Thread: How to detect if Opera is installed ? (and get the Opera folder location)

Arrow How to detect if Opera is installed ? (and get the Opera folder location)

I have searched the 'Opera community forum' and Google for last 60 minutes, but can't find any answer.

Can anyone please tell me if there is any way to programetically detect wheather Opera is installed in my client's PC or not ?
    Also, Is there any way to detect Opera installation folder ?

Thanks in advance.
    Usefull VBF Threads/Posts I Found . My flickr page .
    "I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." - Rita Rudner

Re: How to detect if Opera is installed ? (and get the Opera folder location)

if using VB 6, then try using SearchTreeForFile API. it will give you the path of the file.

since i dont have Opera installed, i tried for FireFox and it worked.

VB Code:
    1. Private Declare Function SearchTreeForFile Lib "imagehlp" (ByVal RootPath As String, ByVal InputPathName As String, ByVal OutputPathBuffer As String) As Long
    3. Private Sub Form_Load()
    5.     Dim tmpStr As String, myResult As Long
    7.     tmpStr = String(260, 0)
    9.     myResult = SearchTreeForFile("c:\", "filename with extension", tmpStr)
    10.     If myResult <> 0 Then
    11.         MsgBox "Location : " + Left(tmpStr, InStr(1, tmpStr, Chr(0)) - 1)
    12.     Else
    13.         MsgBox "File not found!"
    14.     End If
    15. End Sub
    Harsh
    Show Appreciation. Rate Posts.

Thanks Harsh.

I posted same question in Opera community and received a reply.

If anyone knows ANY other information on this topic, please please help me.

Thanks !
    Last edited by iPrank; Apr 14th, 2006 at 09:44 PM.
    "I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life." - Rita Rudner

Just remember, users like myself have Windows installed on a different drive other than C. My opera install is located in E:\Program Files\Opera\

Having said that, I also wouldn't rely on the filename as I can rename Opera.exe to IHateInternetExplorerThisMightBeOpera.exe. Opera would still work but your function would not.

I would see if the opera develoeprs could shed any light on this
    KrisSiegel.com - My Personal Website with my blog and portfolio
    Don't Forget to Rate Posts!

Free Icons: FamFamFam, VBCorner, VBAccelerator
    Useful Links: System.Security.SecureString Managed DPAPI Overview Part 1 Managed DPAPI Overview Part 2 MSDN, MSDN2, Comparing the Timer Classes

yes, we all forgot about the registry thingy. you could take a look at RegOpenKeyEx API or RegOpenKey.

sorry, could not help much on this. i have never used these APIs before.

this will still work even if ppl change the name of the exe.

Harsh

EDIT: remember to use RegCloseKeyEx to close the open registry value.

Thanks. I know 'bout those registry APIs.

I was looking for those exact Keys.
    ..anyway now it is time to fireup VM and test with all versions of Opera I have.

sorry, my post was not complete.

you can check for the installed components, Reg Key:

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\uninstall\Opera (or whatever)
    see if it helps you!!

Harsh

Thanks.
    The problem with Opera (and Firefox) is, it doesn't need to be installed everytime you format/reinstall Windows.
    If you backup your profiles and program files, Opera will work anywhere without any problem if required system dlls are present.

Again, different versions of Opera can stay side-by-side without any problem.

I guess,I'll first try to get the keys mentioned by haavard and Rijk in my thread at Opera Communiny forum.

If the keys are not present,I'll use the uninstaller information.

If nothing is found then I'll use your SearchTreeForFile method with GetFileVersionInfo and VerQueryValue to check company information and fileversion.
    Last edited by iPrank; Apr 16th, 2006 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iPrank
    ...The problem with Opera (and Firefox) is, it doesn't need to be installed everytime you format/reinstall Windows.
    If you backup your profiles and program files, Opera will work anywhere without any problem if required system dlls are present....
    could you shed some light on this.

you mean that if i just copy-paste the FireFox folder from Program files location to somewhere else (in the back-up drive), then also i can expect the browser to work??

Not sure about Firefox.
    But for Opera (in singleuser mode) it is true.

In multiuser mode a simple backup of profile folder and some settings chande in Opera.ini will work.

In fact, I use a single copy of Opera in every OS in my multiboot system. Saves time - but insecure.

hmm, wierdo!! will never try such stuff.

thank you