file from the website ?
    Did you ignore my post? There is a searchpage function in the first link that reads the html into a string.... the second link is an example of using regex on a string to return matches...

I must have over looked it sorry gigemboy - Thanks! I will get started.

C# - .NET 1.1 / .NET 2.0

Database FAQ & Tutorial